How is sharing the gospel important to god's plan

Yohn

I have been invited to give a talk on Gospel Preaching. One point that I would like to talk about is why and how it is important. And I need to understand it specially because I'm preparing to serve a full time mission. 

I have searched through this week and didn't find any good material on this question.

Considering that receiving the gospel in this life is not necessary for salvation and we can receive the gospel and all the covenants in the spiritual world by proxy why preaching the gospel is so essential?

19 minutes ago, Yohn said:

Considering that receiving the gospel in this life is not necessary for salvation and we can receive the gospel and all the covenants in the spiritual world by proxy why preaching the gospel is so essential?

The plan of salvation includes more than just getting a body, saying I believe in Christ, and receiving the ordinances. There are countless amount of people that do this and will not receive exaltation. 

Spencer W Kimball said 

There are even many members of the church who are lax and careless and who continually procrastinate. They live the gospel casually but not devoutly. They have complied with some requirements but are not a valiant. They do no major crime by merely fail to do the things required. Things like paying tithing, living the word of wisdom, having family prayers, fasting, attending meetings, serving. Perhaps they do not consider such omissions to be sins, yet these for the kinds of things which the five foolish virgins of Jesus parable we’re probably guilty. The 10 virgins being launch it to the kingdom and had every right to the blessings. Except at five we’re not Valliant and we’re not ready when the great day came. They were unprepared through not living all the commandments. They were barely disappointed at being shut out from the marriage. As likewise there modern counterparts will be… it is true that many latter day saints, having been baptized and confirmed members of the church, and some even having received their endowments and having been married and sealed in the holy temple, I felt that they were the scare and teed the blessings of exaltation and eternal life. But this is not so there are two basic requirements every so much for sale or he can obtain to that great blessing offered. He must receive the ordinances and he must be faithful, overcoming his weaknesses. Hence not all who claim to be latter-day Saints will be exalted”

We must learn to be as God is, to live the life he would live. That includes living righteously, serving others, doing missionary work and work for the dead.

Accepting the gospel in this life may not be “necessary”, but if it is placed before you and you reject it and choose not to live by it’s teachings, don’t expect to find yourself in the Celestial Kingdom.

Alma 34:34-35 says

that same spirit which doth possess your bodies at the time that ye go out of this life, that same spirit will have power to possess your body in that eternal world.
... For behold, if ye have procrastinated the day of your repentance even until death, behold, ye have become subjected to the spirit of the devil, and he doth seal you his;”

Doctrine and Covenants 88:22-24 says

”22 For he who is not able to abide the law of a celestial kingdom cannot abide a celestial glory.
23 And he who cannot abide the law of a terrestrial kingdom cannot abide a terrestrial glory.
24 And he who cannot abide the law of a telestial kingdom cannot abide a telestial glory; therefore he is not meet for a kingdom of glory. Therefore he must abide a kingdom which is not a kingdom of glory.”

unless we learn to abide the laws of the celestial kingdom, we will not be fit for it

LASTLY

A great segment from a talk by Bruce R McConkie where he dispels false doctrines and heresies 

“Heresy four: There are those who believe that the doctrine of salvation for the dead offers men a second chance for salvation.

I knew a man, now deceased, not a member of the Church, who was a degenerate old reprobate who found pleasure, as he supposed, in living after the manner of the world. A cigarette dangled from his lips, alcohol stenched his breath, and profane and bawdy stories defiled his lips. His moral status left much to be desired.

His wife was a member of the Church, as faithful as she could be under the circumstances. One day she said to him, “You know the Church is true; why won’t you be baptized?” He replied, “Of course I know the Church is true, but I have no intention of changing my habits in order to join it. I prefer to live the way I do. But that doesn’t worry me in the slightest. I know that as soon as I die, you will have someone go to the temple and do the work for me and everything will come out all right in the end anyway.”

He died and she had the work done in the temple. We do not sit in judgment and deny vicarious ordinances to people. But what will it profit him?

There is no such thing as a second chance to gain salvation. This life is the time and the day of our probation. After this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed.

