The Compliment thread - Positive Feelings

JohnsonJones

You made my day JohnsonJones! Thank you! 

I will add prison chaplain to the list of those who have been kind and helpful to me many, many, many years ago. (from a non LDS view)

I called him PC for years.  :-) 

And Heather! She has put up with so much drama and trouble makers over the years!

She's a gem!

Edited by Lindy
Needed to add something

2 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

@pam  I don't know how I could have forgotten about you (I didn't, just a momentary lapse).  You are a wonderful moderator who tends to be upbeat and chipper which helps all be happier.

Okay what do you want?  :P    Seriously thank you for the compliment.

@JohnsonJones - this is a wonderful idea for a post.  And i will say that one thing i appreciate about you is that your posts combine flexibility, pragmatism, personal experience, humility, and wisdom.  Finding those all in one place is a rare thing indeed.  You remind me a lot of my Dad, TBH.

@MormonGator - i know your degree was in English - but i think you might have inadvertently minored in conflict resolution.  i don't know if forums/threads can explode with tension - but without your presence, we'd surely find out.

@Vort - i think you dislike me a little less than when i first started here :).  It was hard work, and definitely worth it.  i've come to appreciate your no-nonsense approach more than i did initially

@pam - providing the space, and creating a culture that accepts alternative views

@wenglund - you've been willing to engage in a meaningful way.  i have seen an element of pragmatism hiding underneath your orthodoxy - and that's been very enlightening.

@zil - you wit is as sharp as your fountain pens (they're really sharp, right?).  You blend wisdom and a pleasantly sarcastic humor in all your posts that i appreciate.  And you go out of your way to welcome everyone new into the forums.  

@LiterateParakeet - you're one smart bird!  Cheerful, sensitive, and pure nice.  Your gentle presence of the forums is much valued.

@Grunt - our viewpoints don't align - but i tend to think much of what i say comes from a perspective that trivializes and then criticizes the things that brought me to where i'm at.  And you remind me that's not fair - which i appreciate.

@anatess2 - you're the person every kid wished they had as a parent.  i love listening to your stories of raising your kids.  Your perspectives from a foreign country and Catholic church are ones i really appreciate.  

@Traveler - you're viewpoints are very well thought through - and you've got the logic to back it up.  

@askandanswer - i love your humor.  A person who jokes with you is a reminder that people can still be amicable while disagreeing.

@Sunday21 - You're genuinely excited about TCOJCOLDS.  You are a reminder to me that it is largely good simply because people like you participate in it.

@Just_A_Guy and @NeuroTypical- i have to watch my posts around you two :).  i have to think through what i am saying - and that's a good thing.

@Anddenex - you forgave my spouting off when i should have kept my mouth shut - even when there was no reason why you should have.

@Rob Osborn - i don't think faith is an abstract and malleable concept to you.  It's something you back up and defend.  And as someone who is conflict averse to a fault, it's something i really respect.

@Jane_Doe - You share helpful resources - and many of ones you've shared have been excellent - and ones i've never read.  And you live in Wyoming - which is like an automatic level of awesomeness.

And everyone else here - i appreciate your putting up with me and my snowflakely wishy-washy-ness.  

55 minutes ago, lostinwater said:

@Vort - i think you dislike me a little less than when i first started here :).  It was hard work, and definitely worth it.  i've come to appreciate your no-nonsense approach more than i did initially

At the risk of spoiling the joke, I don't recall ever having disliked you. On the contrary, I have always appreciated honesty, candor, and lack of pretense, all of which qualities I recognize in your posts. I realize we diverge on many matters of perspective, opinion, and belief, but that has never mattered nearly as much to me as some seem to think.

5 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

@lostinwater  I like how you present things that we should think about and how you think about others

@The Folk Prophet Haven't seen you around recently, but I think it is great that you defend the gospel and what you feel is right.

DennisTate Much appreciated.......  I am kind of in a state of near awe these past few days......

because I was praying as to whether or not I should be baptized as an L.D.S. and.....

I got clear guidance in the form of.............  I now know that if I were baptized as L.D.S. I would decrease my ability to reach out to ex-L.D.S..... and assist them to come to the place of Shalom / peace of mind toward their first love church.......

as I personally have came to a place of Shalom regarding the Worldwide Church of God that I am an ex-member of. 

