Predictions on policy changes during conference?

mikbone

14 minutes ago, let’s roll said:

Sounds like your as confident in your opinion as I am in mine.  My understanding of what prophets have taught is that we should be guided by the Spirit.  

So for example, if the Prophet says that young men may now go on their missions when they are 18, I trust that young men will understand that they should prepare themselves for a mission and begin their service as soon after the eligibility age as they can, and give no heed to those who believe they’re not following what they think prophets have taught if the begin their service when they are 19 or 20.

So... you think the Spirit would tell you to have an earthly marriage when you have the opportunity for an eternal one?  Why would He do that?

27 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

So... you think the Spirit would tell you to have an earthly marriage when you have the opportunity for an eternal one?  Why would He do that?

You pose it as an either/or, when the hypothetical is about timing, not an either/or.

And I’m not so presumptuous as to limit the Spirit in how the Spirit might prompt me.  

But i can forsee a circumstance where such a prompting might occur.

if for example God knew that our parents would be touched by the Spirit and desire to more anxiously seek God’s wii for them if we explained to our parents the sacred nature of the sealing ordinance and our strong desire to make those sacred covenants, while at the same time sharing an invitation to them to witness our civil ceremony, which would of necessity delay our ability to have the blessing of that sealing ordinance and that invitation was accompanied by an invitation for us to be able to share with them our love for them, our testimony of the Gospel and our desire for them to share the same joy we have found in the Gospel, then having four of His children return to the fold and make sacred covenants might underlie a prompting to defer for a short season.

2 hours ago, Lost Boy said:

Interesting.   That seems like a halfway approach.  Allow just the most important family to the civil ceremony.   I guess I would wonder why and how would that be enforced?  Ooops uncle Buck showed up, too..  and look, there is Martha..  I mean what would happen if more showed up?

Would that have appeased your in-laws? Or did they want more involvement and celebration than witnessing signatures and a ring exchange?

On 9/24/2018 at 8:45 PM, Lost Boy said:

Let's sacrifice because that will bring blessings.  No, I don't think that is the way it works. 

Time for a musical interlude:

Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven.

On 9/25/2018 at 12:20 PM, MormonGator said:

Oh I agree totally. It never applied to me, but I feel very sorry for LDS couples. How do you explain to your non-LDS friends that they can't share in the joy of you and your spouse getting married? 

I simply told them that was Church policy.  They just shrugged and accepted it.  They came to the reception.  And they enjoyed it.

On 9/25/2018 at 2:00 PM, carlimac said:

All the more reason to separate the wedding part from the sealing ordinance part.  

What I don't understand is why the rest of the world puts so much stock in a civil ceremony.  It is really meaningless in the grand scheme.  The reception is where people get to pay their respects and socialize and celebrate.  Why is it so important that so many people be there for the ceremony?  I often wondered why that was so important.  You just sat there and did nothing.  It was like watching a very boring show.  I still feel that way when I go to other people's weddings (both in and out of the temple).

The sealing/wedding ceremony is where the husband and wife are to commune with God.  That has real meaning.  And I didn't really care all that much how many people were around with me.  So if you believe a civil ceremony is where you commune with God, then you truly understand why keeping the wedding and sealing together is important.

Edited by Guest

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

I simply told them that was Church policy.  They just shrugged and accepted it.  They came to the reception.  And they enjoyed it.

I tell them that the temple involves human sacrifice and once you go in, you may never go out. It's like Hotel California. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. 

(I really hate that song, for the record) 

3 hours ago, MormonGator said:

I tell them that the temple involves human sacrifice and once you go in, you may never go out. It's like Hotel California. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. 

(I really hate that song, for the record) 

My seventeen-year-old daughter recently discovered that song and took a liking to it, humming and singing it around the house. I asked her why she was singing a song about people going to hell. Don't think she had really understood the lyrics to that point. She didn't seem too pleased with me for enlightening her.

19 minutes ago, Vort said:

My seventeen-year-old daughter recently discovered that song and took a liking to it, humming and singing it around the house. I asked her why she was singing a song about people going to hell. Don't think she had really understood the lyrics to that point. She didn't seem too pleased with me for enlightening her.

What??? Who knew?  Next you’ll be telling me “Stairway to Heaven” isn’t about Jacob’s Ladder.🎼😇

4 hours ago, Vort said:

Vort,

I was under the impression Hotel California was about a state run mental hospital in Calibasis, Ca.  Will look into this......

4 hours ago, Vort said:

I was under the wrong impression.....

2. The song is about "excess in America"

While there have been many theories that contemplate what the song represents, the Eagles' band members have revealed in multiple interviews that the true meaning behind "Hotel California" is a commentary on the hedonism and self-indulgence of America.

“It’s basically a song about the dark underbelly of the American dream and about excess in America, which is something we knew a lot about,” Henley said in a 2002 interview with "60 Minutes."

