Priesthood blessings

mikbone

2 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

IIRC there was guidance from the First Presidency around 1946-ish directing that the Relief Society stop doing blessings-by-laying-on-of-hands and call for the elders instead.

That said, I’m a bit unorthodox and have told my wife that she’s welcome to stand in on any father’s blessings done on our kids in our own home.  She has consistently declined.  And I can’t visualize a set of circumstances where I would admit to this unorthodoxy in front of my entire ward.  :D

On a more general theme, we are told in holy places that a certain subset of women may hereafter “become” priestesses.  The question is not whether women will get the “priesthood”; the question is what the exercise of that priesthood would look like and when it might happen.  I suspect it will be very different than the hierarchy of ordained office and sorts of deference, obedience, and budgetary control that the OrdainWomen set seem to equate with the “priesthood power”.

Also:  didn’t Elder Oaks give a rather hefty talk on this subject within the last year or two?

In theory, women who are married within the temple for all time and eternity are already Priestesses to a degree that their husbands are also Priests in this ordinance/blessing. 

The Patriarchal order is an order of the Melchizedek Priesthood.  It can only be held by BOTH a man and a woman.  In this, the priesthood is a joint union.  HOWEVER, the husband is the head of this order in his marriage, and as such, even as the Lord is our head, the husband is normally the one who utilizes it.  In this order, each has their own position to fulfill. The Husband has that of a Father and the responsibilities of that in the home in the Priesthood.  The Wife has that of the Mother and all the responsibilities involved with that.  Thus, the home is where both have separate responsibilities, but shared in the overall union of parenthood and parents guiding the home in righteousness to the Lord.  It is not a Single Parent home, and thus it is preserved and utilized under the Patriarchal order.  As such, though it is the Husband's Melchizedek Priesthood that was originally given, it is under the order of the Patriarchal order that both are ordained to the Holy Callings of a Father and Mother in the Lord to children born in the Covenant. 

We have stories from church history where woman call upon the power of their Husband's priesthood to give blessings.

Typically, this is no longer the case today.  However, to be part of the Patriarchal order, it has to be shared between a couple.  A Husband cannot be part of it alone, and neither can his wife.

If one is gifted in this life, there is an ordinance that confirms the original ordinance, but if one does not receive it in this life and endures to the end, they will have all the guarantees in the next.

21 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

I think verse 21 is important in this aspect and in all our responsibilities, fasting and prayer, and do we perform this enough or only on Fast Sunday.

Our Patriarch fasts before every blessing he Gives.  

If I ever had to deal with this situation, I'd show up loaded for bear.  

2 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

The Patriarchal order is an order of the Melchizedek Priesthood.  It can only be held by BOTH a man and a woman.  In this, the priesthood is a joint union.

Think about what you're saying here. Think about what the word "patriarchal" means. Think about the (false) implications you give by stating that a man and woman jointly "hold" the Priesthood.

The patriarchal order is not "an order of the Priesthood". That is simply false. The new and everlasting covenant is an order of the Priesthood, one which admits only a man and a woman, sealed in marriage. The patriarchal order describes the Priesthood, aka the Patriarchal Priesthood.

2 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

That said, I’m a bit unorthodox and have told my wife that she’s welcome to stand in on any father’s blessings done on our kids in our own home.  She has consistently declined.  And I can’t visualize a set of circumstances where I would admit to this unorthodoxy in front of my entire ward.  :D

We did it once.  I stated my authority and by virtue of your mother's faith.  It was pretty awesome.  Parent's giving their child a blessing.  

I agree, Id never admit it in front of my ward...

Edited by mikbone

1 minute ago, Vort said:

Think about what you're saying here. Think about what the word "patriarchal" means. Think about the (false) implications you give by stating that a man and woman jointly "hold" the Priesthood.

The patriarchal order is not "an order of the Priesthood". That is simply false. The new and everlasting covenant is an order of the Priesthood, one which admits only a man and a woman, sealed in marriage. The patriarchal order describes the Priesthood, aka the Patriarchal Priesthood.

My wording was off

The patriarchal order is, in the words of Elder James E. Talmage, a condition where "woman shares with man the blessings of the Priesthood," where husband and wife minister, "seeing and understanding alike, and cooperating to the full in the government of their family kingdom" (Young Woman's Journal 25 [Oct. 1914]:602-603).

