SJWism is destroying Disney!

The Folk Prophet

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, pam said:

To be honest, I would never really have noticed anything in Beauty and the Beast had not so many Mormons made such a big deal about it before it came out.  Even after seeing it I still really didn't see much of anything to call it a gay scene.  More like a bromance to me.  Not going to say that it was maybe a little bit more than that but I don't think it was anywhere as bad as people were making it out to be.

100% correct. Usually, throwing a temper tantrum and protesting gives MORE attention to what you apparently are trying to stop. Look at what the right is trying to do to Nike right now. (oh yeah-Nike isn't strugglinghttps://www.vox.com/2018/9/24/17895704/nike-colin-kaepernick-boycott-6-billion)

And given that the movie made over 300 million dollars, those protests were wildly successful. 

Edited by MormonGator

@The Folk Prophet is on to something but I think has taken a bit of a tangent - but not so far to say he is off base.

For anyone that reads the works of Joseph Googles (Hitler's propaganda minister and considered one of the great brain washing genius of our time).   Wrote in essence that the best and most effective way to change a person's mind and convince them that they have always believed something is through entertainment.  Controlling entertainment will lead to control of the minds of the next generation.  He also said that anything a person will laugh at they will eventually embrace for themselves. 

In short we will become what we are entertained by.  One character that concerns me is what we consider the hero.  This is someone that is violent but just against "bad" guys.  The question that we must be concerned about - especially in the current political climate - who or what is a bad guy.  More and more it is becoming anyone in or supportive of the other political party.  Many translate this into anyone that disagrees with their opinion. 

The Traveler

2 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

100% correct. Usually, throwing a temper tantrum and protesting gives MORE attention to what you apparently are trying to stop. Look at what the right is trying to do to Nike right now. 

And given that the movie made over 300 million dollars, those protests were wildly successful. 

Any idea how many times I've danced with women at parties and such? :)

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, pam said:

I've also danced with many women who were not my wife or girlfriends at weddings, proms, etc. Never with a guy though, in fairness. 

You raise a good point. Sometimes, if you don't like something or don't approve of it, it's best to keep quiet and move on. 

Edited by MormonGator

2 minutes ago, pam said:

In the Pleistocene era when I was single - ladies dancing with each other was quite common especially for wall flowers.  But it was forbidden for guys to dance in public with another guy - period.

The Traveler

Guest MormonGator

Don't get me wrong, some protests are a good thing. The civil rights protests of the 50's/60's, Tiananmen square. But many times they are just about trying to gain some kind of false sense of control over an uncontrollable situation or worse, trying to show yourself and others how righteous you think you are. 

1 minute ago, Traveler said:

In the Pleistocene era when I was single - ladies dancing with each other was quite common especially for wall flowers.  But it was forbidden for guys to dance in public with another guy - period.

The Traveler

Do you lose your man card if you do?  :)

14 minutes ago, pam said:

To be honest, I would never really have noticed anything in Beauty and the Beast had not so many Mormons made such a big deal about it before it came out.  Even after seeing it I still really didn't see much of anything to call it a gay scene.  More like a bromance to me.  Not going to say that it was maybe a little bit more than that but I don't think it was anywhere as bad as people were making it out to be.

This is another one of those... the movie is not the problem.  How the movie was promoted - in this case, by the actor himself - is the problem.  It wasn't that the "Mormons made such a big deal about it".  The promoters made sure it was made into a big deal and that everybody understands that's what they're trying to show.

This is the same thing with Lando in Solo.  

Just now, anatess2 said:

This is another one of those... the movie is not the problem.  How the movie was promoted - in this case, by the actor himself - is the problem.  It wasn't that the "Mormons made such a big deal about it".  The promoters made sure it was made into a big deal and that everybody understands that's what they're trying to show.

This is the same thing with Lando in Solo.  

Personally I never saw anything put out by the actors.  All I knew of the movie before seeing it was what all of the Mormons were saying about in on social media and how we should all boycott it.

Guest MormonGator
Just now, pam said:

Personally I never saw anything put out by the actors.  All I knew of the movie before seeing it was what all of the Mormons were saying about in on social media and how we should all boycott it.

It wasn't just Mormons, in fairness. A ton of Christians felt the same way. 

Just now, Vort said:

In all honesty, I'm not convinced this is far from the truth.

Did you know that Kerouac (who arguably created beatniks, which led to hippies) hated both hippies and beatniks? 

8 minutes ago, pam said:

Do you lose your man card if you do?  :)

Absolutely - and it is really hard to get back after a stunt like that.  Not that I would know - just to have observed.  😨

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

On 9/25/2018 at 2:45 PM, anatess2 said:

And black James Bond

I have no problem with a black James Bond. But that will further the racist stereotype of the hypersexual black man looking for the nearest warm hole. Bond's problem is not that he's white, or black, or any other color. Bond's problem is that he's a repulsive character.

