The Compliment thread - Positive Feelings

JohnsonJones

On 9/8/2018 at 9:14 AM, JohnsonJones said:

@jerome1232  You know much about these phones, electronics and operating systems.  I wish I knew half as much as you about them.  Also, I think it's great you have a beard.

@prisonchaplain  I knew I was forgetting someone!!!  I appreciate that you can share the gospel and our common beliefs in a Savior with those on the forums and those in life.  It is the most important thing and to do as the Savior tells us takes someone special.

@NightSG  You are a funny guy (which I think is on purpose).  You always try to make a joke and lighten the situation up

@Overwatch  You've been here for a little bit and posted quite a bit but I don't know a ton about you (probably because I'm off and about the world during the Summer), but I do like the way you talk.  It reminds me a friend I had in California who had a similar way of talking.

@LadyGator  I would imagine you are related to@MormonGator ?  It sounds like you fed the missionaries and that's always a good thing.  Also, as you live with a vegetarian but love meat, you must be a Saint to be able to endure that!

@skalenfehl  it is good to know someone writes almost as much as I do in a post (though yours is off forum with a blog).  Good to have someone from Down South near the border to represent the great State of Texas (at least I think that's where you are).  I remember being down there a few years back and all the signs that said...Don't Mess with Texas (it was a campaign to stop littering I think).  I like how you talk a lot about the Book of Mormon in your blog and crosspost the links here.

So sweet of you to say that! God bless you!

Well, I will jump on the bandwagon of this OP, and share some of my thoughts regarding people I have come to know through this forum. The reason why I became a member of this forum was due to a question I had been looking for an answer. The question was asked on one of these posts, and I was pleasantly enlightened by all the responses I read. I wanted to then become of part of a forum that had so many people with great thoughts and answers. I feel also that for some, my thoughts will be the same so I apologize if my thoughts are unique with every person.

@JohnsonJones - I shared my thoughts previously. I enjoy reading your knowledge of history and the insight you can provide that others are not able to.

@pam - Just simply a wonderful person, and I am glad I had the opportunity to meet you. Always have been supportive of me, and that has been greatly appreciated.

@Just_A_Guy - You were one of the people that attracted me to this forum, because of your knowledge and your ability to express that knowledge. You can converse on many topics, and like JohnsonJones your knowledge on different aspects of history has been profitable for me.

@estradling75 - Although I wouldn't consider you "grumpy" I have enjoyed different discussions with you and your simple way of expressing in-depth truths. I am glad I was able to meet you also.

@mirkwood - I have enjoyed how you don't make excuses for yourself, you speak straight forward (no BS - straight shooter).

@The Folk Prophet - Like JAG, I have always been impressed with your ability to speak intelligently on the topics you join in. 

@Vort - Your talent with written word has always impressed me. As others have shared, you can share the same thought and express it much better than myself. For an update, when I once said "you use big words" it was actually a compliment, but due to our history (which can be volatile) I don't think it was seen as such.

@zil - For a reason known to you you have always been very kind in my direction, giving me compliments I problem don't deserve. You care about the gospel, and I enjoy reading your humor, your knowledge of the gospel, and even your elementary drawing explanations :)

@SpiritDragon - We have similar thoughts regarding each other as your posts and thoughts resonate with me also. I remember one of your first posts and seeing your profile picture; I knew this guy would be awesome. An individual I would love to meet in person.

@Traveler - Your love of science and the gospel stands out. I have enjoyed reading your unique posts regarding scientific research and other items that have caused me think. I really liked the "wasp" or "hornet" analogy -- at least my mind is now drawing a blank and I thought it was "wasp" or "hornet."

@Jane_Doe - I love your no-nonsense approach with your responses. They are direct and clear and show respect to the individual you are responding to.

@NeuroTypical - Like others on this forum you have a great overall knowledge on many subjects and are able to deliver your thoughts precisely.

@CV75 - I remember when CV75 started showing up in responses. My first thoughts were this individual has a good solid foundation of the gospel, and has a great ability to express himself.

@Jersey Boy - Always have been direct, and one of the few forum members whose posts are a bunch of scriptures which is really good. We share a similar love with the black and white words on paper. I like this.

@Carborendum - I have appreciated the unique thoughts you provide and different insight to many topics on this forum. You defend the gospel with all your heart and mind.

@LiterateParakeet - You have a true care for all who post on this forum.

@mordorbund - I love your wit and your ability to ask the right question at the right time. It is obvious you are studied, and I have appreciated many of your thoughts that have added to my knowledge and perspective about gospel principles. I think you are a great example of not entering into any contentious argument.

@MormonGator - (aka TheChurchofJesusChristofLatter-daySaintsGator - phew that was long) - Your respect and prayers for all who post to this forum is known. You have a good sense of humor and wit, and you even grasp my sarcasm (dry sarcasm) which provides me with some comfort.

