My Catholic son is driving me nuts

I didn't want to hijack another post with my son and his continued down beating of the LDS religion.

He just doesn't want to accept that there can be any other view, opinion, or truth. It is starting to hurt my heart that he just keeps pounding.

Is it a required Catholic stance to bombard others with a multitude of questions on top of questions?

I try to answer the ones that he can confirm in the Bible, and my common sense rebuttal on the obvious wrong statements. 

Any help, advice or support would be welcome.

Guest MormonGator

Be patient. My situation is reversed. I'm the son, and my devoutly Catholic mother drives me nuts with comments about the LDS religion and how the Catholic church is right, and former Catholics go to Hell, etc etc. I know it's out of love-and I'm sure with your son it's also based in love.  

Remember that every religion is exclusionary to some degree, and adult converts can enthusiastic and extreme in their views. So if the situation gets too antagonistic, it's best to agree not to talk about religion at all. 

You have the right to set some boundaries, like he has to be respectful, he has to be accurate (no misrepresenting our faith's teachings), he has to be intellectually honest etc.  If he doesn't do that, then you just call him on it and refuse to discuss religion with him until he shapes up.  If he is not open to learning what we believe and why we believe it to truely understand us, then there is no point.  If he is on some kind of self righteous ego trip don't play along.

Also, be clear on your own objective.  Don't try and get him to believe what you believe, just make sure he has an accurate understanding of what we believe, and why we believe it (if he is willing to listen).  Then leave him free to choose his own path.  It really all just comes down to who you choose to listen to

In terms of dealing with specific accusations, I find FAIR to be a superb resource
https://www.fairmormon.org/answers/Main_Page

If he is honest at heart, and you can show him where he is being mislead and deceived about us, you can ask him why continue to listen to people who are misleading you?

8 hours ago, Lindy said:

I didn't want to hijack another post with my son and his continued down beating of the LDS religion.

He just doesn't want to accept that there can be any other view, opinion, or truth. It is starting to hurt my heart that he just keeps pounding.

Is it a required Catholic stance to bombard others with a multitude of questions on top of questions?

I try to answer the ones that he can confirm in the Bible, and my common sense rebuttal on the obvious wrong statements. 

Any help, advice or support would be welcome.

No, his hounding you isn't required.  For what it's worth, he is doing it out of love and concern for your soul.

My advice: charity needs to come before speaking with the tongue of angels.  Focus on love and re-solidfying your relationship first and foremost -- not debating which only serves for contention.  If needs be, put up a healthy boundary by saying something like "I love you son, but I'm not wanting to talk about faith with you for a while.  How has your work been?"

(Speaking as a person harassed by Evangelical mother-in-law for a +15 years).

Thank you ladies and gents- I do feel better after saying a little prayer then sitting down and basically typing out my testimony to send to him. Patience, love, kindness, boundaries and respect are all good things to keep in mind.

I know his pestering is done out of love trying to save my soul.

He called me (in tears) on a Thanksgiving day over 12 years ago begging me to leave the Church or I was going to Hell. I tried to assure him I was not leaving the Church nor was I going to Hell. He was desperate to keep me from the fire.  I know it was all in love.

You know something funny? Out of my four children, my Catholic son is the only one who calls or texts me to keep in contact. My two LDS girls normally call me only if they need something or need to vent about the other sibling(s).

Thanks again for the advice and support! :-)