For those who do not have an opportunity to believe and obey the holy word in this life, the first chance to gain salvation will come in the spirit world. If those who hear the word for the first time in the realms ahead are the kind of people who would have accepted the gospel here, had the opportunity been afforded them, they will accept it there. Salvation for the dead is for those whose first chance to gain salvation is in the spirit world.

In the revelation recently added to our canon of holy writ, these words are found:

Thus came the voice of the Lord unto me, saying: All who have died without a knowledge of this gospel, who would have received it if they had been permitted to tarry, shall be heirs of the celestial kingdom of God;

Also all that shall die henceforth without a knowledge of it, who would have received it with all their hearts, shall be heirs of that kingdom;

For I, the Lord, will judge all men according to their works, according to the desire of their hearts. [D&C 137:7–9]

There is no other promise of salvation than the one recited in that revelation. Those who reject the gospel in this life and then receive it in the spirit world go not to the celestial, but to the terrestrial kingdom”

Edited by Fether

2nd great commandment - Love Others as yourself.

Loving Others means bringing them closer to Christ's ideal which is where happiness lies - not just in the world to come but in this world as well.  Preaching the True gospel is the FIRST step in bringing them closer to Christ's example.

If you have the answer to life's great questions, and the biggest source of joy in the universe, why WAIT to share it?

Yes, the Gospel brings joy in the big-post-mortal picture, but it all brings joy NOW.  It brings a sense of purpose NOW.  It brings comfort NOW.  It guides us and saves us so much future heartbreak just in this mortal life.  

Why wait?

Welcome, @Yohn!  Looks like you've got some good answers already - I'll just add this:

D&C130:18 Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.

19 And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come.

20 There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—

21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

Wouldn't it be better to let them gain what advantage they can in this life.  And wouldn't it be better to let them learn the laws upon which blessings are predicated so that they can gain those blessings sooner?

And wouldn't it be better to lead people out of the misery of sin and into the joy of the light of the gospel?  Isn't the universe better each time any person chooses better?

Or if you want a nice violent reason - to rain all over Satan's parade (so to speak)?

The sooner we have more good, the better, and more good comes through sharing the gospel.

Also, I've heard it theorized that the Lord's Second Coming isn't waiting on the world to get wicked enough, it's waiting for the Saints to get righteous enough.  Ponder that one a while.  (Sorry, no source, so don't use it in your talk unless you can find a source.)

It has come to my attention that sharing the gospel doesn't just potentially raise the people to whom the gospel is shared, but it also raises up the person doing the sharing. So, in terms of assisting in the fulfillment of God's plan, there is a level of self benefit to sharing.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Edited by wenglund

2 hours ago, Yohn said:

I have been invited to give a talk on Gospel Preaching. One point that I would like to talk about is why and how it is important. And I need to understand it specially because I'm preparing to serve a full time mission. 

I have searched through this week and didn't find any good material on this question.

Preaching the Gospel is really about the other missions of the Church.

1) Preaching the gospel is among the best ways we can serve the poor and the needy.  Often, the poor and needy are only poor and needy because they don't have the guidance of gospel principles and the Gift of the Holy Ghost.

2) Preaching the gospel is the only way we can have enough people to actually complete the temple ordinances that you mentioned.  If we never did any missionary work, we would never be able to complete all the work we need to do.

3) Preaching the gospel is one of the best ways to perfect the saints.  Through preaching, we gain a stronger testimony.  We feel the influence of the Spirit more.  We come closer to God when we bring even one soul unto Him.

I love the Gospel, and I know it is true. and I love of all you guys' answers.

My husband was just called to serve as ward mission leader, and I've been a ward missionary for about 2 years. We loooove sharing the Gospel, hosting family home evenings and having people over for dinner with the missionaries.

