SJWism is destroying Disney!

The Folk Prophet

I have been a big Disney fan. It seems like that must change. It's very disheartening...but I have to keep an eternal perspective. Disney is not important! But it sure feels important. Either way it's sad.

Why do I feel like my Disney fandom must change? Because social-justice-warrior-ism is corrupting every aspect of it bit by bit.

First we have Beauty and the Beast and that innocuous gay moment that secretly wasn't innocuous at all. Then the destruction of Star Wars. Then Black Panther. Then the new Jungle Cruise movie. And, finally, we land on Captain Marvel.

So the director of Beauty and the Beast announces a special "gay moment" in his movie. The gay moment, I'm told, was "innocuous" -- easy to miss -- not that big of a deal -- kids wouldn't notice -- etc. I can only speak to what I've been told because I haven't seen it, and I won't. Why won't I? Because all of that is wrong. It's not easy to miss (particularly when announce by the director), it is a big deal, kids do notice (my sister's daughter's first question after they saw it: Why were those two guys dancing together like they were married), etc. So not so innocuous after all. And, of course, the most harmful part, it was a toe-dip, testing the waters -- which, of course, is also wrong. They weren't testing the waters. They were creating "evidence" that gay can work so they can push the agenda further. And oh boy...will they.

Star Wars, of course, hasn't introduced gay characters.....yet.... but the franchise still stands as a shining example of Disney's SJWism taking the lead. Everything about the new Star Wars doesn't stink, of course. There are aspects that are great. But it's nothing to what it could be. Why is it nothing to what it could be? Because the top priority seems to be diversity and women's power instead of staying true to the property and telling great stories that people actually relate to and care about. Even the pretty-good of the new inject this nonsense. I'll grant, they could still stay true to the property AND tell great stories AND inject some level of SJWism...and that would, actually, be much more clever of them. Thank goodness they aren't that clever...yet. I have no doubt they'll get there. They have a pretty smart fella leading them. And I'm not talking about Bob Iger.

Then some more "toe-dipping" that wasn't actually toe-dipping. Black Panther! The "black" movie. Instead of standing on its own merits, in which case it rests firmly somewhere in the bottom end in the rankings, it's consistently rated as "the" best Marvel movie. Unlike Star Wars, they won the battle on that one, pulling the wool over everyone's eyes. "What a great movie." "So meaningful and powerful." Except...it wasn't. It was shallow and silly and didn't make much sense. And it had crappy CGI rhinos in it and supposedly extra-civilized people who expanded their lips out to over a foot in diameter with discs. Believable. Is the success of Black Panther a problem in and of itself, despite the fact it doesn't really deserve that success? Not really? But in the SJW's mind, who will be making future Marvel/Disney movies does it matter? Oh yeah. They'll take the success to mean everything it doesn't along with what it kind of does, and twist it all up to further their agendas. If only those agendas were really about equality and fairness. They are not. They're about division, power, immorality, control and oppression.

So now, surprise, surprise, we get Disney's Jungle Cruise with their first openly gay character! Yay. Didn't see that coming, now, did we? Will Jungle Cruise be hurt by this financially? Will it succeed or fail? Will they get the formula right for an actually great movie that has SJWism in it too and knock it out of the box-office park? Here's the thing. It doesn't matter. They continue down this path either way. If Jungle Cruise flops because everyone boycotted it due to the SJWism they wouldn't get the message. They don't with anything else. Take Solo. The fans were explicit. Take the SJW stuff out of Star Wars. We aren't interested in that and we aren't going to see your movies any more. They didn't just speak with their wallets, making Solo an actual honest-to-goodness flop, they explicitly said what they thought. How did Lucasfilm/Disney respond? They blamed the fans for being bigots and opined that shows with white male leads may not be able to succeed any longer.

Are you kidding me?

But fans are fickle. It wouldn't surprise me if Episode IX does quite well even leaving the SJW stuff in (it would be hard to take out at this point). But, once again, it doesn't matter. Even if E9 flops Disney won't stop. They won't get the message. They'll keep poking away at it until they've numbed everyone enough, or convinced them, or hidden it well enough, or what-have-you, and they'll keep shoving their agenda down our throats, and we'll keep buying it, and keep believing them more and more...because...you know.....movies...and emotion...and love...and crying...and swelling music...and....

