Hurricane Florence. Is any of you in the Carolinas?

Chilean

Hi!

Just wondering if any of you are in the areas that are saying may be affected by this hurricane.

I live in GA, 2 wards in our stake (including mine) have been asked to take families of some wards from S Carolina into our homes.

During Hurricane Sandy I was living in PA, and our stake was able to go to Rock Away, NY, and participate in the cleaning process with Mormon Helping Hands... I had never seen soooo much destruction, it was seriously... horrible, heart-wrenching, very overwhelming. It was like a war zone, people lost everything, and it wasn't the hurricane rain itself but the surge from the ocean. It was bad.  I just remember how Sandy wasn't even as big as Katrina or Maria, but... Florence seems to be a big one, and my heart just freaks thinking about all those people that will be affected by this storm.

My wife has extended family in Roanoke, VA. I'm also FB friends with a former poster here (I forget her sn, she left ages ago) who lives in NC. Wishing them all the best.

Edited by Godless

I have to say... something is different about this hurricane.  I have never seen electric repair trucks going into town BEFORE the hurricane hits.  They usually come barreling in after the hurricane.  I'm not sure what to think of this.  It makes sense to wait until after the hurricane hits before activating the repair trucks so you know where to send them or if you even need to send them.  But then I'm thinking about this and I'm thinking - a lot of the challenge of restoring power is in getting the repair trucks through the rubble.  I guess, if they're already there, they're already through the rubble...

Anyway, this is gonna be a learning experience for Floridians to see if we can learn better ways from the Florence emergency response team.

9 hours ago, anatess2 said:

I have to say... something is different about this hurricane.  I have never seen electric repair trucks going into town BEFORE the hurricane hits.  They usually come barreling in after the hurricane.  I'm not sure what to think of this.  It makes sense to wait until after the hurricane hits before activating the repair trucks so you know where to send them or if you even need to send them.  But then I'm thinking about this and I'm thinking - a lot of the challenge of restoring power is in getting the repair trucks through the rubble.  I guess, if they're already there, they're already through the rubble...

Anyway, this is gonna be a learning experience for Floridians to see if we can learn better ways from the Florence emergency response team.

It may (or may not) have to do with solar panels. I know because if state laws, South Carolina is a hot spot for solar but not sure about Florida or North Carolina

I sell solar full time and when i first heard about the hurricane, my first thought was “oh no, the solar panels!” 

Perhaps they are taking some of the panels installed on government buildings off before the storm???