New Temple Predictions

SilentOne

3 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

India: 13,570 members

Israel: 288 members

I think it may be awhile in Israel, at least until the Israeli government changes rules on proselyting.

Israel is a LOT smaller than India though and members are far more concentrated.  It may sound odd, but because of how Members are normally situated and who they are you actually might have the temple open far more often than you would in India.  In addition, you'd have a LOT more tourists and others going through that would want to go to such a temple, hence if you had missionaries in a small temple operating it there, it may actually even have enough to do daily sessions during some seasons.

I don't see this happening in India, or even close to it.

Getting the Government of Israel to agree to it though may be as likely as them allowing anyone who is not Jew and Israeli to do various things that are restricted to those who are.

(PS: Of course they also built a temple in Hong Kong and the Membership isn't terribly high there from what I can tell.  There are larger groups around there, but Hong Kong itself seems to only have around 10K more than India, so there's that.  Hong Kong also is smaller and more concentrated than India though, so there's also that.

I also don't expect that the church would push such an issue, which is probably one reason why it was able to build the Center in the first place).

Edited by JohnsonJones

On 9/25/2018 at 7:23 PM, Vort said:

I know that this idea was floated (npi) years ago. It seems like a brilliant idea, only...I don't know. Somehow, something seems off about it to me. Probably just fuddy-duddiness on my part. We can make comparisons to Israel's tabernacle, but something just doesn't seem quite right.

Maybe:

The waters are cursed?

A temple with no foundation?

Cost?  People have no idea how much it costs to run a large ship like that.  EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!

18 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Israel is a LOT smaller than India though and members are far more concentrated.  It may sound odd, but because of how Members are normally situated and who they are you actually might have the temple open far more often than you would in India.  In addition, you'd have a LOT more tourists and others going through that would want to go to such a temple, hence if you had missionaries in a small temple operating it there, it may actually even have enough to do daily sessions during some seasons.

I don't see this happening in India, or even close to it.

Getting the Government of Israel to agree to it though may be as likely as them allowing anyone who is not Jew and Israeli to do various things that are restricted to those who are.

(PS: Of course they also built a temple in Hong Kong and the Membership isn't terribly high there from what I can tell.  There are larger groups around there, but Hong Kong itself seems to only have around 10K more than India, so there's that.  Hong Kong also is smaller and more concentrated than India though, so there's also that.

I also don't expect that the church would push such an issue, which is probably one reason why it was able to build the Center in the first place).

For Israel, I think they're waiting for the Temple Mount site.

Just now, JohnsonJones said:

In my Opinion

No way would Israel ever let the church build on the Temple Mount if it ever could be done.  The closest would be letting the church pay for a Temple that Israel constructs strictly for the Jews.

I don't disagree.  Hence, no temple.

• 2 weeks later...

Two last things before I go.

On 9/24/2018 at 1:59 PM, SilentOne said:

European countries without temples: Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Norway, Poland, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Vatican City 

I'm disappointed nobody had anything snarky to say about me including the Vatican.

On 9/23/2018 at 7:49 PM, SilentOne said:

Now throwing out a few guesses: Bangor, Maine; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Budapest, Hungary; Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

I got one!😃 😁😀😄

On 9/29/2018 at 5:49 AM, Carborendum said:

Maybe:

The waters are cursed?

A temple with no foundation?

Cost?  People have no idea how much it costs to run a large ship like that.  EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!

But would it really need to be that big? I imagine even a small yacht would do just fine.

The only issue I see with it right now is that the only places that would really need such a floating temple are mostly some of the most dangerous places to have a nice boat like that. 

The pacific islands and Asian coast would probably be the only worthwhile place to have it.

Edited by Fether

• 11 months later...
On 9/25/2018 at 3:31 PM, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Here are my guesses for the next few years:

Millcreek, Utah.

West Valley City, Utah

Nephi, Utah

Richfield, Utah

Flagstaff, Arizona

Evanston, Wyoming

Busan, South Korea

Redding, California

Kahului, Hawaii

Luganville, Vanuatu

Papua New Guinea

Charleston, West Virginia

Very close for one with Taylorsville, and right on with PNG.

My family has been doing some serious speculation about exactly where the Taylorsville temple will be.

Edited to add that our frontrunner is around Bangerter and 6200 South.

Edited by SilentOne

12 hours ago, SilentOne said:

Very close for one with Taylorsville, and right on with PNG.

My family has been doing some serious speculation about exactly where the Taylorsville temple will be.

Edited to add that our frontrunner is around Bangerter and 6500 South.

I just did estimations based on number of Stakes in the areas compared to temples. With the Guam temple however there is a possibility that one or two stakes can run a temple. Based on the number of temples that President Nelson has announced each conference it is possible we will see over 300 by the end of the next decade. Awesome time to be alive.

On 9/29/2018 at 10:31 AM, JohnsonJones said:

In my Opinion

No way would Israel ever let the church build on the Temple Mount if it ever could be done.  The closest would be letting the church pay for a Temple that Israel constructs strictly for the Jews.

