Predictions on policy changes during conference?

mikbone

I was fortunate to be sealed and married in the temple simultaneously.  I truly believe however,  that if our circumstances had been different and our parents had not been members, my wife and I would have opted to marry civilly and then, if necessary, waited a year to be sealed.

We would have done so with love in our hearts for God and for each other and with full purpose of heart, explaining the decision to all involved, including God, with humility and love.

18 minutes ago, Vort said:

Fasting is not suffering. Fasting is rejoicing.

14 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Can you back up the idea with something more than just what you think?

Why can't you people ask these questions when I'm at home?  I have answers at home.  :sigh:

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, carlimac said:

🙄 Tell that to a diabetic or someone with hypoglycemia or a nursing or pregnant mother.  

Great points! 

I  think fasting is between you and the Lord. If you have other conditions that require you to eat or make fasting dangerous to your health, than He understands that. 

I remember missionaries who believed that it was common sense that if a 24 hour fast was good, a 48 hour fast had to be twice as good and a 72 hour fast three times better.

My experience with fasting (regardless of the duration) has always been positive when I’ve had proper focus, a focus on communion.  Each time that focus has been absent my fast has been a futile diet.

Just now, MormonGator said:

Great points! 

I  think fasting is between you and the Lord. If you have other conditions that require you to eat or make fasting dangerous to your health, than He understands that. 

Two points:

1. Of course fasting is between you and the Lord. Every element of your personal worship is between you and the Lord. Some people take this to mean, "Do whatever you want, because God is good and he will justify you." Not so.

2. Sure the Lord understands. He understands if you can't fast, and he understands if you "can't" fast. He is the same merciful God no matter what. But the fact remains: The divine blessings of the fast are reserved for those who fast. No one else gets them, ever. Even if they "can't" fast. Even if they REALLY cannot fast. God understands, and God makes allowance as he sees fit. But in the words of D&C 130:20–21,

There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—and when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

The blessings of the fast come by fasting, and in no other way.

1 minute ago, let’s roll said:

My experience with fasting (regardless of the duration) has always been positive when I’ve had proper focus, a focus on communion.  Each time that focus has been absent my fast has been a futile diet.

10 minutes ago, let’s roll said:

I truly believe however,  that if our circumstances had been different and our parents had not been members, my wife and I would have opted to marry civilly and then, if necessary, waited a year to be sealed.

The 2nd statement doesn't show proper focus.

39 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

Attending the temple is a commandment and therefore will be blessed for that sacrifice.  Getting sealed is a commandment and they will be blessed for that.  Getting married in the temple is not.  No particular blessing.

This is silly.

Temple Marriage is an eternal covenant.  Civil Marriage is not.

5 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

The 2nd statement doesn't show proper focus.

Well that’s one person’s opinion, and because it’s likely shared by others, you hear couples say they feel shamed into doing something they otherwise wouldn’t do.  As one of God’s servants explained, it’s the difference between dancing and hearing the music of the Gospel.

My point was that I would be willing to explain my decision to God and let Him look inside my heart and judge me according.  Based on a number of other experiences with Him, I believe I would have had peace in my heart regarding the decision.  That said, I concede it’s a hypothetical.

Guest MormonGator
22 minutes ago, Vort said:

Some people take this to mean, "Do whatever you want, because God is good and he will justify you." Not so.

I never said that, for the record. 

I'm very confident that @carlimac was correct. There are legit reasons for you to take your health into concern when it comes to fasting. 

I never said that, for the record. 

Nor did I mean to suggest you did. But that is very often the direction such conversations tend to take.

I'm very confident that @carlimac was correct. There are legit reasons for you to take your health into concern when it comes to fasting. 

With that specific wording, I agree with her. But I am also confident that I'm correct about the prevalence of people excusing themselves from fasting for insufficient reasons. I can't point to the individuals and make that judgment, but the prevalence of "I-can't-fast"ism belies the realities of the fast and of our creation and the capabilities of our bodies. Most of those who "can't" fast would do well to heed the counsel of President Woodruff. In the end, the person they deprive most are themselves, and secondarily their children and others who look to them or depend upon them.

58 minutes ago, carlimac said:

Once again I am flabbergasted that someone would have this condescending attitude toward other members of the church. IT IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!! 

It could be condescending, but it could be that one recognizes the blessings that come from fasting and hopes all others can partake as well. I do feel blessed for having health and being able to fast.  

Everyone has their demons in the world they have to fight.  It can be health, sin, crazy family members, etc.  Treat everyone with kindness is what we should do.  I am not that great at that.

3 minutes ago, let’s roll said:

Well that’s one person’s opinion, and because it’s likely shared by others, you hear couples say they feel shamed into doing something they otherwise wouldn’t do.  As one of God’s servants explained, it’s the difference between dancing and hearing the music of the Gospel.

My point was that I would be willing to explain my decision to God and let Him look inside my heart and judge me according.  Based on a number of other experiences with Him, I believe I would have had peace in my heart regarding the decision.  That said, I concede it’s a hypothetical.

And because it's a hypothetical I'm going to go ahead and tell you that in a marital covenant, the parents are not in the covenant, therefore have no bearing on the decision.

Saying that "they can't be in the celebration" is not correct.  Temple marriage is the covenant, not the celebration.  You can go celebrate to your heart's content outside the temple complete with all the bridezilla cultural pizzaz you want.

4 minutes ago, Vort said:

Nor did I mean to suggest you did. But that is very often the direction such conversations tend to take.

With that specific wording, I agree with her. But I am also confident that I'm correct about the prevalence of people excusing themselves from fasting for insufficient reasons. I can't point to the individuals and make that judgment, but the prevalence of "I-can't-fast"ism belies the realities of the fast and of our creation and the capabilities of our bodies. Most of those who "can't" fast would do well to heed the counsel of President Woodruff. In the end, the person they deprive most are themselves, and secondarily their children and others who look to them or depend upon them.

This has become very prevalent with our conversations here on LDS.net that it has become, frankly, disturbing... we now cannot teach proper principles because there are too many people who want to focus on the exception and take offense that we teach to the general population.  That's how you get the abhorrent Canadian Bill C-16.

Edited by anatess2

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, Vort said:

But I am also confident that I'm correct about the prevalence of people excusing themselves from fasting for insufficient reasons.

We agree, and lets remember that just because people have insufficient reasons for excusing themselves from fasting doesn't mean there aren't legit reasons for skipping fasting. 

7 minutes ago, Vort said:

Most people could handle skipping a meal or two now and again for other reasons as well...um......including me. ;)

8 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Saying that "they can't be in the celebration" is not correct.  Temple marriage is the covenant, not the celebration.  You can go celebrate to your heart's content outside the temple complete with all the bridezilla cultural pizzaz you want.

You "can". But I would argue that you should, probably, keep the bridezilla stuff out of the matter entirely. ;)

8 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

This has become very prevalent with our conversations here on LDS.net  mormonhub.com

Fixed it.

Hahaha.

It's not just here. This is a tactic you see everywhere now. It's part of the victim, outrage culture we live in.