How soon is Jesus coming?

Chilean

I know, we don't know when He's coming (He doesn't even know). But I just want to know your thoughts on this topic, just for the fun of it, as probably everything we say here about will be speculation.  

What are your thoughts? Do you think he's coming within the next 100 years? I personally think He is coming soon, maybe even within the next 30 to 40 years.

2 hours ago, Chilean said:

I know, we don't know when He's coming (He doesn't even know). But I just want to know your thoughts on this topic, just for the fun of it, as probably everything we say here about will be speculation.  

What are your thoughts? Do you think he's coming within the next 100 years? I personally think He is coming soon, maybe even within the next 30 to 40 years.

We will all be long dead before he comes. I see no indications that a second coming is eminent. 

Guest MormonGator

There is a reason legit religions don't make dates about His return. I have no idea when His return will be, nor would I be so foolish/bold as to place a timetable on it. 

Edited by MormonGator

3 hours ago, Chilean said:

We are informed that the Lord will come as a thief in the night, and will probably come during a time when people are saying he isn't coming. It wouldn't shock me if the Lord's return was in our day; although, we have many prophecies which still need to be fulfilled. The most important one is that Zion will be built, and we are not quite there yet. There are other prophecies which still need to be fulfilled also, and we are not quite there yet.

Word of note, do we truly believe that Christ (who is one with the Father, and is God), who has seen the end from the beginning, doesn't know when he is coming?

The best answer I could provide as to when Christ is coming is the following, "Christ is coming tomorrow, so let us be prepared for the morrow when he comes."

@Chilean

You probably won’t get any honest answers to your question from us because  we care little about the actual date of his arrival. I’m honestly more concerned about what I’m having for lunch than i am about guessing the time of his coming.

Suppose you were somehow given the sure knowledge of when the Lord would return. What would you do with that knowledge? Would you live riotously up until a few years before his coming, then try to repent? Would you make large stock market buys or sells, or engage in speculative real estate purchases in Jackson County, Missouri?

I submit that knowing the day and hour of the Lord's coming would not make even a particle of difference in our behaviors, or if it did, that just shows that we don't have the faith and testimony we need -- all the more reason not to know such things.

True story: We needed to stand up some virtual servers to do some testing on our Laboratory Information Management System, or LIMS.  The virtual machines needed to be assigned names to form the connections to them.  Somebody proposed LIMBO, and then I almost got them to name the other two servers PURGATORY and RAPTURE.

Naturally, they declared that all of my work would be run in PURGATORY.

9 hours ago, Chilean said:

Is this doctrine?  Is God the Father the only one who knows when Christ's second coming will occur?

When Christ comes again is something I care deeply about.  Isn't it supposed to get pretty ugly leading up to his return?  It was pretty bad for believers in Christ among the Nephites leading to the sign of his birth. 

Edited by FoolsMock

For each of us, his second coming will probably not be as important as when we see him again...which for some of us will be sooner than others.  I expect I'll see him sooner than many of you, but that's only because some of us will die before others will and I expect many of you will out live me.  The day that you pass away is the day you might want to be prepared to meet the Lord.

54 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

For each of us, his second coming will probably not be as important as when we see him again...which for some of us will be sooner than others.  I expect I'll see him sooner than many of you, but that's only because some of us will die before others will and I expect many of you will out live me.  The day that you pass away is the day you might want to be prepared to meet the Lord.

That is so true!  That's a good to look at it.

15 hours ago, FoolsMock said:

Is this doctrine?  Is God the Father the only one who knows when Christ's second coming will occur?

I've always heard that, that He doesn't know, Only Heavenly Father. Jesus said in the New Testament: “Of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only” (Matthew 24:36).

15 hours ago, FoolsMock said:

Isn't it supposed to get pretty ugly leading up to his return?  It was pretty bad for believers in Christ among the Nephites leading to the sign of his birth. 

Yes, and that's why I was asking the question. We know of the signs, and we can see how many of them are happening right now.  I've heard things throughout the years, things that are supposed to happen in the church before he comes, involving the Kirtland temple and Jackson Missouri, but I wonder if maybe those things will take place during the millennium.

Some times I wonder how much worst the world has to get for him to come back.

I expect Jesus will return to reign within the next millennium. I suspect he will not return within this century. If I were a betting man, I would probably go with four hundred years from now.

Obviously, this is a question that (1) is not revealed and (2) we shouldn't worry about. Suffice it to observe that we are the LATTER-DAY Saints, so clearly we believe that these are the last days of the wicked world before its cleansing for Christ's millennial reign. If the prophets and scriptures have spoken and do speak of Christ's return as imminent, I want to say nothing that would contradict that idea.

Having said that, I do see a spiritual snare in believing that Christ will return in X years, where X<100 (especially where X<<100). People with this attitude tend to get an apocalyptic mindset and adopt a painfully fatalistic view. When coupled with short-term for-profit thinking, this makes for potentially tragic (and hilarious, if you're into laughing at people for their foolishness) decisions. You need think no further back than the people who mortgaged their properties to the hilt, went out and bought a bunch of toys and survivalist gear, and lived in a trailer before the end of the year 1999, sure that Christ's imminent coming would sweep clean the face of the land.

Doctrinal ignorance + spiritual myopia + lusts of the flesh = personal disaster

On 8/29/2018 at 7:18 AM, Chilean said:

It is my impression that those who think the 2nd coming will not be know by anyone before the event are misinterpreting scripture - which obviously is not very hard to do.  There are many signs that will take place and like the seasons those that are led by the spirit will be prepared.  Those that rely on literal interpretations of scripture will be no better off than the rest of the world.  I do find it interesting that religious experts thinking they understand scripture, for the last 2,000 years have speculated that Jesus would soon (withing a generation or two) return. 

I am not going to predict when he will come - other than to say - I believe it is possible (not necessarily likely) within the next 10 years and as the time draws closer it will become more evident.  (think Book of Mormon and predictions of his first coming - which I believe is a type and shadow of things to come - Ecc 1:9-10)

The Traveler

7 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I am not going to predict when he will come - other than to say - I believe it is possible (not necessarily likely) within the next 10 years and as the time draws closer it will become more evident.  (think Book of Mormon and predictions of his first coming - which I believe is a type and shadow of things to come - Ecc 1:9-10)

The Traveler

An interesting phrase in scripture is the notion of "not many years", as in the following, "Now this great iniquity had come upon the Nephites, in the space of not many years;"

9 hours ago, Chilean said:

I've always heard that, that He doesn't know, Only Heavenly Father. Jesus said in the New Testament: “Of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only” (Matthew 24:36).

Yes, and that's why I was asking the question. We know of the signs, and we can see how many of them are happening right now.  I've heard things throughout the years, things that are supposed to happen in the church before he comes, involving the Kirtland temple and Jackson Missouri, but I wonder if maybe those things will take place during the millennium.

Some times I wonder how much worst the world has to get for him to come back.

Yeah these are things I wonder about too.  Not much progress (from my limited perspective and understanding) seems to be made in the Jackson County Missouri thing.  Isn't that where the capitol of Zion is supposed to be?  It is hard to say what needs to happen before the Second Coming and what will happen during the millenium

7 hours ago, Traveler said:

The Traveler

Are you referring to the persecution of the Nephites who believed in Christ near the end of the Book of Helaman leading up the sign of Christ's birth? I find it fascinating how the philosophies of the anti-Christs during that time period line up so well with the view points of  today's non-believers in Christ.  And it seems every year it becomes less and less acceptable in the world's eyes for The Church to believe in the things we believe