I find it interesting that Jews do not visit the Temple Mount.  They will come to an outer wall of the old temple and that it is.  This is the reason that Islam controls the Temple Mount -because the Jews do not believe they have the authority to enter the sacred ground.  The Muslims have very strange ideas about the sacred ground. For example, guys can hold hand while walking on the sacred ground but a husband and wife cannot.  A good way to lose your camera is to take a picture on the sacred ground with your arm around your wife.

Most individuals that attend our church meetings in Israel have citizenship in another country (sometimes dual citizenship) and thus have access to other temples.  The church leadership is a little different in Israel in that they report directly to the quorum of the 12 rather than the regular stake or mission structure.   It sounds crazy but if someone that is Islam in Israel converts to our church - it is considered a capital crime (death penalty) according to the Palestine Authority.   I am very sure that building a temple on the Temple Mount will be a bigger problem within Islam than it will be with the Jews.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

10 hours ago, Traveler said:

I find it interesting that Jews do not visit the Temple Mount.  They will come to an outer wall of the old temple and that it is.  This is the reason that Islam controls the Temple Mount -because the Jews do not believe they have the authority to enter the sacred ground.

To be fair, the story is that when the Muslims seized control of the Holy Land, they found that the Christians had turned the temple site on the temple mount into essentially a garbage dump. They cleaned it up and build what is now their (I think) third-holiest mosque there.

1 hour ago, Vort said:

To be fair, the story is that when the Muslims seized control of the Holy Land, they found that the Christians had turned the temple site on the temple mount into essentially a garbage dump. They cleaned it up and build what is now their (I think) third-holiest mosque there.

A little more information - most Jews (including Jesus as a mortal) were only allowed into the outer courts of the temple.  Only priests were allowed to enter what is now the temple mount.  There are no ordained Jewish priests - there are certain exceptions and there have been a couple of Jews (certain workmen) on the mount but according to the law of Moses - it is forbidden for Jews without the priesthood to enter.  There is an ordinance (that involves a red calf) to prepare someone with the priesthood to go to the temple mount to perform sacred ordinances but without the priesthood of Aaron (Levitical) even this cannot be done - which is the single most important reason a temple has never been rebuilt. -- Though some (Christians and Muslims) think it would be an act of war against Islam to construct a temple.  Having talked to several Jews at what is now called "The Wall" - the general idea is that this is sacred because of G-d and when G-d is ready (and not before) a temple will be built for the Jews.  It will be a sign to them of the "Real" Messiah.

BTW - Muslims believe that Mohammed was taken up into heaven for a short time and for a revelation at the location of the Mosk, which is why it is sacred to them.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

• 5 months later...

Because the map shown during this last session was very empty in mid-Asia, I'll say Almaty, Kazakhstan and Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia out of a sense of hope. Also León, Guanajuato, Mexico; Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada; Concord, New Hampshire, USA; and Rapid City, South Dakota, USA.

one way to help predict the location of temples is the population of members vs. temple located nearby.

Here is my best guess list for this year:

-Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

-Czech Republic

-Warsaw, Poland.

-Tirana, Albania

-Konstanz, Switzerland

-Ireland

-Liberia

-Kitwe, Zambia

-Nar del Plata or Comodoro, Argentina

-Townsville, Australia

-And several more in the United States.

2 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

one way to help predict the location of temples is the population of members vs. temple located nearby.

Here is my best guess list for this year:

-Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

-Czech Republic

-Warsaw, Poland.

-Tirana, Albania

-Konstanz, Switzerland

-Ireland

-Liberia

-Kitwe, Zambia

-Nar del Plata or Comodoro, Argentina

-Townsville, Australia

-And several more in the United States.

Man, I got close on these two - Kitwe, Zambia and Nar del Plata, Argentina (misspelled it though)

1 hour ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Man, I got close on these two - Kitwe, Zambia and Nar del Plata, Argentina (misspelled it though)

I was considering cities in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and then decided it would probably not be this conference.

Guest Scott
8 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Well, Dubai and Shanghai were the surprises this time.  Very interesting.

I would have never guessed Dubai.  There are only 1600 members there, so I assume the temple will be small.

As far as the Shanghai temple, that was announced last year (at least on our Church website).   For those who are interested in the Shanghai temple, it isn't open to the general membership of the Church.    Only Chinese members living in China can go and it will be by appointment only.

You can read about the Shanghai temple on our Church website:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/China

Some interesting quotes from the website above concerning the temple:

Entry will be limited to Chinese members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints holding a valid recommend.   These Chinese members will have a membership record in the China Administrative Unit of the Church or will reside outside of China but hold a valid PRC passport.

Chinese Church members with a Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macau residents and a valid recommend may also enter.  

In an initial phase of facility use, entry will be by appointment only.  Such a facility will not be a tourist destination, even for Church members with a recommend. 

---------------------------------

Consistent with established Church practice, activities in such a facility strengthen families, bless marriages, and honor ancestors. It is also a place that teaches virtuous moral standards, values, and covenants.

---------------------------------

In a Shanghai China Temple, Church members also learn the importance of family, marriage, ancestors, and making covenants.

The last sentence is important because it was referred to as a temple last year on the Church website.