What to do about Pronouns

Wave

32 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

When I see threads like this I want to say  'My preferred pronoun is   "Your Highness" '   :D  Everyone make a note of it please

I believe that's a title or at closest a title prefix (some of which are English honorifics which are common in the US).

Edited by JohnsonJones

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 11:28 AM, Wave said:

So for my childhood, I have grown up in a LDS community, and I decided to go to Portland, Oregon for college. 

With this transition, came new ideas put in my face. (Of course, I did my research.) But now, I find myself have to introduce name, major, and "preferred pronouns". 

At the end of the day, you do you.

But I personally don't know how to handle this situation. A man is a man, and a woman is a woman. (And cases of intersex are real) That's why we have he and she. And like what some well known people like Jordan Petersen say that it's not good to force language.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I'd rather not use preferred pronouns. Cuz I mean (and this is just my personal idea) the more we use these words for whoever, aren't they just gonna lose their meaning? Like we have "she" to help identify females, but if we threw it around, it would no longer mean specifically for what it was created for in the first place. 

Am I wrong for thinking like this? Of course in the end, think what you want. 

Thanks in advance for any responses. :)

if i ever have that opportunity i think i'll put down "royal majesty" for my pronoun.

On 9/21/2018 at 4:53 PM, Larry Cotrell said:

This conservative student at the University of Michigan decided that his* pronoun would be "His Majesty."

*Correction, His Majesty's pronoun would be...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/education/wp/2016/10/07/a-university-told-students-to-select-their-gender-pronouns-one-chose-his-majesty/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ab49f08c82e4

As a proud holder of two Michigan degrees, I can say with certainty that all Michigan grad should be addressed as Majesty. We are, after all, "the leaders and the best."

btw - Michigan's recent giving campaign raised 5 BILLION dollars. Even I'm impressed, and I always expect great things from Michigan. Go Blue!

Guest MormonGator
37 minutes ago, dahlia said:

As a proud holder of two Michigan degrees, I can say with certainty that all Michigan grad should be addressed as Majesty. We are, after all, "the leaders and the best."

The husband of one of my aunts went to Ohio State. When I first met him, I said "Go Michigan." We still laugh about it. 

Guest LiterateParakeet
9 hours ago, Lost Boy said:

I don't have any real issue calling a he a she or a she a he if that is what they prefer.   But that is as far as I will go.  If they want to be called by some made up pronoun, they are out of luck.

That is how I feel as well.  He/she...fine, but some people want to be called "they".  No! "They" denotes plural; the grammar nazi in me just will not allow me to use a plural pronoun to refer to a single individual.  I'll just use the proper name over and over if needed.  

2 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

"They" denotes plural; the grammar nazi in me just will not allow me to use a plural pronoun to refer to a single individual.

But, but, me, myself, and I are three persons in one - we're we, and us.  We demand that you call us "them" or "they" or "you all" or "you lot" or "y'all" or "you three" (because you alone isn't clearly plural these days) - and our stuff is "ours" or "theirs" or "yourses" (because any more, yours isn't clearly plural).  But if you can't bear to call us any of those things, then you can call us zils. ;)  How do we change our login name?

3 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

That is how I feel as well.  He/she...fine, but some people want to be called "they".  No! "They" denotes plural; the grammar nazi in me just will not allow me to use a plural pronoun to refer to a single individual.  I'll just use the proper name over and over if needed.  

You must be Filipino when... you get your he's and she's confused.  "Don't even" with that he that's a she or a she that's a he thing... we're dead.

1 hour ago, zil said:

But, but, me, myself, and I are three persons in one - we're we, and us.  We demand that you call us "them" or "they" or "you all" or "you lot" or "y'all" or "you three" (because you alone isn't clearly plural these days) - and our stuff is "ours" or "theirs" or "yourses" (because any more, yours isn't clearly plural).  But if you can't bear to call us any of those things, then you can call us zils. ;)  How do we change our login name?

So, I was reading this article about the Wachowski brothers who were the directors of The Matrix who are now the Wachowski sisters.  This article was talking about each of them individually but the article keeps on referring to each one as they and also they for the both of them.  I gave up reading the thing because I can't make heads and tails of who is doing what or saying what or believing what!  I refuse to surrender the majority's comprehension skills to a teeny minority.

5 hours ago, zil said:

Oh, do you want us to call you the Walrus?

The purpose of this thread is now for me to choose three words to fulfill the purpose of she, her, and hers, right? Time for some keyboard mashing.

She: oreih Her: ioewn Hers: djfgi  Needs more vowels. Trying again. Hers: dure

Now I expect you all to use those whenever you're talking about me from here on out.