Book of Mormon Prophecy Reveals Why Moroni Took the Golden Plates Back From Joseph Smith

Allow me to start off with a conversation you might be vaguely familiar with: Me (eagerly): "Yeah, Joseph Smith translated these really cool ancient gold-colored plates into what we call The Book of Mormon!" Them (inquisitively): "Sweet! Can I see a picture of the plates? Or do I have to go to Utah to see them?" Me (matter-of-factly): "Actually there aren't any pictures, and they're not even on display in Utah." Them (confusedly): "So you've never seen them?" Me (less-eagerly): "Um, no. God commanded Joseph to keep them private. But a dozen or so other people did see them." Them (suspiciously): "Well where are the plates now?" Me (grinning painfully): "The angel who gave Joseph the plates took them back after Joseph finished translating." Them (skeptically): "Oh ... how ... convenient. Why'd he do that?" Me (kicking myself): "Uhh ... because Joseph didn't need them anymore? Moroni wanted them for his bookshelf? I have no idea." This article (forcing itself into the conversation): "Well let me tell you!" Stuff you should know via bookofmormoncentral.org Theft attempts It's a common argument from modern...

View the full article