In principle, I have no problem with a black Superman. Actually, that could be very interesting. But making Superman black would be a stunt for publicity and political correctness, and that alone would insure that I would never waste my time or money with it.

15 minutes ago, pam said:

You probably didn't pay attention.  Boycotts doesn't just come around for no reason - especially when you haven't seen the movie.  Boycotts occur as a reaction to something.  In Beauty and the Beast - it's the promotional interviews for it.

JK Rowling came out and told everybody Dumbledore has a romantic relationship with Grindelwald.  The promoters of Fantastic Beast 2 promoted the new trailer for Fantastic Beast 2 as "teasing a gay moment" with Dumbledore (Jude Law in the film).  I watched the trailer and if the promoters didn't say anything, I wouldn't have noticed.  They made sure we noticed.

This is what gets me - Harry Potter is for young audiences.  Who you want to have sex with has no place in these movies especially with Dumbledore whose role is limited to being a great wizard and a schoolmaster.  But they have to force it down our throats.  So then we spend the money to watch the movie because "the movie is so mild, we don't notice", it makes good profit, and the promoters go... "see, see, see... people love movies with gay moments!"  And so they paint the people who vocally oppose the gay moments as bigots.

Edited by anatess2

On 9/25/2018 at 2:50 PM, NeuroTypical said:

Not sure it was the SJW by themselves.  All the geeks and nerds have had a hand in it.  If you want to blame something, blame economic advances that give us so all dang much spare time in which to be bored and look for new ways to entertain ourselves.  

5144b8e337c131d49e582e7f950065b2.jpg

That was well worth the five minutes of looking over my glasses to read.

3 minutes ago, Traveler said:
8 minutes ago, Vort said:

In all honesty, I'm not convinced this is far from the truth.

Except that the hippy movement was well underway when the Beatles showed up on the seen. 

Not the literal wording, but the underlying idea of the celebration of youthful rebellion and "free love" represented by '60s popular rock music. Is it coincidence that the culture of the United States of America started going to hell at the same time I was born?

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, Vort said:

Not the literal wording, but the underlying idea of the celebration of youthful rebellion and "free love" represented by '60s popular rock music. Is it coincidence that the culture of the United States of America started going to hell at the same time I was born?

@Vort, before you grab your cane and talk about how bad things are, you are aware that every single generation from the dawn of time thought that culture was going downhill and that times were so much better in the past, right? 

Edited by MormonGator

23 hours ago, Backroads said:

Black Panther... again, I tend to like on a basic level Marvel movies (except Thor 2... that was so forgettable I literally will mention I have seen most Marvel films except Thor 2 and probably ought to see that one, wait, I actually did see it... it cannot reside in my memory for some reason). We never saw it in theatres, but Husband and I figured, when it came to Amazon, we should go ahead and buy it because we tend to trust Marvel films and worst case scenario we'd come out even after the cost of seeing it at the theatre. We weren't disappointed, per say, but it wasn't what everyone said it would be. I really do agree it rested more on the PoC concept than story. And, sure, I appreciate why that's exciting, but it doesn't necessarily mean a great film.

Most overrated film evar. Paint-by-numbers writing. Wink-wink stick-it-to-whitey racist dialogue. Boring plot. The most interesting, and frankly in some ways the most sympathetic, character was the bad guy. The directing was uninspired, though I'm not sure how such a disaster of a script could have been saved. The acting was actually pretty good, if only the characters had been sympathetic enough to care about.

Stupid, stupid, stupid movie. I resent having paid a dollar to see that mess. I wonder that the "black sector" that praised the movie soooooooo heavily didn't instead complain that Marvel's first dedicated "black move" was such a useless turkey.

3 minutes ago, Vort said:

Most overrated film evar. Paint-by-numbers writing. Wink-wink stick-it-to-whitey racist dialogue. Boring plot. The most interesting, and frankly in some ways the most sympathetic, character was the bad guy. The directing was uninspired, though I'm not sure how such a disaster of a script could have been saved. The acting was actually pretty good, if only the characters had been sympathetic enough to care about.

Stupid, stupid, stupid movie. I resent having paid a dollar to see that mess. I wonder that the "black sector" that praised the movie soooooooo heavily didn't instead complain that Marvel's first dedicated "black move" was such a useless turkey.

I think I mentioned it here that by the end of the movie I was rooting for a redemption arc for the bad guy so he can become the Black Panther.

P.S.  Rumor is that same actor is gonna be Superman.

Edited by anatess2

3 hours ago, Fether said:

I think George Lucas knew less about the force than anyone else ;)

Mitochondria. The Force is all about mitochondria. (Which are inherited solely and completely from the mother, so one would think the father's Force sensitivity would be irrelevant...)

10 minutes ago, Vort said:

Mitochondria. The Force is all about mitochondria. (Which are inherited solely and completely from the mother, so one would think the father's Force sensitivity would be irrelevant...)

Midichlorian is the male-line version of mitochondria.