New Temple Predictions

SilentOne

—Baghdad, Iraq

—A floating temple (ie, a ship) that can be deployed as-needed to coastal cities in Africa, the Persian Gulf, India, Southeast Asia, and/or Oceania.  (Come to think of it, I suppose you could modify a 747 to serve the same purpose). 

Edited by Just_A_Guy

3 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

—Baghdad, Iraq

—A floating temple (ie, a ship) that can be deployed as-needed to coastal cities in Africa, the Persian Gulf, India, Southeast Asia, and/or Oceania.  (Come to think of it, I suppose you could modify a 747 to serve the same purpose). 

I know that this idea was floated (npi) years ago. It seems like a brilliant idea, only...I don't know. Somehow, something seems off about it to me. Probably just fuddy-duddiness on my part. We can make comparisons to Israel's tabernacle, but something just doesn't seem quite right.

IIRC, one of Quinn’s books says that the idea was briefly floated (see what I did there?) in Q12 meetings around the 1920s; but was scuttled (HA!) due to theological concerns (what does it mean to have a baptismal font below “ground level” on a ship?  What of the D&C’s warning that the waters were cursed in the last days?  Etc).

32 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

A floating temple (ie, a ship) that can be deployed as-needed to coastal cities in Africa, the Persian Gulf, India, Southeast Asia, and/or Oceania.  (Come to think of it, I suppose you could modify a 747 to serve the same purpose). 

We will call it Nelson’s Ark

Tooele Utah temple! Growing up, all of us wanted a temple on Tooele... after all it is bigger than a Cedar City and they got a temple!!

29 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Come to think of it, I suppose you could modify a 747 to serve the same purpose

15 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

IIRC, one of Quinn’s books says that the idea was briefly floated (see what I did there?) in Q12 meetings around the 1920s; but was scuttled (HA!) due to theological concerns (what does it mean to have a baptismal font below “ground level” on a ship?  What of the D&C’s warning that the waters were cursed in the last days?  Etc).

So the ship idea was scuttled and the 747 idea was shot down? :itwasntme:

PS - on a ship, there are very definitely parts below water, and that would put them below ground level, so I don't really think that's a problem.  The waters being cursed would be a problem - especially since the ground - er, water - wouldn't hold still long enough to dedicate it - you'd pretty much have to dedicate all the water on the planet (and some of that water just doesn't seem very, um, pure, like after it's flushed).  Also, the ground breaking would be a bit anticlimactic - in goes the shovel, and, what, pour the water right back where it came from?  And then there are pirates off the coast of Africa - would the temple ship have guns fore and aft?  Sigh.  It was such a fun idea.  For 10 seconds.

1 minute ago, Fether said:

Tooele Utah temple! Growing up, all of us wanted a temple on Tooele... after all it is bigger than a Cedar City and they got a temple!!

Pretty sure that idea was tabled until someone can agree on a name spelling that matched the pronunciation a little better. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, zil said:

PS - on a ship, there are very definitely parts below water, and that would put them below ground level, so I don't really think that's a problem. 

If “ground level” = “sea level”, you could theoretically build a temple in Death Valley (elevation 279 feet below sea level) and have the baptismal font on the fifteenth floor! ;) 

2 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

If “ground level” = “sea level”, you could theoretically build a temple in Death Valley (elevation 279 feet below sea level) and have the baptismal font on the fifteenth floor! ;) 

Did you miss the part where I said the fun ended after 10 seconds?  Did you have to rub it in?  Sigh.  I'm docking you 2 seconds of fun.

12 minutes ago, zil said:

Did you miss the part where I said the fun ended after 10 seconds?  Did you have to rub it in?  Sigh.  I'm docking you 2 seconds of fun.

Oh, I can kill fun in a lot less than two seconds.  Just ask my kids.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

22 minutes ago, zil said:

Pretty sure that idea was tabled until someone can agree on a name spelling that matched the pronunciation a little better. :rolleyes:

When my wife was a teenager, my then-future father-in-law, a Pittsburgher, drove around Utah for an hour or two, then finally stopped at a gas station in some town called Tool-lee and asked where Tuwila was.

I hope we get one in West Michigan. It's just that Michiganders are a stiff necked people. There isn't a very high LDS population here. 

It sounds like most of the midwest hasn't really taken to the church. I'm not sure why that is.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:09 PM, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Not enough members in the holy land to support a temple and the work within it. Besides, if they announced one it would probably be in Tel Aviv

That would kind of apply to India as well, but they are building one there.  In fact, from a financial viewpoint it's kind of financial suicide to build too many temples like they are in India.  Hopefully they have a surge in membership there.  It's like building it for 2.5 stakes of members, but with only 1 stake of members available in the area to actually support it.  Even if they do it as one of the temples that are only open occasionally when members can staff it, with that type of support it may only be open once or twice a month with the current membership levels.

We are all excited about new temples and such, but where is all this new money coming from?  Building and real estate is great, but eventually if you overextend, even in real estate, you go bankrupt.  I'm sure they have financial minds in the church figuring all these things out, but to a meager individual who is looking at all these temples going up without an equal number of members joining and becoming full tithe payers...I don't know how this is financially going to work out in the long run if they keep building temples at the rate they have been.

Probably just my ignorance.

Edited by JohnsonJones