@SilentOne - You don't post much, but when you do it is filled with thought and love that shows an inner true discipleship, and for some reason (which I am thankful for) you like my posts.

@wenglund - An individual who thoroughly researches a lot of topics and is able to speak coherently about them. I love this.

@Rob Osborn - We may have different points of view, but I love your strength in your beliefs despite some of the enmity in your direction.

@Midwest LDS - I feel similar with you as I do SpiritDragon. Your posts show thoughtful consideration and are direct to the point, no fluff.

@person0 - Your knowledge and posts are an added benefit to this forum. You are studied with a deep respect for the Lord and his living servants - the prophets.

@Sunday21 - I love how you create new posts, and I want to respond to them all, but I feel at times what has already been shared by others I wasn't going to add anything to it. Your unique experiences and thoughts have allowed me to think on principles in a different light allowing the Spirit to teach me a different perspective on something I already knew.

@NeedleinA - I also have enjoyed reading your posts and your knowledge and love of the gospel. Your additional insight is always appreciated.

@prisonchaplain - Thank you for your respect as you have shown true discipleship. Your thoughts and love in our direction remind me of the senior couple (I believe he was a minister) who noticed two young missionaries walking in 105 degree heat (with humidity we were told it was up to 120). They began baking a cake knowing how long it would be before we reached their home, and invited us in for a cup of cold water and cake. Their respect and love toward us, although they didn't want to hear our message, was true discipleship. I can see you doing this.

Sorry, if I missed anyone. Now I want to take a moment for some who I don't see much:

@Suzie - Suzie oh Suzie where art thou? We had our differences, but your ability to and knowledge and testimonial were admirable and I miss many of your posts. Like JAG and JohnsonJones your knowledge of history and tidbits you could share were welcomed and increased my knowledge.

@Drpepper - My friend, where are you? I miss your thoughts and love for the gospel.

@Seminarysnoozer - I loved your knowledge and willingness to explore so many different thoughts and theories. Hope you are OK.

@Windseeker - Where are you, miss your thoughts and encouragement!

@Misshalfway - So kind in my direction, like zil, miss your thoughts, where are you?

Wish I had a better memory and more time to thank those current and those no longer posting.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Thanks so much JohnsonJones.  Great thread idea and i appreciate your kind words.  You are one of the few whose posts I always read.  :)  

@Anddenex thanks for your kind words.  I have always found your posts to be well thought out and interesting even when we disagree.  :) 

@NeedleinA  I appreciate your kindness to me and everyone.  Your posts are always thoughtful and kind, as well as interesting.

@MormonGator  I love your humor, and the way you treat people so kindly.  You are a great example to me in that.

@LadyGator  It was so fun meeting you that time...I'm trying to figure out how to get back to your neck of the woods so we can have an encore!  

@Sunday21 I enjoy your posts, often because we share less popular opinions.  :)  I also enjoy your comments about Latter Day Saint life in Canada.  And about Canada in general.  

@Jane_Doe I love your posts.  You are wise, thoughtful and kind.  

@prisonchaplain  I enjoy your posts and the unique perspective you bring to many of the discussions here.  Glad you are here. 

@Just_A_Guy  I always read your posts.  I like the way you think, but more importantly, I appreciate that the few times that we have disagreed, you have always been very respectful.  That is a great quality much of modern society has lost.  

@zil  Thanks for the rabbit hole, it's been a blast.  I'm still crazy in love with my Kaweco Ice Sport - M, with Noodler's X-feather (we have to use black at work).   I also appreciate your non-FP posts, and your sense of humor and drawings.   I like your common sense.  

@mirkwood  I appreciate your no nonsense style, and your job as a Sheepdog, keeping the sheep in line.  :)  

@NeuroTypical You are one of those whose posts I always read because I appreciate your thoughts and the way you put things.

@Godless  So glad you are here.  You know from my "likes" that I often agree with you on the less popular topics.  Glad to have someone on my team!  You are far better at discussing most of these things than I am too, so thanks for that!

@anatess2  you know, because I have told you, that I love your marriage advice.  Coming from a country that doesn't allow divorce really gives you a unique perspective.  That combined with your own mind and thoughts, brings great thoughts on marriage.  I have mentioned you and your thoughts in my real life conversations on many occasions.

@askandanswer  I love your humor when you are teasing MormonGator, and your perspective (when you are serious) on other topics.  I'm glad you are here.

@lostinwater  I appreciate the diversity you bring to the forum!  And I appreciate your calm demeanor in heated discussions, you are a good example to me.  

@Grunt  I'm glad you are here.  As a relatively new convert, you add a fresh perspective that I enjoy.  

