Nike

mirkwood

I woke up at 0500 today. I put on one of my black non-endorsement t-shirts I wear every day to work. Over that shirt I strapped on my body armor. No endorsements on it either, or anywhere on my uniform. Just your basic dark blue shirt and pants. Oh I do wear things on my shirt, a badge, some ribbons because someone said I did a good job on a call. I wear my name on my shirt too, but no endorsements. I work a primarily white community, but we do have a heavy Hispanic population and some African refugees. I will talk to many of them today. Some of them will call me names. Some will hate me because I wear a uniform. Because I stand for something. Twenty one years ago I took an oath and signed a blank check to the citizens of Salt Lake County. I made that blank check payable up to and including my life. I hope I don’t have to sacrifice everything today, but I will if asked, because I actually stand for something.

~mirk

nike.jpg

Dear Nike,

I want to have a conversation about this hat. It's over 13 years old. I don't remember when I bought it exactly, I don't remember where I bought it. But what I do remember is why I wore it.

On August 10, 2005, I was a newlywed with two young sons. My husband Tim and I had toasted our one month anniversary the night before, and I was enjoying a rare evening to myself, catching up on reading and relishing the quiet. Until there was a knock on my door. I had no way of knowing that the small act of turning a knob was about to shatter my life into a million pieces. I sat numb and in sheer disbelief as I was told that my husband, while in a foot pursuit and subsequent struggle with a suspect that ended up in the road, had been struck and killed by an oncoming vehicle. He took his last breath lying in the middle of the street. What I lost in that moment is indescribable. I had to watch his mother be dealt the most agonizing blow a parent can face, and I couldn't comfort her because I was in my own hell. I had to find a way to gut my own children in the gentlest way possible, and tell them that this man they had come to love, who they looked up to, who cared for them as his own, would never walk through our door again.

I don't know if you've ever attended a police funeral, but watching grown men who've seen the absolute worst things a civilian can imagine, break down and sob over the casket of their brother is an image that never leaves you. The bagpipes haunt my dreams to this day, but it was the faces of my children, the innocence that abandoned them at such a tender age that brought me to my knees.

I had no choice but to move on. We trudged zombie-like through our days for weeks and weeks on end. I never left the house except to drive the boys to school, or buy food we barely touched. I realized that I had to do something. I had to move my body or I was going to crawl out of my own skin. So I put on the only cap I had and I went for a run. It was short, it hurt and it was ugly. But I felt, just for those few moments on that road, like a normal person. So I kept doing it. I put that hat on and I ran every day. Sometimes I had to stop and sit down because I was sobbing so hard. Sometimes I was so angry I ran until I thought I my heart would stop, sometimes I would just scream over and over again, but it still felt better than doing nothing.

That black cap became a symbol to me, it is sweat stained and it's shape is gone, the buckle in the back barely closes; but that hat represents my family's rise from the ashes. It stands for the strength and the sacrifice we made loving a man who had a job that we all knew could end his life, every time he walked out that door. And it did. And I accept that.

I still wear this hat, I wore it on my run this morning.
And then I heard about your new ad campaign.

Colin Kapernick has the absolute right to protest anything he damn well pleases. I don't dispute that for one second. My father, my husband and many, many friends have all served this country and were willing to fight for his right to kneel.
But that right goes both ways. I also have a right to express my disgust at your decision to portray him as some kind of hero. What, exactly has Colin Kapernick sacrificed? His multi million dollar paycheck...? Nope, you already gave him one of those. His reputation? No, he's been fawned over by celebrities and media alike. Funny, Tim Tebow was never called courageous when he knelt.
This man, whose contempt for law enforcement fits him like a...sock, has promoted an agenda that has been proven false time and time again, in study after study. But facts don't seem to matter anymore. This man has thrown his support behind divisive anti-police groups, and donated money directly to a fugitive from justice who escaped prison after killing a police officer. I question the judgement of anyone who would put someone this controversial and divisive at the head of an advertising campaign, but it isn't my company to run.

I don't know if I'll have he heart to ever get rid of this cap, but I will tell you this, I'll never purchase another Nike product as long as I live. You got this one wrong Nike, terribly, terribly wrong.

Sherry Graham-Potter, surviving spouse of Deputy Tim Graham

I don't have any Nike stuff to destroy or chuck.  But I do have facebook buddies on the other side of this aisle, and I've been engaging with them.

Yeah, right to protest, right to be heard, right to petition govt for a redress of grievances.  Absolutely.  Meet my right to respond.  The solution to bad speech is more speech.

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone left who watches the NFL?  It's absolutely showing signs of being the country's next professional wrestling - where the outcome is already known, the moves and games are thrown and played, and the goal is to reach a proper crowd fervor because that gets advertisers the biggest return on their investment.

5 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

...Just out of curiosity, is there anyone left who watches the NFL?...

My husband and son will be watching.. They've been looking forward to this day for weeks. Falcons vs Eagles, they are Falcons fans. The Nike ad will be on tonight.

M.

Edited by Maureen

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

They may be talking crap about me, but at least they're talking about me?  Yeah - that often works.  The Passion of the Christ probably raked in 10X what it would have otherwise, if people had just shut up about it and not protested.

