Was jesus married

Jeries

9 minutes ago, MarginOfError said:

Which explains why Jesus didn't drink wine...............

There are 18 different words in the Bible which have been translated as "wine" in the King James translation. I don't know the word which was used in relation to the sacrament or any other time Jesus drank "wine." Wine would have been preferable to water at the time of Jesus for obvious reasons.

Edited by LePeel

Well, there was actually a marriage (in Cana (John 2: 1-11), and if Jesus was not the bridegroom in this case, please, who was THEN, if anybody can show that to me and prove it is not the Redeemer of the world, I will confess that I am in error, saying that it was Jesus Christ who got married to be related so that he could see his offspring, Isaiah 53:10), before he was crucified. Did he actually die, did he accept the descendants of Abraham without having a progeny bearing his name on earth? No. But whoever comes out of the hidden, the descendants of the Blessed are to be gathered in the last days, and whoever does not have the blood of Abraham in his veins, I fear that this is a heathen which in the last days will not be gathered with and left, for I say unto you, they are the elect of God, the descendants of the blessed, who are gathered. I do not despise to be called son of Abraham, if he had a dozen wives; or to be called a brother, a son, a child of the Savior, if he had Mary, and Martha, and several others, as wives; but though he did not cast seven devils out of one of them, it's all the same to me. [1]

Later views
Joseph Fielding Smith apparently believed that Jesus was married and that He had children. In a 1963 letter to Elder Smith (currently President of the Council of the Twelve), J. Ricks Smith asked for a clarification of the question he had about the marital and marital status of Jesus.

Edited by goor_de

31 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I had never thought about this before, but I was recently reading in the OT where God flat-out told one of the OT prophets—I think it was Jeremiah—**not** to get married, due to the demands of his ministry and Jerusalem’s impending destruction (also:  as a symbol for the people).  

So, while I’ve traditionally speculated that Jesus was probably married for the reasons @LePeel gives; we do have scriptural precedent to the contrary.  (And of course, we have Paul advocating the single life as well.). 

Do you think Jesus is married now?

1 hour ago, MarginOfError said:

If I remember correctly, this was when Jesus was asked which of seven brothers a woman would be married to if she were married to the first, had no children before he died, and given to the second, etc, on until the seventh.  The issue here is that a woman was given to a brother as a wife for the purpose of producing a male heir that could inherit the first husband's property.  Jesus was rebuking that practice.  It really didn't have anything to do with "eternal marriage" so much as it was a suggestion that maybe a woman could inherit her husband's property just fine.

I disagree with the idea that Jesus was rebuking the practice.  The practice was given by commandment from Moses (Deut. 25:5-10).  A similar principle applies even today.  If a man dies and his wife remains sealed to him but marries another man, any children she bears are born under the covenant with the first spouse, to whom she is sealed.  Jesus was referring to the following knowledge which is revealed in the D&C:

15 Therefore, if a man marry him a wife in the world, and he marry her not by me nor by my word, and he covenant with her so long as he is in the world and she with him, their covenant and marriage are not of force when they are dead, and when they are out of the world; therefore, they are not bound by any law when they are out of the world.

16 Therefore, when they are out of the world they neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven, which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those who are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory.

17 For these angels did not abide my law; therefore, they cannot be enlarged, but remain separately and singly, without exaltation, in their saved condition, to all eternity; and from henceforth are not gods, but are angels of God forever and ever.

(D&C 132:15-17) emphasis added

Within my opinion, and the Spirit that inhabits my soul, Jesus was indeed married and I believe from scripture and words of past prophets (more than one) and others which provides in the mouth of two or three witnesses; however, I also understand the specification provided by @MarginOfError (MOE) and is why I begin with "my opinion" on this matter.

1) We know Christ came to fulfill all righteousness. There are three elements of baptism: commandment, sanctification, and receiving the Holy Ghost. Two of these elements Christ did not need, and he was only baptized to fulfill all righteousness in obedience to his Father.

2) The scriptures hint to at least three women Christ could have been married to. One in which appears to be much more than a hint (Mary). The scriptures appear to make Mary and Martha more than just "friends" to the Savior. The fact that Martha is complaining to Jesus about Mary not helping with specific household duties is intriguing also. I have been in homes and the only time I have seen a woman complain about another individual is when there is more family relation than not. We know Mary and Martha were not blood related (siblings with Christ), but Jesus's love toward Lazarus is also to me telling.

3) As already has been pointed out, the episode of water into wine is clear (at least to me) as to who was the bridegroom in this scenario.

