Unexpected Interests

zil

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

My sophomore chem teacher once talked us through the entire process of cooking meth.  He then announced that he’d seen our lab work and was fully confident that if any of us tried cooking meth on our own, we’d just end up killing ourselves.  (Getting the temperature right is apparently pretty tricky, and doing it wrong can have disastrous consequences.) 

I think you've lied to us about your profession, pal. 

@mirkwood! Pay attention to this! 

On 9/26/2018 at 8:43 PM, JohnsonJones said:

I like to read History books (if you do what you love, you never have to go to work, you just get paid to play) and I collect all sorts of various journals, diaries, accounts, and other items that are related to historical records.  I also just buy straight up history books and read them as well.  I enjoy reading Church history among other things (though I'm an amateur Church Historian on that accord).

I think most would find it a very boring interest but it's what I love to do.  Everyone has a story, it's just trying to get them to tell it.

22 hours ago, Overwatch said:

One of my unofficial hobbies is talking to people. Not only on the internet but in person… People are priceless! Even more so extraordinary people; keeps hope alive when you run across one.

The Story Trek is a great show.

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Well, since I design water systems, ecosystems, and surveying for a living, I guess it is not unexpected.  So, I'll have to tell you all that I have another hobby.  You see, I like to indulge just a bit.  It's not something I like to admit in public.  One might say that I'm a bit ashamed to tell people.  But... you see... I like... country music.

OK. THERE !!! I said it.  I like country music.  Go ahead.  Pile on me.  I know what you must think of me.  I don't care.  I like it and it's a sight better than KISS or Iron Maiden.  That's right.  I said it.  Country music is better than heavy metal.  There.

Whew!!  I feel a lot better.

I guess my unexpected interest is names. Derivations, trends in given names, etc.

I am in the process of creating a new toy.  It won't be cheap, but I believe it will really sell well.  Unfortunately I cannot really mention much about the toy, but it basically takes a kids toy and puts some electric power to it to make it a young adult/dad's toy.

Hopefully by the end of next year I'll have some production samples.  But we will see.  

@zil got me into fountain pens.  But that's not really unexpected because I love writing letters when I was a teen.  It kinda got overtaken by my fascination with programming emails (before emails became en vogue) so zil's fountain pens is like revisiting an old friend.

Right now, I have this strange fascination with Tiny Houses on wheels.  This is unexpected because my husband and I argued when we bought our current house because I told him it is ONLY 3,000 sq ft.  So my oldest child is in senior year and my youngest child is in sophomore year.  Both are gung ho on serving a mission right out of high school.  I went to the Philippines this year for the very first time without my kids thinking it would be good for me to prepare myself for the separation.  It was the most miserable time of my mother life.  So, I happened on this video about a mom of twin toddlers who sold their expensive house in Seattle and moved into a 34-foot 5th-wheel trailer pulled by their RAM 3500 dually.  They are living like gypsies moving from campground to campground following music festivals.  And I thought to myself... lightbulb!  My husband and I can move into a Tiny House on wheels and drag the thing to pingpong to wherever my 2 kids go!  Brilliant!  I've been learning about Tiny House building ever since - it's quite a complicated thing... learned about solar arrays, composting toilets, even a foot-pedaled washing machine.  Now I'm into... "how to back-up/parallel park your trailer...".

23 minutes ago, zil said:

Erm, you know they're not allowed to visit family while on a mission, right?

Yes... but there's nothing in the handbook that says the parents are barred from the mission area.. woot woot woot.  But knowing my kid, he'll be super mad if I show up on his mission so I gotta just have to be super sneaky... :D

For people who know me, they find it definitely out of character that I would actually be a moderator on a website. Haha.

One of my quirks lately is I have a fascination with watching flight simulations of airplane crashes. You Tube happily notifies me of any new videos that are out, and I can’t seem to help myself, but watch the grizzly scenes. It’s amazing how real these videos seem.

Edited by classylady

19 hours ago, Lost Boy said:

I am in the process of creating a new toy.  It won't be cheap, but I believe it will really sell well.  Unfortunately I cannot really mention much about the toy, but it basically takes a kids toy and puts some electric power to it to make it a young adult/dad's toy.

Hopefully by the end of next year I'll have some production samples.  But we will see.  

So cool! 🧐 Want to see this!

22 hours ago, zil said:

Erm, you know they're not allowed to visit family while on a mission, right?

I had some friends who had a son serving a mission that either includes or borders whatever one DisneyPlace is in (I get Land and World mixed up).  The mom grew up not far from there, so the rest of the family met some extended family at Disney and didn't tell the missionary until after.  :)

Guest MormonGator
14 minutes ago, seashmore said:

I had some friends who had a son serving a mission that either includes or borders whatever one DisneyPlace is in (I get Land and World mixed up).  The mom grew up not far from there, so the rest of the family met some extended family at Disney and didn't tell the missionary until after.  :)

1 minute ago, zil said:

They are alphabetical.  L before W, C before F.  DisneyLand is in California.  DisneyWorld is in Florida.

This of it this way: DisneyWorld is in the same state that the super cool @MormonGator and @LadyGator live in. 😉 

17 hours ago, MormonGator said:

This of it this way: DisneyWorld is in the same state that the super cool @MormonGator and @LadyGator live in. 😉 

Louisiana?  They seem to be the state with the most alligators!

:sorry:

Couldn't resist.

On interests...Florida seems to have won a decent game yesterday and Florida St. eeked out a win. 

Of course, they've both lost a game this season (I think), and Georgia is still going strong.

Of course, they also say Pride goeth before the fall.   Now that I've said that, UGA may be in trouble...hope not though.

18 hours ago, seashmore said:

Land as in LA, hence California