How important is what we did in high school? Kavanaugh accusation

carlimac

There are certain things that can happen to a young man if he lets himself become intoxicated.  For example, he may perpetrate an assault—or may be accused of doing so and have no ready alibi.

There are also certain things that can happen to a young woman if she lets herself become intoxicated.  For example, she may be assaulted—or have no clear memory of whether she was assailted or not.  

None of this is right.  

But it is largely (not completely, of course) avoidable by the simple expedient of not becoming intoxicated.  

When Joseph Smith spoke of the Saints as being the ones who would save the Constitution from its most dire threat—perhaps that will be because we’ll be the only ones who have a clear memory of what we did and didn’t do during our own high school years?  (And yes, that’s tongue-in-cheek.)

Edited by Just_A_Guy

3 minutes ago, carlimac said:

What's happening on October 15? ( and what does FIFY mean?)

My ongoing proposal has been that Trump just tell the Senate that of Kavanaugh hasn’t been confirmed by October 15, he’ll withdraw Kavanaugh’s name and put forward someone the Dems will hate even more (Barrett, Cruz, etc).

Just for the sake of creating sheer chaos, Mitt Romney (JD, Harvard, 1975) might be an amusing pick.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

1 minute ago, Just_A_Guy said:

My ongoing proposal has been that Trump just tell the Senate that of Kavanaugh hasn’t been confirmed by October 15, he’ll withdraw Kavanaugh’s name and put forward someone even more rigidly constitutionalist/conservative.

Is there something significant about that date or is it just random?

4 hours ago, anatess2 said:

It starts to make sense if you start to connect it with the media frenzy over the Catholic priests.  I've held this opinion for a while and it has not been proven wrong yet.  They're trying to slowly build a narrative.  Note, Trump's top 2 picks were Kavanaugh and Barrett - both devout Catholic graduates of Catholic Schools.  The field has been prepped for expanding the sexual depravity of Catholic priests to Catholic Schools as a means to smear the characters of these 2 picks.

It's latin.

Not to try to disappoint you but I haven't heard even a whisper about his religion having anything to do with this. I've only seen the accusations connected to  spoiled brat prep school kids, drinking, drugs and bad boys.  Maybe I'm not reading the right opinion pieces. Too bad the left seems to be missing it's opportunity to tie him to the Catholic priest fiasco.   I can hardly wait till someone claims he has a son from one of these "rapes". But naw...that would be too easy to prove false. 

Looks like we may be about to have another “I’m Spartacus” moment, of sorts . . .

https://pjmedia.com/trending/bombshell-man-tells-judiciary-committee-he-did-it-not-kavanaugh/

Swetnick’s in for a hard day tomorrow, too:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/26/ex-boyfriend-filed-restraining-order-against-kavanaugh-accuser-845348

And, blogger Tamara Keel is calling this the “Pickett’s Charge of the #metoo movement” (omitting link due to profanity).

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Just now, Colirio said:

The kind of man who gets nominated to be a judge on the US Supreme Court. 

I'm so glad my ex wife would never make it through law school.  She had boxes of things like grocery receipts from 10+ years back taking up space in the house.  Finding her car title in that mess was an all day project. 

7 hours ago, NightSG said:

OK, that settles it; what kind of demented freak still has a calendar laying around from 36 years ago?

Actually I do but it would never work for me in a court of law because I didn't write everything down on it. A lot of my activities were spontaneous and many things I wrote down got changed but not removed from my calendars. So I can't see that calendars are very valuable in establishing what happened.

9 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Looks like we may be about to have another “I’m Spartacus” moment, of sorts . . .

https://pjmedia.com/trending/bombshell-man-tells-judiciary-committee-he-did-it-not-kavanaugh/

Swetnick’s in for a hard day tomorrow, too:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/26/ex-boyfriend-filed-restraining-order-against-kavanaugh-accuser-845348

And, blogger Tamara Keel is calling this the “Pickett’s Charge of the #metoo movement” (omitting link due to profanity).

With this revelation, my guess is that Ford was confused and the other two were strategically piling on through a combination of vague memories that barely if at all involve Kavanaugh,  just enough fabrication to make it all fit the narrative and some attorneys seizing the day.  

I just watched about 90 seconds of the hearing. Sadly, I think he's toast. He wasn't a straight arrow in high school and now it's coming back to bite him in the fanny even if he's been a good and respectful adult.  I don't think he assaulted girls. But there is just so much innuendo. People are so vicious!

Edited by carlimac

1 hour ago, Chilean said:

I'd like to see that calendar being used in his court, him as judge. Would that calendar be enough evidence to him, that someone didn't commit a crime?

Against a half-remembered accusation, a "witness" who has no clue what the accuser is talking about and zero other evidence?  He'd likely thank the defendant for being the only one to bother bringing anything at all of value while he tossed the case. 

30 minutes ago, carlimac said:

I just watched about 90 seconds of the hearing. Sadly, I think he's toast. He wasn't a straight arrow in high school and now it's coming back to bite him in the fanny. I don't think he assaulted girls. But there is just so much innuendo. People are so vicious!

Then Ms. Ford and Mr. Kavanaugh have much in common  https://www.realclearinvestigations.com/articles/2018/09/27/blasey_ford_yearbooks.html

However, there is simply nothing in all of the allegations that rises to the point of affecting someone's career thirty years later IMHO. This appears to me to be teenage drunken activities being spun into a harrowing tale of life and death for political purposes. It's not relevant to his past or future job performance.

13 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

My ongoing proposal has been that Trump just tell the Senate that of Kavanaugh hasn’t been confirmed by October 15, he’ll withdraw Kavanaugh’s name and put forward someone the Dems will hate even more (Barrett, Cruz, etc).

Just for the sake of creating sheer chaos, Mitt Romney (JD, Harvard, 1975) might be an amusing pick.

Is Mike Lee a possibility? Why or why not?

23 minutes ago, clwnuke said:

Then Ms. Ford and Mr. Kavanaugh have much in common  https://www.realclearinvestigations.com/articles/2018/09/27/blasey_ford_yearbooks.html

However, there is simply nothing in all of the allegations that rises to the point of affecting someone's career thirty years later IMHO. This appears to me to be teenage drunken activities being spun into a harrowing tale of life and death for political purposes. It's not relevant to his past or future job performance.

It's my view that a teenage boy who attempts a sexual assault (even while drunk) may well have a deep flaw likely to continue through the rest of his life, and it is very relevant to future job performance.