Patriarchal order of the priesthood

Concerning patriarchal authority, the Prophet Joseph Smith admonished the Saints: "Go to and finish the [Nauvoo] temple, and God will fill it with power, and you will then receive more knowledge concerning this priesthood" (TPJS, p. 323, cf. D&C 107:18, 20). This priesthood and its associated powers were introduced in Nauvoo, Illinois, in 1843. It was first conferred upon the First Presidency, the apostles, and their wives (WJS, pp. 244-45).

Today dedicated husbands and wives enter this order in the temple in a covenant with God. The blessings of this priesthood is given only to husbands and wives together. Their covenants extend beyond this life (D&C 76:59, 60), beyond death (D&C 132:20-24), and into the resurrection, to eternal lives, the eternal giving and receiving of life.

Thus united, they work in love, faith, and harmony for the glorification of their family. If they are not united in obedient love, if they are not one, they are not of the Lord. Eventually, through this order, families will be linked in indissoluble bonds all the way back to the first parents, and all the way forward to the last child born into this world. This priesthood order will be both the means and the end of reconciliation, redemption, peace, joy, and eternal life. LYNN A. MCKINLAY

Marriage and the Patriarchal Order

These comments on the importance of the patriarchal order in marriage represent my personal views. They are expressed in the hope that they will be helpful to those who are married or who are contemplating marriage.

The patriarchal system provides a basis for government in the kingdom of God. It places parents in a position of accountability for their own direct family, and it links these family kingdoms in a patriarchal order that lends cohesiveness to the greater kingdom of God of which they are a part. The patriarchal order has no relevance in the eternal worlds except for those husbands and wives and families who have entered into the covenant of eternal marriage.

the Lord’s system of government, every organizational unit must have a presiding officer. He has decreed that in the family organization the father assumes this role. He bears the priesthood ordination. He is accountable before the Lord for this leadership.

There is no place in the Lord’s system, however, for dictatorship. The premise for leadership in the Lord’s plan is enunciated best in D&C 121:34–46, where specific warning is given against compulsion, pride, control, unrighteous dominion, vain ambition, hypocrisy, and guile. On the other hand, emphasis is given to the need for persuasion, long-suffering, gentleness, meekness, love unfeigned, kindness, pure knowledge, faithfulness, charity, and virtue.

In a relationship where these elements are present, the wife acts as a loving, knowledgeable counselor, helpmate, and partner. A wide range of individual responsibilities must be carried by the leaders and by good counselors in every successful organization, including the family organization. These responsibilities should be agreed upon and then honored as a sacred trust. The particulars may vary in each marriage unit by agreement of the husband and wife, but the ultimate responsibility for leadership cannot be successfully delegated.

There are distinctive roles for both husbands and wives in the marriage relationship. There is also a combined or common role for them to fill.

The Patriarchal order is under the Melchizedek Priesthood.  It is NOT something that is held only by a Man and it is impossible for a man to hold it alone.  It is entered in by the Covenants made in eternal marriage and is a joint thing.  The reason it is called the Patriarchal order is, in my opinion, because it describes how the church is governed from the top of it all the way to the most basic family unit.

Stregthening the patriarchal order in the home

Let us begin by saying that a Latter-day Saint husband or father presides over his wife and family in much the same way a bishop, stake president, or elders quorum president presides over the specific group to which he is called. Each acts with counselors and seldom makes decisions without carefully consulting those whom he calls to assist him.

A counselor may be chosen to officiate in the absence of the appointed leader, or, even in the presence of the leader, the counselor may conduct by appointment while the former presides. In a similar manner, according to President Smith, “in the home the presiding authority is always vested in the father.” He then explained why:

“… This patriarchal order has its divine spirit and purpose, and those who disregard it under one pretext or another are out of harmony with the spirit of God’s laws as they are ordained for recognition in the home. It is not merely a question of who is perhaps the best qualified. Neither is it wholly a question of who is living the most worthy life. It is a question largely of law and order, and its importance is seen often from the fact that the authority remains and is respected long after a man is really unworthy to exercise it.”5

When a husband and wife demonstrate honor and respect for each other, their children are subsequently taught to honor their parents. The commandment to honor father and mother, according to President Smith, is binding upon every member of the Church today, for the law is eternal.

Parents and teachers also have an important responsibility to Latter-day Saints preparing for marriage. Paul urged that they “teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, … obedient to their own husbands” (Titus 2:4–5), and he also stated, “I will therefore that the younger women marry, bear children, guide the house, give none occasion to the adversary to speak reproachfully” (1 Tim. 5:14).

He likewise exhorted young men “to be sober minded. In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity, sound speech, that cannot be condemned. …” (Titus 2:6–8.)

