Not Crying in Church Doesn’t Make You a Heathen

During my much too brief six years in Young Women's, I always looked forward to Girls' Camp. I loved the songs, the hours spent giggling at night when we should have been asleep, the testimony meetings, and everything in between. It was my happy place. Until this one moment. I remember so vividly sitting in a single tent with all the other young women in my ward. It must have been raining, because I can imagine no other scenario where all 15+ of us would voluntarily squish in one tent (along with our bishop) in Virginia's summer heat. A spiritual message had been shared, and then the girls took turns bearing their testimonies. It was an incredibly spiritual experience, and there wasn't a dry eye in the house... Er, tent. Except for mine. This turned from a spiritually uplifting experience to a really awkward one for me within a matter of seconds. Literally everyone was crying. I tried so hard to join them — I thought of the saddest things I could, I pinched myself, I...

View the full article

Good article. The testimony of the Holy Ghost affects me in different ways. Just one is tearing up. One Sunday a young family was visiting our Branch and they "took" hubby and my seats in the chapel. So, we ended up sitting behind them. It was a truly Spirit filled Sacrament, after the sacrament hymn and blessing of the bread, their 10-12 yr old daughter turned to face Hubby and myself and she had the most serene look on her face.

Yep, the Holy Ghost was right there, testifying to her of the truth of the words in the hymn AND the words of the sacramental prayer blessing the bread.

Now, after the passing of the water - she wrapped her arms around her father's arm - hugged him. Nestled her entire body to him and looked up with such a wondrous look, and again with that serene smile.  It actually took my breath away. A few other times I have witnessed the pure love of a child to it's father. Or, was it the pure love of a father to his child???

When I was a 1st Counselor in Primary, we strove to teach the children how to live so that the Holy Ghost would always be with us. To teach the many, many ways we can feel the presence of the Holy Ghost. 

This article has me wondering if these same lessons are being taught to our teens? Oh, how I hope they are.