Picking up people at the side of the road

Sunday21

1 minute ago, Traveler said:

There are some really cool cycling shoes that cost $600 that I have not been willing to budget for.  I have thought of wearing my cycling team kit and standing by a freeway entrance with a large cardboard sign that says, "Old guy wants very expensive cycling shoes - Please Help!" - Just to see what would happen - My wife is upset that I would even consider such a thing.

The Traveler

Millennials would stop and ask why you didn't just set up a go-fund-me campaign... :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I have thought of wearing my cycling team kit and standing by a freeway entrance with a large cardboard sign that says, "Old guy wants very expensive cycling shoes - Please Help!" - Just to see what would happen - My wife is upset that I would even consider such a thing.

I must admit, I gave money to the guy with a cardboard sign that said something to the tune of "I'm broke and lazy.  Help me, and I'll try to do better tomorrow".  I figured even if he was lying about the second part, I could pay for the entertainment value, the same way I'd drop money in a hat for a street performer. 

Edited by NeuroTypical

Years ago I put together care packages that I gave out to homeless people.  I'll have to hunt for the list of what I put in it. I revised it back about ten years ago.

Before I give out money I'll give out gift certificates.  What you do is find a place like McDonals, Arby's, Subway, whatever (I did Wendy's and McDonald's) and talk with a manager about buying gift certificates in bulk.  Sometimes they'll even "contribute to the cause".  What good is $10 to a homeless guy/gal?  Maybe some booze for a brief moment?  Maybe some drugs or smokes?  But if that is actually a $10 gift certificate for a meal, what value is that?  One restaurant went a few steps further to help me in my quest- th certificates were good for a free meal, no value specified with exception for a maximum amount.  After two years we found the two most common meals purchased were the salad bar (#1) and the chicken fried steak (#2).  I paid for the certificates with cash and would put a number on it.  It was pretty cool.  But...it worked. 

3 hours ago, pwrfrk said:

Years ago I put together care packages that I gave out to homeless people.  I'll have to hunt for the list of what I put in it. I revised it back about ten years ago.

Before I give out money I'll give out gift certificates.  What you do is find a place like McDonals, Arby's, Subway, whatever (I did Wendy's and McDonald's) and talk with a manager about buying gift certificates in bulk.  Sometimes they'll even "contribute to the cause".  What good is $10 to a homeless guy/gal?  Maybe some booze for a brief moment?  Maybe some drugs or smokes?  But if that is actually a $10 gift certificate for a meal, what value is that?  One restaurant went a few steps further to help me in my quest- th certificates were good for a free meal, no value specified with exception for a maximum amount.  After two years we found the two most common meals purchased were the salad bar (#1) and the chicken fried steak (#2).  I paid for the certificates with cash and would put a number on it.  It was pretty cool.  But...it worked. 

Brilliant!