By understanding the patriarchal order of marriage, a young Latter-day Saint man will be selective in choosing a wife who understands the manner in which he is to preside during their marriage. Conversely, a young Latter-day Saint woman will be more selective in choosing a husband who will preside without “unrighteous dominion.” For a Latter-day Saint marriage or family to function in any other way than the patriarchal order would be, as previously stated, “out of harmony with the spirit of God’s laws as they are ordained for recognition in the home.”

If the patriarchal order of marriage is practiced as outlined by Church leaders and the scriptures, there is little question that Latter-day Saint husbands and wives will experience happier, more stable and satisfactory marriages. Furthermore, important guidelines for raising children can be employed in such a relationship. President Smith admonished:

“Wives and children should be taught to feel that the patriarchal order in the kingdom of God has been established for a wise and beneficent purpose, and should sustain the head of the household and encourage him in the discharge of his duties, and do all in their power to aid him in the exercise of the rights and privileges which God has bestowed upon the head of the home. …

“The necessity, then, of organizing the patriarchal order and authority of the home rests upon principle as well as upon the person who holds that authority, and among the Latter-day Saints family discipline, founded upon the law of the patriarchs, should be carefully cultivated, and fathers will then be able to remove many of the difficulties that now weaken their position in the home.”8

When I was a Senior in high school my twin brother sustained an open tibia fracture after falling awkwardly pole-vaulting.  I was 17 or had just turned 18 (and I didn't get the Melchizedek priesthood till I was 20 - right before I headed out to Chile).  Anyway I laid my hands on his head and silently said the best blessing I could muster.  

My dad did it proper at the Hospital.

He later pole-vaulted again despite the orthopaedic surgeon stating he would not.

@JohnsonJones, you need to carefully reread those quotations you posted. They do not say what you apparently think they say.

4 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

The Patriarchal order is under the Melchizedek Priesthood.

Nonsense. The patriarchal order is like the law of gravity. It is a description of reality.

5 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

It is NOT something that is held only by a Man and it is impossible for a man to hold it alone.

The patriarchal order is not something "held" by anyone or any combination of people.

6 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

It is entered in by the Covenants made in eternal marriage and is a joint thing.

You are mistaken. What you appear to be attempting to describe is the new and everlasting covenant. That is not the patriarchal order.

7 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

The reason it is called the Patriarchal order is, in my opinion, because it describes how the church is governed from the top of it all the way to the most basic family unit.

In what way do you think that the word "patriarchal" means "how the church is governed from the top of it all the way to the most basic family unit"?

I think I might see where @JohnsonJones is coming from. So here's my little essay to explain the terms as I understand them.

The terms "patriarchal order" and "order of the Priesthood" (as the new and everlasting covenant is denominated) both contain the word "order", so there is a tendency to assume they are talking about the same thing. I suggest they are not.

The word "order" has various related but distinguishable meanings. One meaning is "sequence of structure". This is what I believe is meant by the "patriarchal order". The universe, from a celestial perspective, is structured in a certain way and works according to certain laws. That structure, or "order", is called the "patriarchal order". I do not know exactly why, but obviously it rests on the place and purpose of fathers in creation -- hence the name "patriarchal order". The Priesthood itself is, by definition, patriarchal. My own assumption is that the patriarchal Priesthood is the means by which eternity is controlled and influenced, giving rise to the term "patriarchal order".

The word "order" also means a "class" or "division". For example, consider the canonical biological taxonomy: kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, and species. I believe that it is in this sense that the term "order of the Priesthood" is used in describing the new and everlasting covenant, contracted in a sealing in marriage performed in the temple. Those in this order (or division) are men and women. It is a group of couples, each of which couples consist of a man and a woman.* As this is the foundation of creation, it clearly must be affiliated with the Priesthood, which we can view as the ultimate creative power that God shares with his children.

*It appears from our doctrinal practice of plural marriage that a man can potentially be a member of more than one of these couples. However that may be, it doesn't change the basic structure that I perceive.

28 minutes ago, Vort said:
36 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

It is entered in by the Covenants made in eternal marriage and is a joint thing.

You are mistaken. What you appear to be attempting to describe is the new and everlasting covenant. That is not the patriarchal order.

I'm not sure I follow what your problem is with this Vort. The patriarchal order is most certainly directly related to eternal marriage. No marriage means no fatherhood (eternally speaking). No fatherhood equals no patriarchy.

1 minute ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I'm not sure I follow what your problem is with this Vort. The patriarchal order is most certainly directly related to eternal marriage. No marriage means no fatherhood (eternally speaking). No fatherhood equals no patriarchy.