So now comes Captain Marvel. The character was made female in the 70's feminist movement. So...kind already has that SJWism built into it. Will it be a hit? Probably. Why? It's a Marvel Movie. Will Disney assume that means the world's ready for more SJWism? Of course.

How long should we keep giving our money to these people who are actively trying to destroy us and our children? I don't know. They're pretty good at the subtlety. And even I...yep, ultra-conservative little-ol' me...have bought into an awful lot of it. Have since I was a kid and wrote off some sex scene or bad language in my favorite TV show as "not that big of a deal".

And I'm addicted to entertainment. That's sort of our world, right? Aren't most of us?

Satan's got us right where he wants us. He's ready to drive the sword of SJWism home -- and we're not even fighting back. We just keep paying into the devil's kingdom. Here's your taxes sir. Now please corrupt my soul further. Thank you sir. May I have another?

Well, I'm looking forward to the animatronic gay pirates kissing each other at Disneyland someday. Aren't you?

24 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Star Wars, of course, hasn't introduced gay characters.....yet....

[Shows TFP some scenes from Solo and points out some unfortunate realities about Lando's open pansexuality and the love triangle with L3-37 and Han.]

Sorry if I ruined it for ya, buddy.  Maybe you're just unhappy about same-sex things?  Or did Disney just do it so well, that they managed to hide everything from you even though there it was on the screen for anyone with eyes to see?

image.png.3b4778a545a5cc70cacdcf91a2e8713d.png

Edited by NeuroTypical

And to be honest, Disney lost it's luster for me back in 1995 with Pocahontas.  Did you see the blatant historical revisionism in that movie?  We all know that Pocahontas' tribe did all sorts of warlike slave-taking, right?  I mean, I made a big scene at the ticket line, I thought everyone was listening...

Edited by NeuroTypical

5 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

[Shows TFP some scenes from Solo and points out some unfortunate realities about Lando's open pansexuality and the love triangle with L3-37 and Han.]

Sorry if I ruined it for ya, buddy.  Maybe you're just unhappy about same-sex things?  Or did Disney just do it so well, that they managed to hide everything from you even though there it was on the screen for anyone with eyes to see?

image.png.3b4778a545a5cc70cacdcf91a2e8713d.png

[Takes it back...sort of]

I only saw Solo once and wasn't paying too close attention.

2 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

And to be honest, Disney lost it's luster for me back in 1995 with Pocahontas.  Did you see the blatant historical revisionism in that movie?  We all know that Pocahontas' tribe did all sorts of warlike slave-taking, right?  I mean, I made a big scene at the ticket line, I thought everyone was listening...

A one off is one thing. Yes...I despise Pocahontas. But it wasn't enough to really disenchant me. Frozen, frankly, isn't much better with its messaging, but didn't seem to be a pattern, per se, either. The Little Mermaid's teenage-girls-should-want-MORE message wasn't particularly inspiring either.

Hollywood has been Hollywood for some time now.

But the same messaging in the 80s or 90s doesn't have the same punch as it does now in today's culture. Which may have made it more insidious back then, frankly. There is no doubt in my mind that today is a product of yesteryear. Blasted hippies! It's all the Beatles' fault.

1 minute ago, NeuroTypical said:

True, it has snuck into everything (obviously somewhat subtly) and I think there are too many other variables to directly relate the movies' success to the "SJWism." That being said, I do agree with @The Folk Prophet that the entertainment industry is one of Satan's greatest weapons, as he makes wrong things seem "cool" or normal and evil things seem trivial. I do think we need to be increasingly aware of how what we are putting in affects us because what we put in goes straight to our heart and comes back out through our actions. (I'm not necessarily talking about feminism, but things like homosexuality, sorcery, and the like.)

David set the ultimate example when he said, " I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me"  (Psalm 101:3).

(Wish I could say I follow this perfectly, but it's definitely something to work on :) )

44 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

But fans are fickle. It wouldn't surprise me if Episode IX does quite well even leaving the SJW stuff in

It won't.  Star Wars fans are not just upset about the SJWism.  They're massively upset with the way the original characters and concept were treated just to promote SJWism.  And there's no saving Star Wars to bring back those original characters no matter what JJ Abrams does.

