Does Christian marriage work to enter the highest level of the celestial kingdom

Jeries

10 minutes ago, Jeries said:

Does Christian marriage work to enter the highest level of the celestial kingdom. Sorry if there is a mistake in English. English is not my first language. 

It’s a great starting point, but not enough in and of itself.  See D&C 131:1-4.

1 minute ago, Jeries said:

But does the power of priesthood work in the Christian marriage. 

If I understand you correctly:  a marriage solemnized by a minister not a member of the LDS faith, will not benefit from the power of the Aaronic or Melchizedek priesthoods.  However, the Lord still honors the couple’s willingness to make a covenant with each other.  On that basis the couple’s union is not seen as being an act of fornication.  But, the couple will still need to seek a temple sealing if they want to qualify for the blessings of eternal marriage and exaltation. 

1 minute ago, Just_A_Guy said:

If I understand you correctly:  a marriage solemnized by a minister not a member of the LDS faith, will not benefit from the power of the Aaronic or Melchizedek priesthoods.  However, the Lord still honors the couple’s willingness to make a covenant with each other.  On that basis the couple’s union is not seen as being an act of fornication.  But, the couple will still need to seek a temple sealing if they want to qualify for the blessings of eternal marriage and exaltation. 

Thank you very much. 

29 minutes ago, Jeries said:

Does Christian marriage work to enter the highest level of the celestial kingdom. Sorry if there is a mistake in English. English is not my first language. 

Depends on what you consider a Christian Marriage.  Most Christian Marriages are constrained exactly as whatever sect of Christianity they are a part of.  The over-riding belief of most Christian religions is that marriage is only until death.  Hence many vows say until death do we part.  These marriages are ONLY until death.  Hence, they in and of themselves will not allow one to enter into the Highest Level of the Celestial Kingdom.  We believe that to do so, one must be married.  If the marriage ends at death, by default, they are no longer married in the afterlife.  They can enter the Celestial Kingdom, but not the highest degree thereof.  We believe that is reserved only for those who are married in the afterlife.

There are some Christian marriages that extend into eternity.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a church that has been given the authority and keys to unite a man and a woman together in marriage.  Only the Lord can approve such a marriage and it needs to be done under his authority and in a way that he approves.  We, in the Church feel this is done in a Temple where we believe they couple can be sealed in marriage together for all time and eternity.  Thus, the vow is NOT until death do we part, but for time and all eternity (thus being in the afterlife as well).

We also have a belief that those who are part of marriages that are until death, or that are only temporal and only for this life can still have their marriage last.  This needs to be done in this life.  This is one reason why we do these strange things people hear about which are ordinances for the dead.  We take the names of relatives that had such marriages as I mentioned at first (until death or that were married without the priesthood authority) to the temple and act in proxy for them.  It is the same ordinance, but we do it with names in regards to the dead.   We believe that, if the couple so desires in the afterlife, and chooses to accept this ordinance, that it is possible that they can have their marriage continue.

However, it needs to be done in mortality.  In heaven we do not believe people are given in marriage.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is one of the few churches that believe in marriage in the afterlife.  A study of most other Christian religions will reveal that they do not believe this in their articles, and hence will ONLY marry people till death do they part.  AS this is how they practice, this is how their marriages are.  They are temporal constructs.  However, our church is an oddity in that we believe not only do we exercise the Lord's authority to marry individuals for eternity, but that we can also do this in our temples to enable those who did not have this opportunity but wish to have it, be able to choose to have this type of marriage.

Hope that answers the question.

5 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

Depends on what you consider a Christian Marriage.  Most Christian Marriages are constrained exactly as whatever sect of Christianity they are a part of.  The over-riding belief of most Christian religions is that marriage is only until death.  Hence many vows say until death do we part.  These marriages are ONLY until death.  Hence, they in and of themselves will not allow one to enter into the Highest Level of the Celestial Kingdom.  We believe that to do so, one must be married.  If the marriage ends at death, by default, they are no longer married in the afterlife.  They can enter the Celestial Kingdom, but not the highest degree thereof.  We believe that is reserved only for those who are married in the afterlife.

There are some Christian marriages that extend into eternity.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a church that has been given the authority and keys to unite a man and a woman together in marriage.  Only the Lord can approve such a marriage and it needs to be done under his authority and in a way that he approves.  We, in the Church feel this is done in a Temple where we believe they couple can be sealed in marriage together for all time and eternity.  Thus, the vow is NOT until death do we part, but for time and all eternity (thus being in the afterlife as well).