But I knew this little tidbit........

The line "They stab it with their steely knives, but they just can't kill the beast," is a playful jab to rock band Steely Dan.

4 hours ago, Vort said:

That's not really what the song is about.  Two members of the Eagles explained what the song was about.  And it totally fits.

10 hours ago, Pressing Forward said:

While there have been many theories that contemplate what the song represents, the Eagles' band members have revealed in multiple interviews that the true meaning behind "Hotel California" is a commentary on the hedonism and self-indulgence of America.

“It’s basically a song about the dark underbelly of the American dream and about excess in America, which is something we knew a lot about,” Henley said in a 2002 interview with "60 Minutes."

The line "They stab it with their steely knives, but they just can't kill the beast," is a playful jab to rock band Steely Dan.

Just like a celebrity. Get rich. Abuse it. Then blame....America.

Guest MormonGator
10 hours ago, Pressing Forward said:

I've always thought it was about a bunch of idiots who get caught in a hotel fire. I think the Eagles are trying to give the song more meaning than what it has. 

Regardless, it's a horrible song. 

14 hours ago, Carborendum said:

That's not really what the song is about.  Two members of the Eagles explained what the song was about.  And it totally fits.

Agreed.

However, for what it is worth, as with many things, I have garnered a wealth of helpful metaphoric meanings from the literal meaning of the song, and this in relation to such things as substance abuse, toxic interpersonal relationships, deleterious political philosophies, etc.

For the record, I love the song.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

On 9/25/2018 at 2:30 PM, MormonGator said:

I never said that, for the record. 

I'm very confident that @carlimac was correct. There are legit reasons for you to take your health into concern when it comes to fasting. 

One of my students is a Muslim. She has a critical illness and thus is taking a lighter class load. She is on academic probation so if she does not get the grades in this semester, she will be asked to leave, Despite this, she is fasting for Ramadan. I asked if she could talk to her I Man and get an exception. She told me that the Koran requires her to fast. Sigh. 

16 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

I asked if she could talk to her I Man and get an exception.

Imam.

Faithful Muslims take their religion very seriously. The imam is not authorized to grant exceptions. Musilms are commanded to fast during Ramadan, which means abstaining from all food, drink, and sex during daylight hours for a period of a month. There are certain limited exceptions. Wikipedia explains it like this:

Pre-pubescent children are not required to fast, though some choose to do so, and some small children fast for half a day to train themselves. If puberty is delayed, fasting becomes obligatory for males and females after a certain age. Diabetics and nursing or pregnant women are usually not expected to fast. According to a hadith, observing the Ramadan fast is forbidden for menstruating women.

Other individuals for whom it is usually considered acceptable not to fast are those in battle, and travellers who intend to spend fewer than five days away from home. If the circumstance preventing fasting is temporary, a person is required to make up for the missed days after the month of Ramadan is over and before the next Ramadan arrives. Should the circumstance be permanent or present for an extended amount of time, one may recompense by feeding a needy person for every day missed.

If one does not fit into any category of exemption and breaks the fast out of forgetfulness, the fast is still valid. Intentionally breaking the fast voids it, and the person must make up for the entire day later. If one breaks the fast intentionally or through consensual sexual intercourse, the transgressor must make up for the day by fasting for sixty consecutive days, freeing a slave or feeding sixty people in need.

Many Muslims get up before sunrise to eat a breakfast, then eat dinner immediately at sunset. So it's not really much like an LDS fast, more like just not eating all day.

As a general rule, I think it's a good idea not to tell people how they should go about living their religion. This is doubly true when they follow a religion other than yours.

Edited by Vort

1 hour ago, Vort said:

Imam.

Faithful Muslims take their religion very seriously. The imam is not authorized to grant exceptions. Musilms are commanded to fast during Ramadan, which means abstaining from all food, drink, and sex during daylight hours for a period of a month. There are certain limited exceptions. Wikipedia explains it like this:

Many Muslims get up before sunrise to eat a breakfast, then eat dinner immediately at sunset. So it's not really much like an LDS fast, more like just not eating all day.

As a general rule, I think it's a good idea not to tell people how they should go about living their religion. This is doubly true when they follow a religion other than yours.

This woman has an incurable illness and her doctor has told her not to fast. The iman might remind her of this. If your prof doesn’t give you advice, who will? 

Sickness could be a temporary sickness from which a person expects to be cured soon. Such a person should not fast during the days of his or her sickness, but he or she must fast later after Ramadan to complete the missed days. Those who are sick with incurable illness and expect no better health are also allowed not to fast but they must pay the fidyah, which is giving a day's meals for each fast missed to a needy person. Instead of food for one day one can also give equivalent amount of money to a needy person. Women in their menses and post-natal bleeding are not allowed to fast, but they must make up the fast later after Ramadan. If pregnant women and mothers who are nursing babies can also postpone their fasting to a later time when they are able to do so.