Solo did not tank because of Solo.  Solo tanked because of TLJ and the way Star Wars folks like Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson called the fans bigots for not liking it.  It put more salt in the wound when they promoted Lando as pansexual.  So it has become a War... Episode 9 is now billed Revenge of the Fandom.  So, let's see who wins.

Captain Marvel is probably going to tank.  Why?  Because of this --v-- .  Superhero movies are still getting most of their money from men.  You don't get to call the lot of them as predators and get away with it.

sub-buzz-15530-1507408840-1.png?downsize

Edited by anatess2

1 minute ago, Larry Cotrell said:

I think there are too many other variables to directly relate the movies' success to the "SJWism."

If you mean Solo, I agree. It was a long shot replacing such an iconic character any way you cut it. It also had the director problems/changes which is never a good sign. That being said, based on one seeing, I think it's the best thing they've done in the new movies...by far. (I know some will say Rogue One...but Rogue One was a well made show with poorly developed characters that all die. I cannot not get a bit bored in it.)

I think without the SJW stuff from The Last Jedi Solo might have done quite well. I think if you flipped Solo and Rogue One in the order of release they might flip in their box office takes.

Hard to say.

5 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

If you mean Solo, I agree. It was a long shot replacing such an iconic character any way you cut it. It also had the director problems/changes which is never a good sign. That being said, based on one seeing, I think it's the best thing they've done in the new movies...by far. (I know some will say Rogue One...but Rogue One was a well made show with poorly developed characters that all die. I cannot not get a bit bored in it.)

I think without the SJW stuff from The Last Jedi Solo might have done quite well. I think if you flipped Solo and Rogue One in the order of release they might flip in their box office takes.

Hard to say.

If you got some time and enough interest, check out Ivan Ortega's channel.  He is doing a re-edit of TLJ.  The changes he made encapsulates what is wrong with TLJ and Star Wars in general.  And it's not just SJWism although that's the reason the war started.  After all, a lot of fans thought the prequels were bad too but it didn't cause a war.

Edited by anatess2

What, no hate for Happy Feet?  Mumble born different?  And the elders are so caught up in orthodox adherence they label him a threat?  And their deity the Great 'Guin was more of a "the power of all of us"-sort of being than an actual deity?

2006.  Where have all you people been for the last two decades?

Darn. I should have brought up Indiana Jones and Spielberg's comment that she should be female in the next iteration.

How can these people be so stupid? The water has been spiked with goofy-juice in Movie-town.

He honest-to-goodness literally said “We’d have to change the name from Jones to Joan."

ARE YOU DAFT?! JONES IS THE LAST NAME! Not to mention Indiana is a perfectly reasonable female name. But most importantly...FANS OF INDIANA JONES DON'T WANT A FEMALE!!!!

NO WONDER CRYSTAL SKULL TANKED!?!

Sorry...getting worked up... Indiana Jones is beloved to me. Indiana Joan is NOT!

5 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Darn. I should have brought up Indiana Jones and Spielberg's comment that she should be female in the next iteration.

How can these people be so stupid? The water has been spiked with goofy-juice in Movie-town.

He honest-to-goodness literally said “We’d have to change the name from Jones to Joan."

ARE YOU DAFT?! JONES IS THE LAST NAME! Not to mention Indiana is a perfectly reasonable female name. But most importantly...FANS OF INDIANA JONES DON'T WANT A FEMALE!!!!

NO WONDER CRYSTAL SKULL TANKED!?!

Sorry...getting worked up... Indiana Jones is beloved to me. Indiana Joan is NOT!

And black James Bond and Superman... 

I tell ya, they call us racists/sexists when they're the racist/sexist ones.  They can't write good Black/Female characters so they have to swipe White/male ones?  

Edited by anatess2

3 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

And black James Bond 

I'd be fine with that...except, of course the whole fuel it would throw on the fire.

3 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

and Superman... 

Just when Henry Cavill was learning how to act too.