But then again...

image.png.1f25ca76e515e9df1968503203e2e1c4.png

But how will effect Nike in the long term? Remember when people protested and boycotted Target over the transgender bathroom issue? How is Target doing now? Oh yeah. Pretty good. 

19 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

But how will effect Nike in the long term? Remember when people protested and boycotted Target over the transgender bathroom issue? How is Target doing now? Oh yeah. Pretty good. 

This is never the point.  The point is, when you cause such a stir that impacts your stock price - even for just one quarter - somebody is getting fired.  And that firing is gonna cause the next guy to get a clue on who their customers are so hopefully they won't do another stupid thing anytime soon.

Target went on a "We love Vets" campaign to patch up the bad juju they pocked on their bullseye.

Red Hen and the town of Lexington is currently dipping into emergency funds to restore their tourism industry.  Of course Lexington is eventually going to come back on the map... but, I'm fairly certain no Lexington business will do something stupid again anytime soon.

We'll see if Star Wars is going to persist on their stupidity after a $200B loss on Solo.  So far, there's no indication they're muzzling their village idiots.

Edited by anatess2

44 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Sometimes you just have to take a stand.  I still don't shop at Target.  I will not be buying any Nike products.  I just moved my business to Under Armour who supports law enforcement and the military.

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, mirkwood said:

Sometimes you just have to take a stand.  I still don't shop at Target.  I will not be buying any Nike products.  I just moved my business to Under Armour who supports law enforcement and the military.

Oh I agree, and you better than anyone here know where my sympathies are (hint-not with Nike). 

31 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

That.  I haven't bought Sara Lee products since I discovered they use company profits to fund anti-second-amendment efforts.  Not even when I really want cheesecake.

.About 10 years ago of our Federal Way police officers was killed in the line of duty. A few years after that four officers were shot and killed, while at a coffee shop in nearby Lakewood.

... and yet, supporting BLM is almost a social requirement--especially in our local public schools.

Gotta love the Democratic People's Republic of the Pacific Northwest. :(

Edited by prisonchaplain

Guest MormonGator
2 hours ago, zil said:

That.  I haven't bought Sara Lee products since I discovered they use company profits to fund anti-second-amendment efforts.  Not even when I really want cheesecake.

Given your radical anti-gun views, I doubt this is true. 😉

3 hours ago, zil said:

Here ya go: https://togetherasfamily.com/chocolate-raspberry-cheesecake-delight/

Way better than a yucky old Sara Lee cheesecake any day. Hint: double the cheesecake layer.

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

All the SJWs that have never touched a sport all their lives  all of a sudden felt a need to buy Nike I guess

Virtue signaling is for a moment; hatred is forever.

Five years from now, an SJW who wants new shoes may buy from Nike . . . or from some other brand that makes items of comparable quality.

But five years from now, @mirkwood will still remember that Nike gives money to a guy who gives money to cop killers.

I can't say it affects me these days as I have not bought a pair of Nike's in years.  Despite being name brand Nike shoes seemed to wear down and tear apart very quickly when I wore them.  They just didn't last. 

What I do wear when I run or go casual for the outdoors is Adidas.   These seem to go on and on and on through any abuse I put them.  They've seen the Sands of the Arabian Peninsula, the waters of the Mediterranean, the Islands of Greece, and the Streets of Europe and America.  Hopefully I never get a reason to boycott them.

Normally I prefer wearing boots, though.  I don't think Nike makes boots.  I'll have to check if so, that may be the one area I may be affected I suppose.

I'm not sure why Nike felt they had to sponsor Kaepernick but I imagine in the US this may appeal greatly to certain groups like the BLM or others.  I imagine someone at Nike did all sorts of estimations and guestimations on how many they would lose and how many potential gains they would among possible customers.  I think the think that could be concerning to those who Nike lost as customers is that some variable felt they would gain more from the groups that Kaepernick would gain from than from those they would lose from.

I suppose it will show in the Long Run what will happen with Nike.

• 3 weeks later...

Like most companies, the content and tone of Nike’s advertising is designed to appeal to its target market.  It’s unlikely anyone on this thread fits squarely in that target market, we’re all too old.  Having worked for a few Fortune 100 companies, I can tell you that while some people may interpret ads from those companies as making a purely political statement, at the end of the day, no ad gets run that’s not designed to increase brand loyalty among the company’s core demographic.  This ad was no different.

On 9/29/2018 at 4:05 PM, let’s roll said:

Like most companies, the content and tone of Nike’s advertising is designed to appeal to its target market.  It’s unlikely anyone on this thread fits squarely in that target market, we’re all too old.  Having worked for a few Fortune 100 companies, I can tell you that while some people may interpret ads from those companies as making a purely political statement, at the end of the day, no ad gets run that’s not designed to increase brand loyalty among the company’s core demographic.  This ad was no different.

Hmm... I didn't think this was an age thing but more of a... minority thing.  Nike's are very popular in the black and Asian community.  Age demographics is shifting.  Gen Z are proving to start the backswing of the pendulum.  But maybe that's not true.  It's just "word on the street" after all.