Why Is There an Upset about Polytheism?

MaryJehanne

21 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

Step 2: Okay, now let's discuss the nature of this God you just came to.  👍

BACK TO TOPIC . . .

Nope; you don't get to go back to that until everyone is converted and understands the essentials of the Gospel. 

Hope you've got lots of time for China. 

There are probably more Christians in China (raw numbers) than there are in the United States. :bouncingclap:Ultimately, though, my point is that we are commanded to both make disciples and teach them. If I am not mistaken, there is an advanced class after investigators and new converts finish Gospel Principles. No?

On 9/28/2018 at 8:06 AM, Jane_Doe said:

(Just speaking my thoughts here, not excepting anyone to agree with with me) (Also note: LDS are staunch Arminians)

Arminianism v. Calvinism have radically different views of God, each one having a very different character than the other.  I feel MUCH estranged from a Calvinist talking about God than I do a Trinitarian.  Honestly, ... the Calvinist nature of God completely completely repels me.  I'm totally cool hanging out with Trinitarians.

Not to get too far off topic, but I am aware that Joseph Smith came down on the side of Arminian theology, and that the church says he did so under prophetic authority from God. So, in that sense, this is settled doctrine, for you. I agree. However, in their defense, the over-arching drive of Calvinists is to "let God be God." I can respect that.

On the other hand, and to bolster your intuition on this matter, there was a season, not too far past, when many Calvinists questioned whether we free-will types were true Christians. They wondered how we could so exalt humanity and so diminish God's authority and sovereignty, and still claim to be true believers in the Almighty. They came to accept us, but your sense that this debate over how God operates is very important--and may indeed be more relevant to our daily spiritual walk--rings true.