4) We know a sealing is a commandment from the Father, and when we have knowledge of a commandment we are given responsibility to keep such. I think of Joseph and polygamy. The knowledge was given and he was commanded to live it. Word of caution, if you don't want something, don't ask for the knowledge because if you receive knowledge (as from God) you are commanded to keep it -- in this life. We know Jesus was perfect and one with the Father. The only way to maintain such would be to keep the sealing due to his knowledge and his unity with God.

5) Mary being the first to see Jesus before he ascended to the Father I think is very important information also. Who would President Hinckley want to see after he is resurrected besides his mother and father? Who would I want to see upon my resurrection besides my mother and father? Why would I show myself to any woman besides my beloved first before anyone else even those I served with?

@Just_A_Guy - I assume this is why @Suzie gives you such a compliment :). Your point regarding scripture references and callings where people were commanded to not marry is good, my only argument is that was during the Law of Moses (if my mind is remembering scripture correctly) and the school teacher was done away with Christ. Our Savior re-instituted the higher law, and I think the higher law would have his calling to show the "perfect" example of obedience to the Father in all things.

53 minutes ago, MarginOfError said:

Well the 8 Ball is failing on this one. This is not making my decision any easier like it says:

1) Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/721yc9csehpimvb/Screenshot 2018-09-27 09.51.25.png?dl=0

2) Image 2 (tried again later): https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5oz9deukq3wgqh/Screenshot 2018-09-27 09.52.26.png?dl=0

If it is a commandment for all people to go forth and replenish the earth, then either:

Jesus kept this commandment and had children, in which case He was probably married;

Jesus broke this commandment, in which case He was not perfect

Of course, the commandment to go forth and multiply might have been given only to Adam and perhaps did not apply to Christ.

51 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

If it is a commandment for all people to go forth and replenish the earth, then either:

Jesus kept this commandment and had children, in which case He was probably married;

Jesus broke this commandment, in which case He was not perfect

Of course, the commandment to go forth and multiply might have been given only to Adam and perhaps did not apply to Christ.

I disagree with this and here's why (sounds like a clickbait.  Hah hah):

1.)  In LDS belief, to be God (perfect), one has to have an eternal marriage.  Jesus was ALREADY God (already perfected) before he was born of Mary.  So Jesus' wife would be somewhere where Heavenly Father's wife is.

2.)  Whether he got married to another wife during his mortal mission or not does not change his adherence to the commandments because He is already God and already perfected - otherwise, he wouldn't qualify to fulfill the atonement.

So, you might ask, why did he need to be baptized?  His entire mortal ministry was laid out for our plan of salvation.  He set an example for us to attain salvation.  Eternal marriage is not a requirement for salvation - it is a requirement for exaltation, so he might have set that example during his mortal ministry or he might not have.  Since the Church doesn't teach that he married during his mortal ministry then I lean towards he didn't.

Edited by anatess2

15 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

So, you might ask, why did he need to be baptized?  His entire mortal ministry was laid out for our plan of salvation.  He set an example for us to attain salvation.  Eternal marriage is not a requirement for salvation - it is a requirement for exaltation, so he might have set that example during his mortal ministry or he might not have.  Since the Church doesn't teach that he married during his mortal ministry then I lean towards he didn't.

Our Savior set an example for us to attain "Exaltation" not salvation. Even those in the Telestial kingdom are saved and have received salvation. His whole purpose was to bring us back into the presence of God the Father as exalted beings. His mission was not any less than that. Eternal marriage is requisite to obtain exaltation.

4 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

Our Savior set an example for us to attain "Exaltation" not salvation. Even those in the Telestial kingdom are saved and have received salvation. His whole purpose was to bring us back into the presence of God the Father as exalted beings. His mission was not any less than that. Eternal marriage is requisite to obtain exaltation.

True.  But even in the restored gospel, there is no scripture that indicates Jesus went through the ordinance of eternal marriage.  Therefore, "to fulfill all righteousness" doesn't include the necessity of eternal marriage where it necessitates baptism.

7 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

True.  But even in the restored gospel, there is no scripture that indicates Jesus went through the ordinance of eternal marriage.  Therefore, "to fulfill all righteousness" doesn't include the necessity of eternal marriage where it necessitates baptism.

I was solely responding to Christ's mission and exaltation. As to baptism we are in agreement and marriage; however, we also have no scripture that mentions Heavenly Mother and yet she exists :)

Either way, we can have our opinions and theories as long as we make that known. :)

12 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

I was solely responding to Christ's mission and exaltation. As to baptism we are in agreement and marriage; however, we also have no scripture that mentions Heavenly Mother and yet she exists :)

Either way, we can have our opinions and theories as long as we make that known. :)

Agreed.

But, I still posit that baptism is a necessary ordinance for salvation, eternal marriage is not, hence it was not necessary to restore that scripture if Jesus did marry.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic