Unexpected Interests

zil

My love of dressage is both weird and unexpected having grown up in a non horsey household. But my first job out of school was with horses and I have been in and out of the industry for years.  I have owned a horse and competed for the last 10 years and last year I passed an MSc in Equine Behaviour, Performance and Training and now am a lecturer in Equine studies!

I am also a science nerd.  I went back to school as a mature student and single mum and ended up in science classes and found out I was quite good at it. Followed up with a degree in molecular biology (Dolly the sheep was headline grabbing news at this time - so it was a new and sexy science) and worked for a pharmaceutical company. Ended up as a science teacher as it worked better with raising my son. Found out I was better at physics and chemistry and loved blowing stuff up (in a responsible and controlled manner, of course). Love the teaching but not the paperwork so a career change was in order but still use the scientific method in my research and apply it to my teaching...and still read up on new research and watch science based documentaries....love learning about the phenomenal world around us - which is all science actually is.

Dresaage.jpg

I imagine almost everyone that knows me or has remembered some of my posts here would be aware that I have a very big interest in health and fitness. What they may not know though is that I have had a lifelong love of building with lego blocks, but I'm not a brand snob, I'll happily accept Mega Bloks (now Mega Construx for the standard lego compatible blocks) and Blocktech, but I've never had the opportunity to try Tyco Super Blocks, in any event the "knock off" blocks I've tried have been quite compatible and comparable. The one thing I could count on for Christmas for years was a new addition to my Lego Collection. My oldest daughter (3) loves to watch DinoTrux on Netflix and enjoys building various Trux with me and then playing with our creations to build more creations or rather "Trux it up."

I have also surprised people because I enjoy Chess. It's one of the first games I remember learning to play and look forward to teaching my children. I haven't played in forever, but I used to be able to play a respectable game playing a former Chess Champion of the City of Calgary (a city of 1.5 million people - though more like half that at the time) to a stalemate (draw). I was unofficially rated playing a computer to score in the low 2000s on the ELO scale. Up until then I just played with my brother and friends for fun, but apparently I wasn't half bad. Perhaps with a bit of brushing up i could be again, but it's likely been at least a decade since my last real game.

Oh it always goes over well as one of my quirks as well - my first major purchase (around $300) that I made as a teenager when I could start earning my own money was an upright vacuum cleaner that I was in love with. Their is just something about a clean carpet with nice crisp and fresh vacuum lines... I love it.

9 minutes ago, KScience said:

My love of dressage is both weird and unexpected having grown up in a non horsey household. But my first job out of school was with horses and I have been in and out of the industry for years.  I have owned a horse and competed for the last 10 years and last year I passed an MSc in Equine Behaviour, Performance and Training and now am a lecturer in Equine studies!

I am also a science nerd.  I went back to school as a mature student and single mum and ended up in science classes and found out I was quite good at it. Followed up with a degree in molecular biology (Dolly the sheep was headline grabbing news at this time - so it was a new and sexy science) and worked for a pharmaceutical company. Ended up as a science teacher as it worked better with raising my son. Found out I was better at physics and chemistry and loved blowing stuff up (in a responsible and controlled manner, of course). Love the teaching but not the paperwork so a career change was in order but still use the scientific method in my research and apply it to my teaching...and still read up on new research and watch science based documentaries....love learning about the phenomenal world around us - which is all science actually is.

Dresaage.jpg

I still remember seeing a dash of sodium burst into flames on water in chemistry in high school - I know I wasn't the only one who thought of raiding the science closet for mischief 😀

1 minute ago, SpiritDragon said:

I still remember seeing a dash of sodium burst into flames on water in chemistry in high school - I know I wasn't the only one who thought of raiding the science closet for mischief 😀

You wouldn't be the first or last to have done exactly this!!  The student who tried to deposit the loot down the sink when I noticed half my sample was missing, (and no one was leaving without a bag search ) had not paid close enough attention to my demo, or not thought through the consequences of their actions!!

