How important is what we did in high school? Kavanaugh accusation

carlimac

1 minute ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Didn’t the polygraph only ask, like, three questions?

Two questions and the polygraph examiner went on TV and said that's a standard practice because it's not normal to take a polygraph test from the victim, it's the accused who is supposed to take the polygraph test.  Of course, he's a Dem operative.

6 minutes ago, Vort said:

My son, whose opinion I listen to closely, said that he was convinced Ford believed her own story and was sincere. He also believed that she was emotionally and probably mentally imbalanced, and that whatever happened to her, it probably did not involve Kavanaugh. Of course, there is no reason to listen to the anonymous son of some anonymous guy on the internet. But I listen to him, and I think he discerns the truth more often than not.

I said the same thing. Did you miss it or do you not love and trust me as much as your own son?

29 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Didn’t the polygraph only ask, like, three questions?

When my background was evaluated by an unnamed federal agency long ago, the polygraph was almost 5 hours long with breaks and repeated sessions. Three questions will tell you nothing.

I am always skeptical when people describe childhood memories. Science does not support people recalling events from years ago with accuracy. In fact, science says even short term memory is notoriously bad. Without corroborating evidence, memories should generally be taken with a lot of salt. Polygraphs don't catch false memories that are genuinely, but mistakenly, remembered anyway.

How the Brain Creates False Memories   https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/02/050205130345.htm

Forgetting details, getting the gist may prompt false memories in older adults   https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/03/180321143722.htm

False Memories Affect Behavior   https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/08/080819160245.htm

Can We Believe Our Memories?   https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/04/040401075501.htm

4 hours ago, mirkwood said:

(Juanita) "Broaddrick slammed the mantra "All women deserve to be believed." (When she said) “All women are to be believed if they’re not conservatives and as long as the assault was not done by Democrats," she said"

There is a difference in that Juanita B HAD evidence, she was torn and battered and the Democrats turned their backs on her and threw their support to Clinton.

This whole thing just makes me mad and sick to my stomach.

Double standards depending on political party.

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, Lindy said:

Yup. 

The way I see it is that it all boils down to Trump. If you like him, you believe Kavanaugh. If you dislike him, you believe Ford. Like I mentioned a few posts ago, my friend and I had a blast guessing who supported who. We were amazingly accurate.  

5 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Kavanaugh is the Mitt Romney of Catholics.  Nobody is immune.

I'm not saying anything against Kavanaugh- but Romney backed gay rights and gay marriage in Massachusetts to further his agenda as governor.

I lost my respect for the man at that time. He was a poor example as a Church Member standing up for what is right.

I hope that Brett Kavanaugh is a better Catholic than Romney is a Mormon.

15 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Yup. 

The way I see it is that it all boils down to Trump. If you like him, you believe Kavanaugh. If you dislike him, you believe Ford. Like I mentioned a few posts ago, my friend and I had a blast guessing who supported who. We were amazingly accurate.  

I not so certain.  I absolutely abhor Trump, but I'm do not necessarily believe Ford.  Thus far, though she seems emotional, she doesn't seem to have given any credible evidence for her story.  This is turning into changing the idea of innocent until proven guilty to guilty until proven innocent.  Whether it is a court case or outside the court for job interviews, going this direction can set a dangerous precedent towards society at large always going with the guilty before proven innocent ideal, which I think is a disastrous turn of ideas whether you are Democrat or Republican.

Everyone (well, most at this point) know that the ONLY reason this has come up in this confirmation is that it is a delaying tactic.  Democrats have NO real concern for this lady or anyone else, it is all about the politics.  They believe they will gain at a minimum, the house in the midterms, and perhaps even the Senate as well.  It is a delaying tactic so that they might be able to have more influence on the pick.

I will lean towards their views in many instances, but on this I think what this is becoming is despicable and a farce.  I'm not so hard seated as a Democrat to want to play dirty tricks like this to win.  The ONLY thing that may set Democrats above Republican in politics would be if they can be more honest and true in their dealings, and more charitable and caring in their attitude towards the common person.  You must retain your morality and ethic regardless of the situation.  If that means a SC justice gets confirmed because you refuse to stoop to the level of the opposing party, then so be it.

Stooping lower and being dirtier than the other party...that's a HUGE turn off.  I hope it is not just me, but any American that is not so hardcore on one side or the other that when we vote (the mighty independents of the US) people actually find that we may be somewhat important in determining elections.  If it is, this is NOT winning the Democrats any favors.  (Not that the Republicans normally win any favors either, sometimes it becomes which side of evil you are going to vote for).

Edited by JohnsonJones

Guest MormonGator
Just now, JohnsonJones said:

I not so certain.

Right, it's not 100%. Oddly though, the overwhelming majority of people fall right into the category. There are very, very, very few people who fall into your boat JJ. And I believe you, for the record. 

Guest MormonGator

And I know how the game is played. I'm sure that everyone will suddenly say "Oh, I love Trump but don't believe Kavanuagh! I hate Trump but I believe Kavanugh!". Take a look at your FB page. For the majority of your politically aware friends, are you really surprised by what they are saying? 

I have friends on both sides-I'm not surprised. At all. 

Edited by MormonGator

25 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

The way I see it is that it all boils down to Trump. If you like him, you believe Kavanaugh. If you dislike him, you believe Ford.

I watched the hearing with an open mind, giving Dr Ford a chance to prove her allegations. I didn't hear any evidence on her behalf, and was amazed how scatterbrained she seemed to be having a degree in psychology. She honestly seemed confused at words she should have learned in both high school and college. As I watched and listened to her.... I felt red flags going up.

That woman needs more help than any FBI investigation can give her.

I think Trump is a pig, a patriotic pig, but a pig nonetheless. I think he tries hard to do his best for our country, but that's about the best thing I can say about him.

I honestly think Kavanaugh is getting railroaded - my feelings don't have anything to do with if I like Trump or not.

Edited by Lindy

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, Lindy said:

I watched the hearing with an open mind, giving Dr Ford a chance to prove her allegations. I didn't hear any evidence on her behalf, and was amazed how scatterbrained she seemed to be having a degree in psychology. She honestly seemed confused at words she should have learned in both high school and college. As I watched and listened to her.... I felt red flags going up.

That woman needs more help than any FBI investigation can give her.

I'm not even saying if I believe her or not. My posts are strictly what I've observed happening on social media. And yes, I freely admit my observations aren't scientific or the final word in this controversy. 

Edited by MormonGator

22 minutes ago, Lindy said:

I think Trump is a pig, a patriotic pig, but a pig nonetheless. I think he tries hard to do his best for our country, but that's about the best thing I can say about him.

This.

They tell me when Richard Nixon was president, people would say "Yeah, he's a [bleep], but he's our [bleep]!"

1 minute ago, NeuroTypical said:

This.

They tell me when Richard Nixon was president, people would say "Yeah, he's a [bleep], but he's our [bleep]!"

Is that, "Yeah, he's a Richard, but he's our Richard!"

1 hour ago, Lindy said:

(Juanita) "Broaddrick slammed the mantra "All women deserve to be believed." (When she said) “All women are to be believed if they’re not conservatives and as long as the assault was not done by Democrats," she said"

There is a difference in that Juanita B HAD evidence, she was torn and battered and the Democrats turned their backs on her and threw their support to Clinton.

This whole thing just makes me mad and sick to my stomach.

Lest you misunderstood me.  I was not attacking Broaddrick.  The ball was dropped with Clinton and his sexcapades.