What name would you choose?

pam

What name would you choose to replace Mormon Hub?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What name would you choose to replace Mormon Hub?

• The Spoken Ward
    • Third Hour
    • Last Ward
    • Rolling Forth
    • Ward to the Wise

Although I like some of the proposed options, non-members with questions may find it difficult to find and not understand or make the connection (aka "what's a ward? - like in a hospital?"). The suggestions also don't offer an idea of what this site is about. So maybe something like:

ChurchChat (a take on chit-chat) or CongregationConnection

Edited by Manners Matter

On a more serious note, given the history of the name of the Church, the revelation in scripture driving President Nelson's emphasis strikes me as accepting the self-appellation of "saints" while reminding us that we must collectively and institutionally bear the name of Jesus Christ. In that spirit, both elements can be captured with the shorter phrase:

• Saints in Christ

or just

• Christ's saints

I don't think it's a violation of the spirit of the revelation to embrace the name Mormon for the sake of search engine optimization so long as the focus still remains on the name of Jesus Christ.

• Mormons in Christ
  • Christ's Momons

Of course, the downside of taking on such a name in a site is that everyone will speak in the name of God the Lord, even the Savior of the world, so I might have to speak less.

[did I say downside? perhaps that's an upside...]

2 hours ago, mordorbund said:

In that spirit, both elements can be captured with the shorter phrase:

• Saints in Christ

or just

• Christ's saints

Some who hate the Church delight to call themselves "Ex-Mormons for Jesus" or "Saints Alive in Jesus". I would hate for anyone to get confused or somehow see the name of this site as being affiliated with such people.

YakityYakfromSaintsOnCrack. 

At least that has been my impression from reading some posts around here.   J/K.  Maybe.   Too far?

Never mind.  I'll be quiet now. :zipped:

Edited by Scott

On 9/17/2018 at 2:33 PM, Overwatch said:

Ooo. How about:

Mannachunk.com

Thebreadcrumb.com

Pioneerchat.com

Pioneerhub.com

Latterdaydiscussions.com

MilkNhoney.com

Latterdaycentral.com

I'm hoping the winning entry is from this list.  (But not ManChunk or whatever that was supposed to be.)

Really liking LatterDayCentral, or LatterDayDiscussions.

Edited by NeuroTypical

13 minutes ago, zil said:

But I'm not sure why you were so iffy about "ShipFellowsWithUs" variations - I mean, mail-order brides were a thing, why not shipping fellows?  Only seems fair. :P

Well, truth be told, my weird fandom hobbies sort of bring a different concept of "shipping" than it's intended use here.  I mean yes, it's important for our RMs to find good spouses to marry, but I don't think anyone wants to turn this place into a dating site.

2 hours ago, zil said:

Yes, Latter-day [Saint] [something] is good.

But I'm not sure why you were so iffy about "ShipFellowsWithUs" variations - I mean, mail-order brides were a thing, why not shipping fellows?  Only seems fair. :P

Is this your way of telling us that you weren’t exactly “teaching English” during your time in Russia?

31 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Is this your way of telling us that you weren’t exactly “teaching English” during your time in Russia?

I was driving and dispatching in the US Embassy motorpool.  The closest I got to shipping fellows was driving them to and from the airport.

On 9/17/2018 at 1:19 PM, Maureen said:

I get the impression that since your Prophet doesn't want members to identify themselves as Mormon anymore, he would prefer if they (you) identified themselves (yourselves) as Christians. Maybe something like:

restoredchristian.com or restoredchristian.org

M.

This isn't bad, but there are other restorationist churches, such as the Church of Christ. Even my church considers ourselves in somewhat that way. The term "full gospel," suggested that churches neglecting divine healing and the gifts of the Holy Spirit were operating under only part of the gospel message, and that our movement (the larger Pentecostal/Charismatic Renewal) had restored the fullness of the gospel. So...while restored Christian sounds good, it may create more confusion than clarity.

Edited by prisonchaplain

10 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I'm hoping the winning entry is from this list.  (But not ManChunk or whatever that was supposed to be.)

Really liking LatterDayCentral, or LatterDayDiscussions.

Maybe I spelled manna wrong. The wafers or bread that would appear in the mornings for the Israelites.

• pam unpinned this topic