LDS Tabernacles

classylady

I happen to live several miles from the American Fork/Alpine Tabernacle. So, I drive past it on a regular basis. We have attended quite a few Stake Conferences in that building. I don’t happen to love the exterior architecture, but the interior has stunning wood work. 

In my younger years I lived in St. George and often attended Stake Conference and other functions in the St. George Tabernacle.  Beautiful building! I loved going inside and feeling the Spirit that was there.

I have also loved visiting the Salt Lake Tsbernacle. Again, I’ve attended many conferences, Christmas Devotionals, and Choir functions there.

i happened to be wondering why the church no longer builds Tabernacles and found this article about LDS Tabernacles. I didn’t realize how many had actually been built.  Do you have a favorite Tabernacle?

https://www.deseretnews.com/top/3435/0/A-look-at-60-historic-Mormon-tabernacles.html

Fascinating stuff.  I did not realize how many there were.  I've only been to three (I guess four of them, if you include the Assembly Hall) of those that are mentioned.  The Provo Tabernacle, the Temple Square Tabernacle and the Assembly Hall, and I actually did see the American Fork one (I believe it now stands on the main road through American Fork as you go from the Highway Eastward if it is the One I am thinking of, sort of nearer to the Park and Library).

Edited by JohnsonJones

10 hours ago, classylady said:

The one that houses my wife's spirit. It's been extremely well designed and is beautiful to look at.

The Ogden Utah one is very Stake center like.  Not particularly inspiring.  The Logan Tabernacle is beautiful.   My mom had Stake Conference at the Assembly hall in Salt Lake when she was young.  Basically our buildings have undergone separation of function.  First the Kirtland temple was a multipurpose building.  The Nauvoo Temple separated the temple functionality from cultural and civic usage.  In Utah, Temples and Tabernacles were further separated, and then later Stake centers and ward buildings replaced tabernacles, but still had cultural halls.  Older ones have stages, and my stake center growing up had bleachers for sporting events.  Later, the ward buildings became less cultural hubs, and the stages removed, and cultural halls removed.   So I guess as town centers became less prominent, tabernacles disappeared, and ward buildings became simpler. Also, as Utah separated church functions from civic functions, state buildings replaced church buildings for that functionality.  at least, that's how I see it.