Eh, I'm not too worried about Captain Marvel. There's been a zillion Captain Marvels over the century. Though I'm more amused that DC is responding with the Shazam! movie (the original Captain Marvel who lost his name when apparently the comic book companies started arguing for rights.)

I'll probably see the Captain Marvel movie because I happen to go see Marvel movies, but I'm not outright wild for it.

Husband has oft complained about the new Star Wars characters. He says he would be absolutely fine if the SJWish characters felt more natural or even random (we picked a female protagonist because no other reason than we felt like it, no more and no less) but he can't shake the feeling it's preachy.

Black Panther... again, I tend to like on a basic level Marvel movies (except Thor 2... that was so forgettable I literally will mention I have seen most Marvel films except Thor 2 and probably ought to see that one, wait, I actually did see it... it cannot reside in my memory for some reason). We never saw it in theatres, but Husband and I figured, when it came to Amazon, we should go ahead and buy it because we tend to trust Marvel films and worst case scenario we'd come out even after the cost of seeing it at the theatre. We weren't disappointed, per say, but it wasn't what everyone said it would be. I really do agree it rested more on the PoC concept than story. And, sure, I appreciate why that's exciting, but it doesn't necessarily mean a great film.

Edited by Backroads

34 minutes ago, Backroads said:

it rested more on the PoC concept than story. And, sure, I appreciate why that's exciting

Only exciting if one has a SJW memory for things and conveniently forgets about Blade, Catwoman, etc. 

The writing is terrible because the ideology of the writers is terrible. 

They have no idea how to write an epic storyline because they don't understand what reverence is.  

We all all love watching the protagonist get beaten until they reach deep within themselves to find that inner strength, that courageous, honest, heartfelt desire to fight for something larger than their own selves. 

But when you fully remove religion from someone's ideology, there is no such thing as reverence towards anything else. 

We are then left with stoner comedy and neat-o special effects. 

Personally, I love being able to watch a movie without worrying about whether Hollywood is trying to push some agenda by casting characters that *gasp* fall outside of traditional societal norms. News flash: your niece is probably going to meet an actual gay person/couple one day, if she hasn't already. She'll probably meet several throughout her lifetime. Why pretend that they don't exist? Why expect Hollywood to pretend they don't exist? If making a cast ethnically and otherwise diverse (you know, like the society that these movies are supposed to portray) is "SJWism" then maybe you need to spend more time outside of your bubble. You don't need to morally approve of all lifestyles, but you should at least acknowledge that those lifestyles are well-established in our society and that it would be silly for filmmakers to ignore that. 

Star Wars - Let's face it, SW characters have been horribly written and developed since before I was born. The story itself was not, which is why it's the biggest movie franchise in the history of movie franchises. That changed under Disney. Suddenly we have new writers writing new storylines featuring new characters, all with mixed success. Episode VII was pretty solid. Rogue One is the best film in the franchise. Episode VIII was disappointing. Solo was very enjoyable, and I feel like its lackluster performance at the box office was undeserved. Whatever shortcomings the franchise has had over the years have little to do with casting (except Hayden Christensen, who's basically a male Kristen Stewart) and more with bad writing/directing. The fact that it has SJW casting (whatever that means) is just an excuse made by people who can't accept that, in general, SW isn't well written. We forgave it in the original trilogy because we loved the story. Heck, we even came to love the characters, poorly developed as they were. But we just couldn't forgive those same faults in newer films with new characters and storylines. And that's okay. What's not okay is blaming the decline of a franchise on diversity. Diversity in casting has been long overdue in Hollywood, but unfortunately casting alone doesn't make a great movie. You can have a film loaded with straight white men and it'll be an absolute flop if it isn't properly written and executed. 

Marvel - I think we can meet somewhere in the middle on Black Panther. Matters of race aside, it wasn't a standout in the MCU collection. I thought it was pretty good overall, but not their best effort. However, I can appreciate the importance of having a black superhero/king with black female foot soldiers who hail from a black culture that also happens to be the most advanced on Earth. It's extremely rare that the black community has a chance to see itself elevated in such a way by a Hollywood production. It was a racially important film. I can appreciate that, even if I prefer other MCU movies more.

