Romantic Music

Traveler

If you like the Piano Guys, you might also like:

Jim Brickman (some of his stuff is romantic-sounding, Dream Come True, Valentine - If that one's not romantic, nothing is.)

David Lanz (examples: Behind the Waterfall, Heartsounds)

Attempting to suggest things that are "safe" (as in, nothing that someone might think inappropriate):

Natalie Cole, A Smile Like Yours

Club 1600, Stay (jazz, no lyrics)

Earl Klugh, Now and Again (jazz, lyrics sung by Roberta Flack)

Enya, Marble Halls (the sound may not be as romantic, but the lyrics sure are)

I'm guessing you don't want the Fabulous Thunderbirds, Tuff Enuff, but it's romantic in its way... :D

Maybe you could tell us genres or something more - instrumental only? lyrics ok? only slow stuff, or upbeat too?  I could give you some smooth jazz that sounds awfully romantic, pop, country, bluegrass (yes, I have one romantic bluegrass song), 70s music with corny lyrics that's still kinda romantic.

16 hours ago, Traveler said:

What would you consider romantic music to set the mood for you and that special someone at a private dinner? 

I have always been partial to anything by 100 Strings.  More recently I could include “The Piano Guys”.

The Traveler

C'mon @Traveler, the masses want to know, are you going with Yanni, AC/DC, 70's soul music, crooners, classical, or some smooth jazz?

20 hours ago, Traveler said:

What would you consider romantic music to set the mood for you and that special someone at a private dinner? 

The Traveler

Boy, that's hard because there are so many beautiful pieces and so many wonderful renditions. I agreed with some of the previous posts. But it's funny how throughout my life I've found that the best bet on choosing romantic music was to know beforehand what my lady liked because I found that many times when I was with someone and I heard a beautiful piece in the background, 'she' barely noticed it. And yet later on if we happened to be talking she might say something like, "...remember the song they played at the restaurant...?", and I would be surprised to learn she had indeed noticed. 

Anyway, among the thousands of songs I can imagine enjoying in a dinner setting is "Misty" rendered by Johnny Mathis--or even better yet a purely instrumental rendition is always safe. :)

23 hours ago, anatess2 said:

My husband and I are probably the only married couple in existence who doesn't have a theme song.

I took a quick glance at my playlists and I'd say I'd probably choose Yanni's In My Time album out of the lot to play on a romantic dinner.

That's ok.  We make up for it by having two:

Angel -- Sarah Mclachlan

Time in a Bottle --  Jim Croce (Kroh' - chee).

The first is for those nights after a nice dinner and show where we come back home and just want to spend some time together but are too tired to talk or do anything else.  So, we slow dance to that song.  As for smooth jazz, this song is what I consider a marriage between smooth jazz and alternative.

The second is more of a theme song for our marriage.  We have a music box with that song, for instance.

Edited by Guest

OK.  So, I've just been emasculated by my wife.  Apparently, I'm the woman in the relationship.

I was telling her about these two songs being our songs.  I even got Angel on Youtube and played it for us.  But the conversation went something like this:

Me: So, that's our slow dance song.
Her: Our song?  Don't I get a say in this?
Me: What?  You don't like it?
Her: No, I like it just fine.  But "our song" is supposed to have some kind of meaning for us.
Me: Uhmmm... You don't remember?
Her: Remember what?

I then proceeded to recount to her how it got to be our song and why it was so significant in our relationship.  She looked at me with a blank expression.

Me: You have no recollection of this, do you?
Her: No, why would I?  It sounds like that was a long time ago.
Me: But I play this every anniversary and Valentine's day... for US!!!
Her: Yeah, I wondered why you always did that.

I can't believe it.  Here I thought it was this ultra special song that had some tender memories associated with us.  And she just thought it was "an ok song."  Wow...  Yup, I'm the woman.