I suspect that I would decrease my ability to reach ex-L.D.S. by seventy to ninety five percent....... because if I got baptized as L.D.S.......

almost none of them would listen to me....... but as an ex-WWCG and Messianic Gentile.... i still have an open door to them..... and 

ex - Pentecostals... .and ex- Roman Catholics.... and ex- Jehovah's Witnesses.... and many others whose 

philosophy at this time is largely directed as a revolt.... against the church that they once were so involved in!

I so thank all of you for not only your thoughtful prayers... but obviously you pray for the other members here......

I joined an ex-Mormon group on Facebook and Wow.... but the atmosphere was tense......

even when I quoted NDE accounts?!

Many ex-L.D.S. are in a state....... that is not good at all..... and I know that I easily could have went there myself.....

but for the grace of G-d?!

I have a ministry in mind that could over the coming decade or two result in surely dozens.... if not hundreds of ex-LDS returning to

being able to attend L.D.S. services...... (at least on occasion).

The method of my doing this will be to inform them that near death experiencers.... .who are LDS.... often return to their bodies.....

of course to assist their children and grandchildren...... but also.... significantly to get move involved in baptisms for the deceased and for

research into geneologies........... in order to get baptized for more of the previously deceased.  

In my opinion.... this is the outside of the Book of Mormon verification that many ex-L.D.S. have been wanting.......

to come to a place of Shalom/ peace..... toward their first love L.D.S. church?!

You are another that I cannot say I have read a ton of your comments, but from what I see you are thoughtful and reflect on what you write.

Edited by DennisTate
add comments....

6 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

@askandanswer  I find your answers refreshing at times and your injections in conversations interesting

I'm impressed with your remarkable writing and excellent editing skills that you were able to use less than a thousand words to compliment me. Most people find that to be very difficult.  :)

@JohnsonJones, you are always very thoughtful. I will admit that sometimes I do not read your posts to the end. Sometimes they are just too long. 😊 I love how you talk about your grandchildren, I'm a brand new grandmother, I can relate to your perspective. I love how you can admit that not everything is rosy. Life and even religions have their problems, but even with problems there is also good. You are a benefit to this forum.

M.

@JohnsonJones It was terribly kind of you to remember me in your post. I'm often left out of such things, no doubt because I don't post nearly as prolifically as others... or don't merit accolades of any kind. 

@mordorbund You seem to truly weigh the human factor into posts and don't merely spout off counterpoints. I admire that you seem to want to make the community a better place and actually seem to care about people here as opposed to arguing talking points.

@Vort There is something about you that makes a person want your approval. You are obviously an intelligent person and seasoned in the doctrines of the gospel of the restored church.

@NightSG I admire your passion for cycling and martial arts. I sense from the tone of your posts at times that you haven't had the easiest go in life and are somewhat jaded, but that also helps you to share some different view points that can be interesting to consider.

@Anddenex You've always been one of my favourite forum members. You seem to radiate a love of the gospel and a solid foundation in true principles and church administration. Your posts tend to be very even-handed and resonate well with me.

@Just_A_Guy Thank you for the work ethic you put into finding sources for all kinds of interesting topics. You really are a wealth of knowledge and resources and treat everyone with the utmost respect.

@MormonGator I appreciate your comic relief and accepting attitude. Perhaps one day I will develop sufficient skills to earn a place at that compound of yours. I lack the penmanship skills of @zil and don't have the survival skills or musical taste of @mirkwood, but I may be able to carry more water than @LadyGator up from the well.

@Maureen & @prisonchaplain I admire the way you put up with the lot of us coming from a different faith entirely and keep coming back to enrich our community with your unique perspectives.

@Traveler I enjoy your thought processes as they unfold and may even have a little nostalgia for the long back and forths you used to have with @Seminarysnoozer

@jerome1232 I haven't seen you in quite some time, but I've always found your profile picture to be happy and have enjoyed many of your posts.

@Midwest LDS You come across as a genuine person making posts with the sincere intent to help others. I find that noble.

@Sunday21 You're a sweetheart. You have a great sense of humor and seem to be a very interesting person... I mean that in a good way, you have a lot going on that is fascinating.

@Backroads I feel that you are willing to share very personal experiences, not afraid of being vulnerable, which helps you to come across as a very real person with very real triumphs and struggles. That's brave.

@skalenfehl I don't encounter you very often, but I have felt that when i do come across your posts they are well thought out and balanced. I admire your knowledge of fitness matters and sense that you take good care of yourself in that regard and I respect that.

@classylady I've always found you live up to this moniker. You seem to me to be a real class act.