James Bond - Word on the street is that Idris Elba is the frontrunner to be the next 007. To me, the story is less about Bond being black and more about IDRIS FREAKING ELBA being Bond. He doesn't need that role, that role needs him. If it happens, it might be the highest-grossing Bond movie ever. Because Elba is an absolute beast, but he's also a gentleman. If the fact that he's black distracts you from the fact that he may be more perfect for the role than anyone else who's ever played it, then maybe you should reevaluate your priorities. 

Maybe I am just blinded by my love for Marvel and a StarWars, but I have never been bothered by the SJW “take over”. With Particularly Black Panther, the idea that the plot was motivated by SJW motives crossed my mind, but didn’t bother me because it was such a great movie.

I never saw SOLO, but all the other StarWars movies I thought were absolutely incredible (except that casino scene with the animals and... well every scene with Jade (that is her name right???)).

There definitely was a Golden Era of movies that were free of political motives. That golden era disnt last as long as some might think. I will admittedly say that the Star Wars original trilogy was not the best StarWars movies, but I digress, that debate does not belong here.

What I’m really curious about is this. The SJW has spread their plague over multiple hobbies and are prying their way into many places they don’t belong. But one place they aren’t finding success in is the geek and video game world. I am a bit of a gamer and a geek, and though I am not big enough into to be apart of the battling, the video game geek world does not put up with SJW crap.

Battle Field V is coming out soon and one of the main Characters is a disabled ginger woman that leads a battalion in WWII. The video game world ate them apart, then one of the people in charge Got mad and told everyone if they didn’t like it, don’t buy it... so he got fired. A similar thing happened with another lesser known game called Rome Total War 2 where female General were introduce into the Rome era warfare. 

I wonder if the comic geeks will put up with this SJW stuff. The CW make fantastic DC comic tv series but they are riddled with SJW garbage, and the newest one coming out is a batwoman tv show where batwoman is openly lesbian. No uproar from that yet.

13 minutes ago, Godless said:

Personally, I love being able to watch a movie without worrying about whether Hollywood is trying to push some agenda by casting characters that *gasp* fall outside of traditional societal norms. News flash: your niece is probably going to meet an actual gay person/couple one day, if she hasn't already. She'll probably meet several throughout her lifetime. Why pretend that they don't exist? Why expect Hollywood to pretend they don't exist? If making a cast ethnically and otherwise diverse (you know, like the society that these movies are supposed to portray) is "SJWism" then maybe you need to spend more time outside of your bubble. You don't need to morally approve of all lifestyles, but you should at least acknowledge that those lifestyles are well-established in our society and that it would be silly for filmmakers to ignore that. 

Star Wars - Let's face it, SW characters have been horribly written and developed since before I was born. The story itself was not, which is why it's the biggest movie franchise in the history of movie franchises. That changed under Disney. Suddenly we have new writers writing new storylines featuring new characters, all with mixed success. Episode VII was pretty solid. Rogue One is the best film in the franchise. Episode VIII was disappointing. Solo was very enjoyable, and I feel like its lackluster performance at the box office was undeserved. Whatever shortcomings the franchise has had over the years have little to do with casting (except Hayden Christensen, who's basically a male Kristen Stewart) and more with bad writing/directing. The fact that it has SJW casting (whatever that means) is just an excuse made by people who can't accept that, in general, SW isn't well written. We forgave it in the original trilogy because we loved the story. Heck, we even came to love the characters, poorly developed as they were. But we just couldn't forgive those same faults in newer films with new characters and storylines. And that's okay. What's not okay is blaming the decline of a franchise on diversity. Diversity in casting has been long overdue in Hollywood, but unfortunately casting alone doesn't make a great movie. You can have a film loaded with straight white men and it'll be an absolute flop if it isn't properly written and executed. 

Marvel - I think we can meet somewhere in the middle on Black Panther. Matters of race aside, it wasn't a standout in the MCU collection. I thought it was pretty good overall, but not their best effort. However, I can appreciate the importance of having a black superhero/king with black female foot soldiers who hail from a black culture that also happens to be the most advanced on Earth. It's extremely rare that the black community has a chance to see itself elevated in such a way by a Hollywood production. It was a racially important film. I can appreciate that, even if I prefer other MCU movies more.