Also had to keep close tabs on the Magnesium ribbon.

1 hour ago, SpiritDragon said:

I imagine almost everyone that knows me or has remembered some of my posts here would be aware that I have a very big interest in health and fitness. What they may not know though is that I have had a lifelong love of building with lego blocks, but I'm not a brand snob, I'll happily accept Mega Bloks (now Mega Construx for the standard lego compatible blocks) and Blocktech, but I've never had the opportunity to try Tyco Super Blocks, in any event the "knock off" blocks I've tried have been quite compatible and comparable. The one thing I could count on for Christmas for years was a new addition to my Lego Collection. My oldest daughter (3) loves to watch DinoTrux on Netflix and enjoys building various Trux with me and then playing with our creations to build more creations or rather "Trux it up."

I have also surprised people because I enjoy Chess. It's one of the first games I remember learning to play and look forward to teaching my children. I haven't played in forever, but I used to be able to play a respectable game playing a former Chess Champion of the City of Calgary (a city of 1.5 million people - though more like half that at the time) to a stalemate (draw). I was unofficially rated playing a computer to score in the low 2000s on the ELO scale. Up until then I just played with my brother and friends for fun, but apparently I wasn't half bad. Perhaps with a bit of brushing up i could be again, but it's likely been at least a decade since my last real game.

Oh it always goes over well as one of my quirks as well - my first major purchase (around $300) that I made as a teenager when I could start earning my own money was an upright vacuum cleaner that I was in love with. Their is just something about a clean carpet with nice crisp and fresh vacuum lines... I love it.

Fun! Legos are awesome. I would recommend getting the Taj Mahal set, as it has been brought back for another season.  It was selling for 1.5k+ before it was brought back. Get it while you can :P

One of my unofficial hobbies is talking to people. Not only on the internet but in person. I like to listen and also tell them stories. I like to see their faces light up when they talk about themselves and I like to see the wheels turning when they listen to me share a story or random knowledge. Don't get me wrong, I need breaks too. I normally didn't room with a person I wanted to keep a long friendship with when I was single. EVERYONE gets annoying the longer you stay with them. Now that's not always a done deal. Sometimes it is manageable. Sometimes roommates can become an extension of your family, with the good and bad but with acquaintances it is easier to maintain short bursts of positivity spread out so you associate positive feelings in your mind about them. Just a couple of examples of relationships you can have.

I once got in argument with my mailman. He was mad because I didn't answer my door fast enough (caught him as he was getting back in his mail mobile) he was an old retired military vet. He got all uppity but I stood my ground that could answer the door to whoever I wanted, at the speed I wanted. After that I would make sure to greet him with a smile even though he didn't respond at first. Eventually we became friends as he always delivered my packages. One day he was curious why I always got so much stuff and lucky for him it was jerky! I busted it open and we sat and ate it together. Lol. After that he'd deliver my stuff in lightning speed and if I ordered something shareable (like Utah truffles) he'd get some nice samples. People are priceless! Even more so extraordinary people; keeps hope alive when you run across one.

8 hours ago, SpiritDragon said:

If that doesn't qualify as unexpected, I don't know what does! :lol:

7 hours ago, SpiritDragon said:

Chemistry was the best - the teacher showed us how to make a bomb out of flour, and the explosive power of a tiny bit of, I think (it was like 1985) sodium iodide?  Oh, and zinc + water.  Anywho, yeah, fun class.

1 hour ago, zil said:

I've discovered there are lots of ways to get rust off, but some are more entertaining than others. 

Interesting description of this process. I suppose watching water boil and paint dry can fall into this category as well.

1 hour ago, zil said:

IMO, most of the time, "safe" is a behavior, not an inanimate object.)

Quite

Well, I suppose a land mine and a cake have the same safety rating according to this train of thought. 

12 hours ago, lostinwater said:

Just sitting, or walking - depending on where i'm at - in public places (i know, hold on, keep reading).

Discretely studying people's faces - especially their eyes - and just overall interactions with one another.  It's seriously interesting - especially if you ponder on the why of it.  You pretty much always come out of it with an improved state of mind.    Especially recommended for introverts for whom the world is a confusing place.

Don't worry, it's not *that* creepy.  By the nature of the thing, nobody stays for long.

i blame my starting to do this on videos like the one below (no, i never say anything to anyone).  

And i'd only recommend doing this if you are in a very, very, very large city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZP6uJtgM34

I people watch too. Started when I was about 12 and was allowed to take the city bus to downtown Seattle on Saturdays. I would watch the people on the bus.  I couldn't understand what they were saying - - couldn't make out the words, just the tone - - I put that together with body language and made up my own stories.

I loved to window shop, which actually included going inside the stores and *shopping with my eyes*. One of the places that held my interest until I graduated High School and moved out of Seattle was the Pike Place Market https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pike_Place_Market

I spent nearly all day there, watching, learning, enjoying. Not just the customers - but the vendors. And all of those smells. From the Oh So Very Fresh fish, oysters, scallops, and other creatures from the deep, deep sea to spices I couldn't even pronounce, fresh fruits & vegetables ~ in the season thereof, even meats being cut up to order. The wandering further along there  are the shops - selling incense, scented candles, shawls, rugs from far away countries.

I had to be home by 5:30 pm, and I made that curfew by the *skin of my teeth*. So the weird &  unexpected part(s) ~ how many 12 to 18 year old girls prefer to be alone, people watching, exploring exotic shops, discovering the wonders of fish, meats, produce markets where the vendors have been hawking their wares pretty much like they have been doing for centuries?

Rrandom: I also would go to the Woodland Park Zoo not only to see and watch the animals there, but also the people. It was fascinating to see how the people reacted to each other, their children and then the animals. 

Another favorite spot was the Seattle Center - not only the displays, artists, musicians, etc. But walking through the Food Marts. Oh what wonders to behold!! All those foods from far away places, and then the Americanized foods of course.

I really didn't have much money to spend - often just $5.00 in my pocket and the 20 cents for the round trip bus fare. [yes it was many years ago - 1964-1970]

Nowadays my people watching while shopping has evolved into people interaction. I have to grocery/household shop and I do the major part of it on the 4th Wednesday, Thursday or Friday of the month ~ after our big payday. That is a 25 mile one way trip to 4 to 6 stores, with eating breakfast in my favorite restaurant before I go to any store. I don't people watch there, I read a book and eat.

Then I head out to Walmart with my shopping lists from Fred Meyer, Safeway, Thriftway and my *shopping book list* - where I have written down our needs that don't happen to be on sale at any of the stores. I compare prices, if Walmart is cheaper - I buy. While I am shopping, I interact with other shoppers. Usually I am the one to start the conversation. Generally my comments are upbeat or funny or inquisitive. Like once  eggplants were on sale for 0.89$ each, they were large, and the most beautiful color. This tiny little Native American (or are they now called First Nation) elderly woman was picking one out. I remarked how beautiful they looked and how my Mother's first and last attempt to cook some ended up in us kids have hard, round, smallish hockey pucks to toss around and have our dog fetch back to us. She then gave me the directions on how to make Eggplant Parmesan. She selected two of the largest ones and I then went to buy the ingredients I needed.

There isn't a shopping day where I don't interact with other customers and the store employees - being upbeat, pleasant and with good humor, helps me endure the pain that hits my poor aging body by the third store. Before the last store, it is time to go back to the restaurant for lunch and a much needed rest. If after the last grocery store my feet are not screaming at me and my lower back, hip to foot is not burning (sciatic nerves in overload), then there is a stop at Dollar Tree on the way home. Just to see what they have, and to purchase anything that jumps out at me saying: Buy me, You can't do without me, like the Spicy Brown Mustard, and the bags of buttered popcorn for hubby, or any pasta bowls (which are as rare as hen's teeth).

Then it is Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity-Jig.

Now while I am on a roll  🙄 I also love to iron clothes. Since the majority of my clothing is natural fibers (linen blends, cottons, and cotton blends, etc. ) it is a good thing that I like it. Even to the point of purchasing a Rowena iron and double padding my ironing board! I absolutely love to see the wrinkles disappear! Oh - wait - loving ironing - that is a Major Weirdness!

10 hours ago, SpiritDragon said:

Yep, that is weird all right!

34 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Does working an aquaponics system count?

Geocaching?

You have to tell us whether it counts.  Just because it's not common doesn't mean it's unexpected for you - and just because it's common (like having a vacuum cleaner), doesn't mean it's expected for you.

People never expect me to like heavy music. My dad grew up as a DJ, so I grew up listening to all kinds of music and still do. I spent a lot of time with a guy who only listened to progressive metal/rock, and he taught me how to find odd music. I also like folk rock and YouTube parodies/mashups. (I have a playlist to keep track of them called "We Do the Weird Stuff," from a line in a Dr. Horrible song.)

I have a wide variety of hobbies and interests, but I suppose Australian entertainment fits in the least. TV shows and movies, mostly.

Curling always catches people off guard, until I mention that I curled in high school and grew up a block away from one of the oldest clubs in the US. I'm hoping to join the local club next season, if not this (based on deadlines and costs).

I'm an ambivert with introverted friends, so people don't always realize I enjoy going to athletic events. However, I don't like going alone, especially to high school games (feel like a creeper). There's just something about experiencing crowd mentality that I find infectious and uplifting. It's where I do the best crowd watching, and love seeing people's reactions when I give a gravelly "woop woop woop" after a good play. 

1 hour ago, zil said:

You have to tell us whether it counts.  Just because it's not common doesn't mean it's unexpected for you - and just because it's common (like having a vacuum cleaner), doesn't mean it's expected for you.

Well, since I design water systems, ecosystems, and surveying for a living, I guess it is not unexpected.  So, I'll have to tell you all that I have another hobby.  You see, I like to indulge just a bit.  It's not something I like to admit in public.  One might say that I'm a bit ashamed to tell people.  But... you see... I like... country music.

OK. THERE !!! I said it.  I like country music.  Go ahead.  Pile on me.  I know what you must think of me.  I don't care.  I like it and it's a sight better than KISS or Iron Maiden.  That's right.  I said it.  Country music is better than heavy metal.  There.

Whew!!  I feel a lot better.

Edited by Guest

On 9/26/2018 at 2:34 PM, zil said:

But totally unexpected, I once watched (on YouTube) a dude restore a rusty old pipe cutter (I think that was the first thing), and discovered that I really like watching this restoration process - particularly the electricity to get the rust off bit.  There's something very satisfying about (a) seeing someone do something they're good at, (b) learning a tiny bit about something foreign to you, (c) seeing something that looks like it's worthless restored to good-as-new condition (like an inanimate resurrection, if you will).  I've watched enough of these now that I can recognize instances where it's clear the restorer has learned from experience what works and what doesn't (and even which restorers are better than others).

Very cool video. I subscribed to his channel. He won't be displacing This Old Tony any time soon, but he looks like a good addition to my time-wasting YouTube lineup.

13 hours ago, zil said:

Chemistry was the best - the teacher showed us how to make a bomb out of flour, and the explosive power of a tiny bit of, I think (it was like 1985) sodium iodide?  Oh, and zinc + water.  Anywho, yeah, fun class.

My sophomore chem teacher once talked us through the entire process of cooking meth.  He then announced that he’d seen our lab work and was fully confident that if any of us tried cooking meth on our own, we’d just end up killing ourselves.  (Getting the temperature right is apparently pretty tricky, and doing it wrong can have disastrous consequences.) 

Edited by Just_A_Guy