@Overwatch I like your fire for the gospel and zeal for sharing interesting snippets such as you advice for husbands. I sense a strong testimony from you, and yet somehow picked up the idea that you're not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (are you?) As strong as the fire of the gospel burns within you and fuels your desire to share it with others, I sense a dignity and humility from you that is comforting.

Special appreciation goes to the MoreGoodFoundation for keeping this site going in such quality fashion. Kudos to mormonhub aka LDS.net aka LDStalk for providing one of the richest and most open venues for interfaith conversations, despite being oriented towards a specific faith tradition. I could thank dozens here, but I'll give a shout-out to four:

@pam and @anatess2 reached out in personal ways to show kindness to me, despite my not being a member.

@Traveler has taken several occasions to probe me with deep, thoughtful questions that broaden my understanding of my own faith and his.

@Vort is just always right--which is pretty cool.

@SpiritDragon Life *has* gotten busy for me, and the threads I have interest in more sparse it seems. I do still lurk around a bit, but I barely have time to even lurk the forums lately. All sorts of warm fuzzy's that you noticed I've been gone!

I guess I should throw a few more compliments if I'm going to post.

@Vort I typically enjoy your straight forward, no beating about the bushes style of posting. I can recall reading your posts several times thinking "I was thinking that, only vort put it much more succinctly and accurately than I ever could have."

@prisonchaplain  You have to be the coolest guy here. I respect how well you communicate with those not of your faith and how respectful of others beliefs you are. I can remember in one thread in particular you cleared up some misunderstandings I had of trinitarian beliefs and I understand it much better now thanks to you.

@unixknight You are a linux guy, so by default I like you. I'm actually working on a raspberry pi project right now. It's a little pi car that will be controlled in a first person view. I Intend, when it's done, for the pi to server as a wifi access point, so that a phone can connect to it via wifi and control it via a webapp that's hosted on the car. It's a fun project, I've learned a lot about php and a little about javascript so far. I've got the nuts and bolts working but not much polish yet.

@mirkwood Maybe it's because I have not been around much, but I'm shocked and disappointed by the lack of zombie threads I see, October is right around the corner. I'm pretty sure this is somehow a compliment, I'm not sure how yet.

@jerome1232  You know much about these phones, electronics and operating systems.  I wish I knew half as much as you about them.  Also, I think it's great you have a beard.

@prisonchaplain  I knew I was forgetting someone!!!  I appreciate that you can share the gospel and our common beliefs in a Savior with those on the forums and those in life.  It is the most important thing and to do as the Savior tells us takes someone special.

@NightSG  You are a funny guy (which I think is on purpose).  You always try to make a joke and lighten the situation up

@Overwatch  You've been here for a little bit and posted quite a bit but I don't know a ton about you (probably because I'm off and about the world during the Summer), but I do like the way you talk.  It reminds me a friend I had in California who had a similar way of talking.

@LadyGator  I would imagine you are related to@MormonGator ?  It sounds like you fed the missionaries and that's always a good thing.  Also, as you live with a vegetarian but love meat, you must be a Saint to be able to endure that!

@skalenfehl  it is good to know someone writes almost as much as I do in a post (though yours is off forum with a blog).  Good to have someone from Down South near the border to represent the great State of Texas (at least I think that's where you are).  I remember being down there a few years back and all the signs that said...Don't Mess with Texas (it was a campaign to stop littering I think).  I like how you talk a lot about the Book of Mormon in your blog and crosspost the links here.

Edited by JohnsonJones

6 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

Special appreciation goes to the MoreGoodFoundation for keeping this site going in such quality fashion. Kudos to mormonhub aka LDS.net aka LDStalk for providing one of the richest and most open venues for interfaith conversations, despite being oriented towards a specific faith tradition.

3 hours ago, jerome1232 said:

@prisonchaplain  You have to be the coolest guy here. I respect how well you communicate with those not of your faith and how respectful of others beliefs you are. I can remember in one thread in particular you cleared up some misunderstandings I had of trinitarian beliefs and I understand it much better now thanks to you.

PC, I still remember the first time (in my time here) a Latter-day Saint came asking for counsel, and you were the first to reply, and your answer was consistent with the teachings of the Church (and not consistent with teachings of many other Christian churches).  "Impressed" is insufficient a word.  That you know enough of our doctrine to do that is impressive.  That you have the tolerance, humility, and generosity to do that (and keep doing that) is inspiring.  I hope you stick around for a long time to come.

Edited by zil