Feast of Tabernacles

Emmanuel Goldstein

20 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

What activities do Jewish people do for the Feast of Tabernacles?

I am a Gentile.... but I do build a Sukkot in the forested area near my home and I try to be under it at least for a little while daily during the Festival of Sukkot / Tabernacles.  

https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/4784/jewish/What-Is-Sukkot.htm

What Is Sukkot?

A Guide to The Jewish Holiday of Sukkot, The Feast of Tabernacles, and the Meanings Behind it

Edited by DennisTate
grammar

3 hours ago, DennisTate said:

I am a Gentile.... but I do build a Sukkot in the forested area near my home and I try to be under it at least for a little while daily during the Festival of Sukkot / Tabernacles.  

https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/4784/jewish/What-Is-Sukkot.htm

Hence the name, Feast of Tabernacles? Very cool tradition.

• 4 months later...
On 9/25/2018 at 5:10 PM, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Hence the name, Feast of Tabernacles? Very cool tradition.

It is a truly cool tradition!

My life has been positively changed by my feeble and rather incompetent attempts to observe some aspects of the Festival of Tabernacles / Sukkot.  

Funny story........ I lived in Quito, Ecuador for over a year.  Sukkot was coming up and I saw a bunch of palm tree leaves on the street as I was walking home after my job as a teacher.  I picked up the palm branches and took them home but I forgot to explain to my wife what I had done and why.  

She found them....... had no idea why those palm branches where there and she threw them out of the apartment....... I explained why I had dragged them home later on..... and it was a good laugh!

• 2 months later...

To remind us of the huts we lived in during our wandering in the desert. “On the first day you shall take the product of hadartrees, branches of palm trees, boughs of leafy trees, and willows of the brook" (Lev. 23:40), and "You shall live in booths seven days; all citizens in Israel shall live in booths, in order that future generations may know that I made the Israelite people live in booths when I brought them out of the land of Egypt" (Lev. 23:42–43).”

It is a pilgrimage holiday, one of the three holidays where going to the Temple in Jerusalem was required of all those able.

Finally, it marks the end of the harvest season in Israel, a typical agrarian society holiday. Lots of Jewish holidays are based on agrarian events.