What to Do When Imposter Syndrome Leaves You Feeling Like a Fake at Church

Third Hour

Imposter Syndrome. You might have heard this phrase thrown around in a Ted Talk or two. Or even read about it in a recent Time Magazine article. It's a term that has become all the rage in the world of psychology. Identified over 40 years ago by two researchers, Imposter Syndrome is something we have all experienced in one way or another. Put in more basic terms, this condition is a severe case of insecurity and self-doubt. No amount of recalling achievements or accolades can bolster us when the symptoms of Imposter Syndrome hit because suddenly none of that matters. We are simply deathly afraid that we will be "found out" as a fraud. That someone will notice our perceived abilities are simply a cover-up for an extremely unskilled and clueless person. via Pixabay Typically, psychologists have referred to Imposter Syndrome as it applies to the business world. But most of us have also seen this syndrome rear its ugly head in a church setting. This could be identified as Spiritual Imposter Syndrome. And it affects more members...

View the full article

I cannot recall ever experiencing this. I learned from a young age that no mortal really knows what's going on 100% of the time. As I grew and entered the "professional" world I learned that most people are winging it when it comes to solving very difficult problems. As far as religiosity goes, the amount of conflicting data I received growing up about religion was maddening. I saw the same confusion and now understand that EVERYONE is just doing their best. The veil is very thick and even prophets are tested to their limits. Understanding that we are all children of God has reinforced my belief that we are all valued by Him and has given me confidence to fulfill my callings without too much worry if I am "doing it right". I am certain if i do mess up somewhere, someone will bring it to my attention and then i can fix it.

Edited by Overwatch

A relative had expressed recently how inadequate she felt with all the responsibilities she had.

I told her that even though I'm the biggest sinner in the family (only about 65% of the family knows it) and I'm a bull goose loon (about 70% knows that) for reasons I can't fathom, the whole family keeps loving me anyway.

So, with that background, I said:

You know, we know, and the Lord knows that you're doing your best.

We know and the Lord knows, but you may not know that you're doing a LOT of good in this life.

I then enumerated several things she was doing.  She took that quite well.