New Temple Predictions

SilentOne

Guest Scott

Anyway for the next few years, here are my predictions:

Grand Junction Colorado

Colorado Springs

Morovia Liberia

I have thought that Nevada would get another one eventually, but where?   Elko maybe?

Edited by Scott

4 hours ago, Scott said:

I would have never guessed Dubai...

As far as the Shanghai temple, that was announced last year (at least on our Church website)...

I never noticed the announcement on the Church Website.  Around what month was it posted?

13 hours ago, Midwest LDS said:

Agreed. Those really surprised me. Especially the one in Shanghai.

Anyway, 

It was interesting that the Dubai temple was at the request of their government (at least that is what Pres. Nelson seemed to say.  Did I mis-hear him?).

But the Shanghai temple was a concession that the Chinese government made because of the condition of the Hong Kong temple (rennovation).  I think this is a good example of how bad things can lead to good things.  Anytime a door is closed, a window opens.

3 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

About the China thing:

Shanghai and Hong Kong are over 700 miles from each other.  Is Shanghai *really* merely a substitute for the closure of the Hong Kong temple?

Many decades ago the members in the US had very few options of Temples outside of Utah.  One of the main temples was the Washington DC temple.  While I'm not positive of the entire range of those who attended it, I think 700 miles was within the range of those included in it's temple district.  I remember people used to have it as a multiple day event when they went to the Temple, just to get there and then to return.

23 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

About the China thing:

Shanghai and Hong Kong are over 700 miles from each other.  Is Shanghai *really* merely a substitute for the closure of the Hong Kong temple?

That's kinda where I was going with the "good coming from bad" comment.

Guest Scott
2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I never noticed the announcement on the Church Website.  Around what month was it posted?

I don't know what month it was posted.  I noticed it when I was looking up information last year for a forum thread discussing the gospel being preached to all nations.

4 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Wayback machine shows this page existed back in June. https://web.archive.org/web/20190606070508/https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/China

But mention of Shanghai wasn't there back in January.

9 hours ago, Scott said:

I would have never guessed Dubai.  There are only 1600 members there, so I assume the temple will be small.

Did I understand President Nelson correctly, that we were actually invited to build a temple there?

9 hours ago, Scott said:

As far as the Shanghai temple, that was announced last year (at least on our Church website).   For those who are interested in the Shanghai temple, it isn't open to the general membership of the Church.    Only Chinese members living in China can go and it will be by appointment only.

I'm sure many were disappointed by this. But I think it's fitting and appropriate. There are certainly worse things than "temple tourism", but I do think that such an attitude misses the purpose of temples. When the face of the earth is dotted with thousands of temples, no one will likely have the means (or time) to visit them all. That's really not what it's about.

Guest Scott
2 minutes ago, Vort said:

Did I understand President Nelson correctly, that we were actually invited to build a temple there?

Yes; that is what I got from his statement too. 

2 minutes ago, Vort said:

I'm sure many were disappointed by this. 

Maybe, but I think most members will be happy that we have a temple there.

I mentioned the other stuff because it was interesting.  I see it as a positive.

Such a temple could open a door to a lot of places and a lot more places.  The Shanghai temple is a meeting house/temple.  The temple is likely very small.

Even outside China this could open up the door to a lot of places that don't have enough members for a big temple.

This is just speculation, but I wonder if a lot of smaller meetinghouse/temples will be built in the future, perhaps even more than the big ones.  Once again, this is only my own speculation.

• 11 months later...

Updated "No Temples In" Lists:

North American States/Provinces/Territories

New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Prince Edward Island, Yukon

Delaware, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Northern Mariana Islands, Rhode Island, South Dakota, U.S. Virgin Islands, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin

Aguascalientes, Baja California Sur, Campeche, Coahuila, Colima, Durango, Guanajuato, Guerrero, Hidalgo, Mexico, Michoacan, Morelos, Nayarit, Queretaro, Quintana Roo, San Luis Potosi, Sinaloa, Tlaxcala, Zacatecas

Africa

Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Gabon, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, The Gambia, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia

Asia/Middle East

Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Georgia, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Syria, Tajikistan, Timor-Leste, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen

Europe

Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Vatican City

Also Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland

Central America/Caribbean

Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Cuba, Dominica, Grenada, Jamaica, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago

Oceania

Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Solomon Islands, Tuvalu

South America

Guyana, Suriname

Also French Guiana and the Falklands

Utah Counties

Beaver, Carbon, Daggett, Duchesne, Emery, Garfield, Grand, Juab, Kane, Millard, Morgan, Piute, Rich, Sevier, Summit, Wasatch, Wayne

Edited by SilentOne
Adding Utah counties list

To get us started:

Belfast, Northern Ireland; Singapore; Heber City, Utah; Antananarivo, Madagascar; Georgetown, Guyana; Elko, Nevada; Jackson, Mississippi; Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia; Tepic, Mexico; Krakow, Poland

Edited by SilentOne

• 2 weeks later...