We also have a belief that those who are part of marriages that are until death, or that are only temporal and only for this life can still have their marriage last.  This needs to be done in this life.  This is one reason why we do these strange things people hear about which are ordinances for the dead.  We take the names of relatives that had such marriages as I mentioned at first (until death or that were married without the priesthood authority) to the temple and act in proxy for them.  It is the same ordinance, but we do it with names in regards to the dead.   We believe that, if the couple so desires in the afterlife, and chooses to accept this ordinance, that it is possible that they can have their marriage continue.

However, it needs to be done in mortality.  In heaven we do not believe people are given in marriage.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is one of the few churches that believe in marriage in the afterlife.  A study of most other Christian religions will reveal that they do not believe this in their articles, and hence will ONLY marry people till death do they part.  AS this is how they practice, this is how their marriages are.  They are temporal constructs.  However, our church is an oddity in that we believe not only do we exercise the Lord's authority to marry individuals for eternity, but that we can also do this in our temples to enable those who did not have this opportunity but wish to have it, be able to choose to have this type of marriage.

Hope that answers the question.

It answers. 

Another HUGE things to mention:

ANY marriage between a man and human who respect each other and include God in their relationship is not just a 'good' thing, it's a GREAT thing approved of God.

Speaking from the LDS perspective, when such a couple further invite God into their union by making a promise with Him and further committing themselves to Him, that allows Him to further bless that now GODLY union.  So that it's not just for this mortal life (which is the best man can do), but for eternity (which is the best God can do).  

Speaking personally, I myself am an LDS lady married to a non-denominational dude.  My husband is the love of my life, and we have a GREAT marriage.  I would do believe that he will one day want God to participate more in our life/marriage, but he's not there right this second.  Still, I love him 100%.  We are completely 100% welcomed in the LDS community.

1 minute ago, Jane_Doe said:

Another HUGE things to mention:

ANY marriage between a man and human who respect each other and include God in their relationship is not just a 'good' thing, it's a GREAT thing approved of God.

Speaking from the LDS perspective, when such a couple further invite God into their union by making a promise with Him and further committing themselves to Him, that allows Him to further bless that now GODLY union.  So that it's not just for this mortal life (which is the best man can do), but for eternity (which is the best God can do).  

Speaking personally, I myself am an LDS lady married to a non-denominational dude.  My husband is the love of my life, and we have a GREAT marriage.  I would do believe that he will one day want God to participate more in our life/marriage, but he's not there right this second.  Still, I love him 100%.  We are completely 100% welcomed in the LDS community.

Thanks for this wonderful speech. 

5 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

I hope it helps.  I don't want you to walk away with the idea that LDS folks are like "eww" to 'other' marriages.  No no-- marriage GREAT thing, something to be celebrated completely.  

I know but I'm thinking right now about the afterlife not how great marriage is. 

Edited by Jeries

Just now, Jeries said:

I know but I'm thinking right now about the afterlife not how great the marriage is. 

That helps clarify.

(Explaining LDS beliefs here, respecting other folks may believe differently)      

A "covenant" is a promise people make with the Lord.  They commit themselves more fully to Him, and hence allow Him to bless them more.  For example, baptism: a person covenants with Christ to take His name upon themselves, and He makes them His and takes away their sins.   For this covenant to happen there's a few things that got to happen:

1) the person has to want to come closer to Christ this way.

2) Christ has to want to come closer to the person this way (which happens 100% of the time).  

3) You got to actually go and make the covenant (like actually be baptized) and it needs to be officiated by a person holding His priesthood.  And yes, we do consider the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to be where His priesthood is.  

Now, speaking about a marriage sealing specifically: these three things still apply.  Both the husband and wife need to want to be together with Christ forever.  And you do actually have to go and make that promise with the Lord, officiated by one of His priests. 

We're judged on what we know. A person sealed in the Temple may not make it if they don't keep the covenants. Everyone will have an opportunity so the non member may end up there. I can not say. Many members may not make it based on obedience. A prophet said don't be surprised if Billy Graham is there. It's about knowledge and obedience.

4 hours ago, Jeries said:

Marriage is a covenant which often includes G-d.  A good "Christian" marriage is also a covenant and is intended to be with G-d but as such it is a covenant is only until death.  I believe it is a mistake to think or even hope covenants especially with G-d are valid for anything other than what they were made and intended for.

The Traveler

5 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Interesting; you speak of eternal marriage? Does that mean that married couples either married in the LDS temple or sealed by it shall be blessed with carrying their earthly marriage forward into eternal life into heaven? 

Styln

6 minutes ago, Styln said:

Interesting; you speak of eternal marriage? Does that mean that married couples either married in the LDS temple or sealed by it shall be blessed with carrying their earthly marriage forward into eternal life into heaven? 

Styln

Fundamentally, yes; through the grace of Christ and according to the faithfulness with which they keep their marital covenants.

Edited by Just_A_Guy