The gospel brings so much happiness, and so much understanding about the purpose of this life on Earth, and knowing those truth bring peace and happiness, and that's why it is important to share those truth with everyone. Imagine how different would their lives be if they knew about the restored Gospel? Imagine! the heavens were open, God the Father and Jesus Christ answered a prayer!!! It is just amazing to me! because of that prayer answered so many other truths were reveled, and now we can understand who we truly are as truly spirit children's of a Heavenly Father. It is just wonderful!

Every member should be more involved in missionary work, but the truth is, many are just comfortable with coming to church on Sundays and that's about it.

Living life without knowing God exists:

lonely, can lead to desperation even suicide

Knowing God exists: love unconditionally from God

make better decisions eg who to marry, how to date, rank importance of things in your life

Knowledge of God and his commandments help avoid many troubles: alcoholism, broken families

Gospel knowledge prompts you to spend more time with and be kind to your children: Better childhood dramatically better life

On 9/14/2018 at 11:38 AM, Yohn said:

It (preaching the Word so people can hear it) is the only way people can develop faith in Christ. If it isn't done in this world, it cannot be done in the next because the keys must operate on both sides.

On 9/14/2018 at 9:38 AM, Yohn said:

First, congrats on the decision to serve a full time mission. My first question would be, what materials have you been searching through that you haven't found anything good?

Why is preaching the gospel important?

Whether in this life or in the next the gospel of Jesus Christ is still preached. Both the living and the dead have the gospel preached unto them. Why do we teach any subject in this life? If we are just going to learn math, science, physics, etc.. in the next life, why even go to school in this life?

We have the following scripture, "Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection. And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come." (Of note, it is not just "knowledge and intelligence" but our obedience in relation to that knowledge and intelligence that gives us some advantage, what advantage that is, well, we will find out more when we get there)

At what point do the children of God just stop and say, "Well, lets stop preaching the gospel, because someone else will do everything for us in the next life."

One of the purposes of this life is to bring the Kingdom of God on this earth (Zion). This can not be accomplished if we all just sit around waiting for someone else to do the work for us. By faith we are saved, and faith is an action word, and a word of power. How does someone think they will be saved due to proxy work if they carried the attitude, "Mom and dad will do it for me, or someone else."

On 9/14/2018 at 11:38 AM, Yohn said:

Since this is for a talk, let me turn this back on you.

What have you received from the gospel and the covenants that you would want if you didn't have it now?

Follow-up: Ask your parents how they would have raised you differently if they did not have the gospel and the covenants? Then review again what you have received through your parents from the gospel and the covenants.

If you ever sought the counsel of your leaders, you may wish to ask them something similar: how would they have mentored you differently if they did not have the gospel and the covenants? Then review once again what you have received through your leaders from the gospel and the covenants.

“We don’t share the gospel or go on a mission so we can go to the Celestial Kingdom. We share the Gospel so others can to the Celestial Kingdom and have the privilege of spending eternity with our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.”

Ben Arkle. 

On 9/17/2018 at 2:18 PM, mordorbund said:

Since this is for a talk, let me turn this back on you.

What have you received from the gospel and the covenants that you would want if you didn't have it now?

Follow-up: Ask your parents how they would have raised you differently if they did not have the gospel and the covenants? Then review again what you have received through your parents from the gospel and the covenants.

If you ever sought the counsel of your leaders, you may wish to ask them something similar: how would they have mentored you differently if they did not have the gospel and the covenants? Then review once again what you have received through your leaders from the gospel and the covenants.

As a newer convert, I know what's on the other side of the font.  I remember it well.  I thought I had a perfect life before.  Good job.  Happy marriage.  Good family.  I'm amazed at how my happiness improved after adhering to the gospel as closely as I can.  My marriage is better than I could imagine.  I'm a much-improved father and husband.  

I was helping someone I minister yesterday and he seemed shocked that someone as new as I am could hold a Temple recommend (limited).  He's been a convert longer and struggles with a few things.  I couldn't imagine NOT having a Temple recommend.  It's like having a golden ticket that improves my life.  I don't follow the Prophets so I can say I have a piece of paper.  That's just a bonus.  I follow the Prophets because it brings me closer to The Christ, which improves my life in every way.