See my post just previous to yours.

15 minutes ago, Vort said:

See my post just previous to yours.

I saw that. Thanks.

18 minutes ago, Vort said:

One meaning is "sequence of structure". This is what I believe is meant by the "patriarchal order".

I don't think I've ever interpreted it that way. But based on your further explanation, it's a bit nit picking at the words when the ultimate applicable meaning is the same. In order to influence eternity as a god you must enter into the new and everlasting covenant, etc. It is the pinnacle means whereby we become (through keeping that covenant) gods and receive all that which the Father has. All that He has is the influence and control of the eternities -- the patriarchal order. Whether we enter an "order" like a group or we receive the ability to organize and control "order" it amounts to the same thing, and eternal marriage is still the key either way.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

18 hours ago, Traveler said:

A righteous sister can give a blessing just not by the power of the priesthood.  There was a time when it was believed that sisters could not open or close sacrament meeting with prayer because they do not hold the priesthood.  That has been corrected - women can pronounce opening and closing prayers - including a blessing - to bring the spirit of G-d upon the gathering and to give comfort for those in attendance or for some reason not able to attend.

That is interesting.

So ... If I was to give a blessing, it would be more like a prayer? would I still lay on my hands on the head of the person?

26 minutes ago, Chilean said:

That is interesting.

So ... If I was to give a blessing, it would be more like a prayer? would I still lay on my hands on the head of the person?

I am not sure that laying your hands on someone's head is necessary.  Lets look at this from a slightly different perspective.  First - when an Elder gives a blessing by the power of the priesthood they are acting for and as G-d by proxy.  Now lets consider a prayer - even a prayer given by a child.  That prayer is ended or given under the authority of the name of Jesus Christ.  If you read the Later-day Saint Bible dictionary under the topic of prayer - you will read that there are BLESSINGS withheld in heaven until sought for by faith through prayer.  In short prayers are necessary (and it does not indicate from who) for blessings to be received.

I believe that part of the reason that the stripling warriors were preserved was because of their mother's prayers while they were so far away from home.  I believe we should have more faith in the power of prayers uttered in the name of Jesus Christ.  I believe that prayers of faith are more important than priesthood blessings - and that prayers of faith are key elements in the fulfillment of priesthood blessings.

The Traveler

1 hour ago, Chilean said:

Chi.Chi.Chi. Le.le.le Viva Chile!!!!!

Yeah 89-91 I spent time in Osorno, Punta Arenas, Puerto Montt, and Porvenir

I was there when Pinochet stepped down and democracy took over.

I haven’t been back, but I hope to return Dec 14, 2020 for the total eclipse.

Edited by mikbone

33 minutes ago, mikbone said:

Yeah 89-91 I spent time in Osorno, Punta Arenas, Puerto Montt, and Porvenir

I was there when Pinochet stepped down and democracy took over.

I haven’t been back, but I hope to return Dec 14, 2020 for the total eclipse.

That's cool!! Southern Chile is the best, I think. People are warmer, and the food over there is also very yummy.   I'm from Santiago. My grandma met the sister missionaries through a common friend back in the 60's.
I was born in 87 so I was very young the last few years of Pinochet. 
My sister is visiting Chile right now for "las Fiestas Patrias", I haven't been back in like 11 years... I just don't want to... as I'll get homesick, and I rather not expose myself to feeling sad about living so far away from friends and family. So I'm good with no visiting. LOL  
Yeah, that eclipse should be wonderful to see from Chile.

Edited by Chilean

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

I am not sure that laying your hands on someone's head is necessary.  Lets look at this from a slightly different perspective.  First - when an Elder gives a blessing by the power of the priesthood they are acting for and as G-d by proxy.  Now lets consider a prayer - even a prayer given by a child.  That prayer is ended or given under the authority of the name of Jesus Christ.  If you read the Later-day Saint Bible dictionary under the topic of prayer - you will read that there are BLESSINGS withheld in heaven until sought for by faith through prayer.  In short prayers are necessary (and it does not indicate from who) for blessings to be received.

I believe that part of the reason that the stripling warriors were preserved was because of their mother's prayers while they were so far away from home.  I believe we should have more faith in the power of prayers uttered in the name of Jesus Christ.  I believe that prayers of faith are more important than priesthood blessings - and that prayers of faith are key elements in the fulfillment of priesthood blessings. 

The Traveler 

I should write this things down, so I don't forget them. You make sense. 

• 1 month later...