James Bond - Word on the street is that Idris Elba is the frontrunner to be the next 007. To me, the story is less about Bond being black and more about IDRIS FREAKING ELBA being Bond. He doesn't need that role, that role needs him. If it happens, it might be the highest-grossing Bond movie ever. Because Elba is an absolute beast, but he's also a gentleman. If the fact that he's black distracts you from the fact that he may be more perfect for the role than anyone else who's ever played it, then maybe you should reevaluate your priorities. 

Ah yes. The whatever horrible message they put in movies you should be okay with it and be okay with your kids exposed to it because that's real life approach. Convincing. 

2 hours ago, Godless said:

Whatever shortcomings the franchise has had over the years have little to do with casting (except Hayden Christensen, who's basically a male Kristen Stewart) and more with bad writing/directing. The fact that it has SJW casting (whatever that means) is just an excuse made by people who can't accept that, in general, SW isn't well written. We forgave it in the original trilogy because we loved the story. Heck, we even came to love the characters, poorly developed as they were. But we just couldn't forgive those same faults in newer films with new characters and storylines. And that's okay. What's not okay is blaming the decline of a franchise on diversity. Diversity in casting has been long overdue in Hollywood, but unfortunately casting alone doesn't make a great movie. You can have a film loaded with straight white men and it'll be an absolute flop if it isn't properly written and executed. 

First off - Hayden is an AMAZING ACTOR.  He delivered bad lines.  That’s not his fault.  Anakin/Vader was amazingly nuanced in his portrayal of the complexity of the character.  There’s a YouTube video showcasing these nuances and I’ll edit this post to include it when I find the thing.  Hayden in Life of a House is another one of those special performances.  To equate him to Kristen Stewart is ignorant.

The rest of your spiel above comes straight from the mouths of Disney-Star Wars execs like Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson, et al.  It displays a complete failure to understand the issue.  Star Wars fans critiquing Star Wars movies is a cultural tradition in the fandom.  OT fans vs Prequel fans, Rebel fans vs Empire fans, Movie Purist fans vs EU fans, Jake Lloyd-Anakin haters vs defenders, etc etc etc.  What caused the fandom war against Disney is the unity of these rabid fans in their dislike of The Last Jedi, in the same vein as their unity in their dislike of Jarjar Binks.  But instead of understanding Why (the destruction of key Star Wars mythology, the mis characterization of Luke and Leia Skywalker, the shallowness of Rey, etc.), the Disney execs instead did what you just did in your spiel above - attacked the fans accusing them of sexism and bigotry because these cis white males can’t accept that the lead character is female.   HELLO... LEIA IS ABOUT AS ICONIC FEMALE AS YOU CAN GET and the fandom loves her with a passion!

That’s where the toxic SJW comes in... when Kathleen Kennedy and her staff goes to comic-con and wears “The Force is Female” shirts and gets rejected by the fandom it is not because the fandom is anti-female - it’s because the head honcho of Star Wars can’t be bothered to understand the Force.

This is not about diversity.This is about toxic SJWs invading the Star Wars universe.

It's extremely rare that the black community has a chance to see itself elevated in such a way by a Hollywood production.  It was a racially important film. 

The days of Cowboys vs Indians and White guys vs Black Thugs has been out of style for a long while.  Coming to America and Fresh Prince of Bel-Air were waaaaay back in the 80’s!  To not notice the amount of iconic black movies is pretty bad.

I love Idris Elba.  James Bond doesn’t need Elba.  That’s an insult to Elba.  Elba is too awesome to play a role like a little kid wearing mommy’s shoes - not written for him.   Elba deserves his own franchise, his own iconic character that fits him.  He has the perfect grace and elegance to play Drizzt.  That’s one black character that needs a movie franchise.

Edited by anatess2

My 2c.

I can't stand by and watch Black Panther slandered like this. I thought it was pretty epic as Marvel movies go. I thought Killmonger was certainly one of the more interesting villains that Marvel has produced so far.

Why would there need to be an SJW spin on this though? Black Panther has been in Marvel comics since forever, and it makes sense that the majority of the cast would be black since... well.. Africa? So why single it out?

It's not an SJW move, it's just a good action movie.