I am now going to compete against myself and say Mazatlán, Mexico; Wellington, New Zealand; Oslo, Norway; Cincinnati, Ohio; Edinburgh, Scotland; Cape Town, South Africa; Seville, Spain; Kampala, Uganda; and Richfield, Utah

Edited by SilentOne
adding a last-minute Uganda guess

On 3/21/2021 at 12:18 AM, SilentOne said:

Belfast, Northern Ireland; Singapore; Heber City, Utah; Antananarivo, Madagascar; Georgetown, Guyana; Elko, Nevada; Jackson, Mississippi; Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia; Tepic, Mexico; Krakow, Poland

2 points for Me 1

On 4/2/2021 at 9:12 PM, SilentOne said:

Mazatlán, Mexico; Wellington, New Zealand; Oslo, Norway; Cincinnati, Ohio; Edinburgh, Scotland; Cape Town, South Africa; Seville, Spain; Kampala, Uganda; and Richfield, Utah

2 points for Me 2

I guess that makes it a tie.

On 4/6/2020 at 1:09 AM, Guest Scott said:

Anyway for the next few years, here are my predictions:

Grand Junction Colorado

Colorado Springs

Morovia Liberia

I have thought that Nevada would get another one eventually, but where?   Elko maybe?

And after going through the whole thread, I found correct guesses from Scott last year.

• 5 months later...

Updated "No Temples In" Lists:

North American States/Provinces/Territories

New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Prince Edward Island, Yukon

Delaware, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Northern Mariana Islands, Rhode Island, South Dakota, U.S. Virgin Islands, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin

Aguascalientes, Baja California Sur, Campeche, Colima, Durango, Guanajuato, Guerrero, Hidalgo, Mexico, Michoacan, Morelos, Nayarit, Quintana Roo, San Luis Potosi, Sinaloa, Tlaxcala, Zacatecas

Africa

Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Gabon, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, The Gambia, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia

Asia/Middle East

Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Georgia, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Syria, Tajikistan, Timor-Leste, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen

Europe

Albania, Andorra, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Poland, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey, Vatican City

Also Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland

Central America/Caribbean

Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Cuba, Dominica, Grenada, Jamaica, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago

Oceania

Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Solomon Islands, Tuvalu

South America

Guyana, Suriname

Also French Guiana and the Falklands

Utah Counties

Beaver, Carbon, Daggett, Duchesne, Emery, Garfield, Grand, Juab, Kane, Millard, Morgan, Piute, Rich, Sevier, Summit, Wasatch, Wayne

I’m not saying this will be announced anytime soon—AFAIK the Church doesn’t even own the land—but I was chatting with a Lehi (Utah) city official who says their planners/zoning officials anticipate that “someday” the Church will build a Lehi temple up by the Micron campus (close to the Alpine border).

Edited by Just_A_Guy

11 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I’m not saying this will be announced anytime soon—AFAIK the Church doesn’t even own the land—but I was chatting with a Lehi (Utah) city official who says their planners/zoning officials anticipate that “someday” the Church will build a Lehi temple up by the Micron campus (close to the Alpine border).

The American Fork temple is not that far away from Lehi.  I am just speculating; I wonder if something west of the freeway near Thanksgiving Point that would better serve Saratoga Springs and Eagle Mountain would make better sense. 

The Traveler

52 minutes ago, Traveler said:

The American Fork temple is not that far away from Lehi.  I am just speculating; I wonder if something west of the freeway near Thanksgiving Point that would better serve Saratoga Springs and Eagle Mountain would make better sense. 

The Traveler

The Saratoga Springs temple is right on the border between SS and EM.  Apparently once that and Orem are done, AF will be closed for renovations (including removal of the cafeteria).

Heaven knows the Seattle region needs another temple! It's almost impossible to commute to the Bellevue one in a timely manner the traffic is so bad.

How about a couple more NW temples:

1. The Snohomish Temple

2. The Olympia Temple

3. The Vancouver (WA) Temple

And another CA temple:

4. The San Jose Temple

And long long overdue!

5. A Park City / Heber Temple

Edited by clwnuke
Addition