Utah’s Prop 2, the Church’s Involvement, and If You Disagree

I (like many of you) recently got an email from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Part of it read, and I quote, "...we urge members of Utah to vote NO on Proposition 2." It's not very often that the Church gets quite this involved in political matters, but it does happen. This rubs some people the wrong way. Out of the two universal subjects you're not supposed to broach in casual conversation, this kind of situation involves both religion and politics. So, let's address the topic. This article is going to take a look at two specific questions: 1. Is it OK for the Church to be involved in politics, even to the point of influencing your personal beliefs? 2. How should members react to political counsel from ecclesiastical leaders? Question 1 Is political influence from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints OK? Well, that's a subjective question. I think it's fine, you might think it's not. But whatever we think, prophets involving themselves in politics has been...

View the full article

The prophet has every right to weigh in on every subject especially politics.  I have seen a few upset members (mostly less active) voice their unhappiness with the church on facebook on this subject.  I think with Elder Nelson, and in the coming days, the church leadership will be more vocal and there will be more members who get upset because it disagrees with their personal beliefs.  It happened long ago, it happens today and will happen in the future.  

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

It’s been amusing seeing so many people saying “well, golly gee willikers, I had NO IDEA the Church might ever weigh in on a political issue!”  And I’m like “sorry, brother, but what rock have you been living under for the last ten years?”

Um, this is the first time they've said anything political dude. That entire gay marriage thing? Never happened. 

Edited by MormonGator

Churches have a responsibility and a right to speak out on moral issues. The Constitution neither states nor implies that churches shall not involve themselves in moral issues pertaining to government, only that government shall not establish a religion or prohibit the exercise of religion and free speech.

11 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Churches have a responsibility and a right to speak out on moral issues. The Constitution neither states nor implies that churches shall not involve themselves in moral issues pertaining to government, only that government shall not establish a religion or prohibit the exercise of religion and free speech.

Say, that reminds me of something I saw somewhere on Facebook . . . ;) 

I can't understand the outrage of some. The church has weighed in on gay marriage, gambling, and immigration issues and that's just recently (Joseph Smith was running for president when he was martyred). I find it amusing that people are more than happy to take the church's side when they agree with what's being said, but the minute the church takes a position they don't like they start quoting articles of faith and saying the church should mind it's own business. It's almost as if they forget who runs the church☺.

I would be more concerned if the Church of Jesus Christ said nothing about moral and political matters which mattered to morality.  I don't think a group of prophets who won't open their mouths to oppose spiritually dangerous legislation or world views would be legitimate.  I am always happy when our leaders have the courage to speak up even when it is unpopular for them to do so.