I'm sure I am forgetting people...my apologizes to anyone I left out, it's not you, it's my swiss cheese memory.   

Shout out to the lesser-known, not-as-popular posters.  Double shout-out to all the hundreds/thousands of lurkers out there who may have never posted, but come here and read the heck out of topics that interest them.  I've been a vociferous prolific loudmouth online for going on a decade now, but before that, I spent about a decade lurking, reading, thinking, researching.  I grew tremendously by watching other people argue and discuss.  I think before I started posting regularly, I had compiled maybe 100+ pages of quotes and links and whatnot.

I love to see stuff like this.  I mean, look at the views vs. replies!
image.png.15bbe03afd1891df5ae6ce110e906ec8.png

Ten times the number of people are reading our discussions, than actually participate in them.  I love the lurkers!  You all remind me to try to stay humble.

Edited by NeuroTypical

3 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

... but before that, I spent about a decade lurking, reading, thinking, researching.  I grew tremendously by watching other people argue and discuss.  I think before I started posting regularly, I had compiled maybe 100+ of quotes and links and whatnot.

In Oct. of 2006 I stumbled upon LDSTalk, carrying an internal Evangelical chip on my shoulder. I probably did about 1% of what @NeuroTypical did, in terms of lurking and thinking before I started posting. Fortunately, that appears to have been enough...perhaps just barely.  I gotta admit, though. Reading this makes me feel lazy and brash. :guilty:

On 9/8/2018 at 5:17 AM, jerome1232 said:

Maybe it's because I have not been around much, but I'm shocked and disappointed by the lack of zombie threads I see, October is right around the corner.

I've seen a few pop up here and there, but if you want more I can go poking around the archives for a while.

I have a hard time giving compliments because when I try to think of why I like someone, my first reasons usually go something like, "I like MormonGator because he's MormonGator. And I like Vort because he's Vort. And I like zil because she's zil. And I like Carb because he's Carb." But I'll try to come up with something relevant to put here eventually because this thread deserves that sort of respect.

14 minutes ago, SilentOne said:

I've seen a few pop up here and there, but if you want more I can go poking around the archives for a while.

I have a hard time giving compliments because when I try to think of why I like someone, my first reasons usually go something like, "I like MormonGator because he's MormonGator. And I like Vort because he's Vort. And I like zil because she's zil. And I like Carb because he's Carb." But I'll try to come up with something relevant to put here eventually because this thread deserves that sort of respect.

Yeah, that's me.  I'm lacking whatever gift it is that allows one to observe a person over time and deduce the person's character traits / personality, then describe those using words.  To this day, I couldn't tell you what kind of person my husband was - he was him.

On 9/10/2018 at 8:04 AM, NeuroTypical said:

Ten times the number of people are reading our discussions, than actually participate in them.  I love the lurkers!  You all remind me to try to stay humble.

A significant portion of those views are the people who have posted going back to view the thread every time there is a new post. 

If ten people were posted ten times each on a thread there would be 100 posts. Presuming that when someone posts that is counted as one view then we also have 100 views. If each of the ten posters viewed the thread each time there was a new post then each of the ten would be going back 90 tines to view the 90 posts that they didn’t write. This adds up to another 900 views so the total is 1000 views. Ten timed more views than posts. All by the same ten people. 

Therefore this example points out that there aren’t nearly as many lurkers on a forum as might be perceived. 

5 hours ago, BJ64 said:

A significant portion of those views are the people who have posted going back to view the thread every time there is a new post. 

If ten people were posted ten times each on a thread there would be 100 posts. Presuming that when someone posts that is counted as one view then we also have 100 views. If each of the ten posters viewed the thread each time there was a new post then each of the ten would be going back 90 tines to view the 90 posts that they didn’t write. This adds up to another 900 views so the total is 1000 views. Ten timed more views than posts. All by the same ten people. 

Therefore this example points out that there aren’t nearly as many lurkers on a forum as might be perceived. 

I think there are far more lurkers than you realize. There's a rule out there that states something like for every 1 active poster, there are 99 lurkers typically. Although I doubt the ratio is actually that severe, I know the ratio of lurkers to posters is typically very, very high. You also have to keep in mind that this is a public forum that will turn up in google searches.

On 9/12/2018 at 12:29 AM, BJ64 said:

You must have access to some internal forum data that the rest of us are not privy to in order to assert your claim "those views are". They might be, they could be... but, they might not, and may not be. Truth is, you don't know for certain, nor do I. It is 7:00am in the stack here, I just got out of bed, sort of. Below are the viewers I see logged on to the forum right now: 6 members, 51 guest/lurkers.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.aeedec77f89f08f7d1347fd75757cc11.jpg

Edited by NeedleinA