long time lurker

Barrett Maximus

hello, i started using the board probably close to 10 years ago when i was beginning to have an interest in church activity. since then ive married and had two children, finally got off the dope and have been active in my ward for almost a year. i don't know if i will post much but i figured i would re-introduce myself. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 9:02 AM, anatess2 said:

Welcome!  I'd love to hear your story...

So, my husband almost named our first-born son Maximus... and then he told his boss and his boss said, "Maximus?  Like gluteus maximus?"  And that was the end of that name.

ive been meaning to respond to this, im a stay at home dad of two under two so I'm easily sidetracked. my story is a long one so ill give you the condensed version.

i was born and raised in the church, left when i was 17 and didnt look back for many years. wandered in the mists so to speak after i let go of the iron rod (not sure i was ever really holding on to begin with) filled that spiritual void with anything i could thatd numb me to the reality of life without the spirit. (didnt realize this at the time, i thought i was just having a great old time)

ended up married to a non member(many years later) who is a wonderful person so i wanted to get my act together, started slowly reintroducing myself to the gospel and this year i was able to bless both of my sons. my wife is still a non member but shes uniquely very supportive of my return to faith as well as raising my children in the church. i never in a million years thought id be who and where i am today. grateful to my savior and heavenly father for his patience and love.  

On 10/12/2018 at 7:28 PM, Barrett Maximus said:

ive been meaning to respond to this, im a stay at home dad of two under two so I'm easily sidetracked. my story is a long one so ill give you the condensed version.

i was born and raised in the church, left when i was 17 and didnt look back for many years. wandered in the mists so to speak after i let go of the iron rod (not sure i was ever really holding on to begin with) filled that spiritual void with anything i could thatd numb me to the reality of life without the spirit. (didnt realize this at the time, i thought i was just having a great old time)

ended up married to a non member(many years later) who is a wonderful person so i wanted to get my act together, started slowly reintroducing myself to the gospel and this year i was able to bless both of my sons. my wife is still a non member but shes uniquely very supportive of my return to faith as well as raising my children in the church. i never in a million years thought id be who and where i am today. grateful to my savior and heavenly father for his patience and love.  

Awesome, dude!

Yesterday, we had somebody who bore their testimony who has been inactive for 17 years.  He said that yesterday was the first time he walked into a ward building since 2001 and was just overwhelmed with the Spirit when he walked through the doors.  It made him realize how "empty" the last 17 years has been even as he thought he was doing just fine.  Like you, he also married a non-member who encouraged him to go to church!

On 10/12/2018 at 5:28 PM, Barrett Maximus said:

FANTASTIC!!!  Thank you for sharing.

(Psst-- I'm also married to a non-member who's supportive of my faith.  Welcome!)