Should I Ask to be Reassigned? (Temple Worker)

seashmore

I've been unemployed since June.  I've been a temple worker since August.  I start a new job on Monday.  The schedule for the position I was hired for has me at work until 5 p.m. on Tuesdays.  Our pre-shift meeting starts at 5:10 and it's a twenty minute drive from work to the temple with no traffic.  (Which may add up to ten minutes.)  We have a sister on our shift who, for reasons I'm not aware of, cannot make it to the pre-shift meeting, but can be there in time to help with the sessions.  Our meeting was a little hasty when I mentioned the possible dilemma to my temple president last week, before we closed.  He mentioned a concern that I might feel a little rushed, and that I could/should email him when I knew about the job.

Because of my schedule and the temple's, there is only one other shift that would not require me to not come straight from work.  However, Saturday nights would put more stress on me in the long run since I teach Sunbeams and my main source of social interaction is my writing group on Saturday nights. 

I struggle with depression, and it always gets worse in the winter time.  Being a temple worker gives me a concrete sense of divine purpose: I am helping people feel welcome in the Lord's house.  Future me does not want Present me to give that up, but Present me does not see a way to make it work.

Any advice as to what I should say to my temple president in an email about the situation?  I'd like to try it out for a couple of weeks.  I'm also sending an email to my shift coordinator to see what she thinks.

Just lay out what you told us: that  being a temple worker gives me a concrete sense of divine purpose, and you would like to continue, but you're not going to be able to make a 5:10 pre-shift meeting.  Is there a way we could work this out?    For example, you joining the shift a little late at 5:30.

People want you there to help out, and you want to be there.  This can be worked out, no problem.  

4 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

So writing group eh? Do tell!

It started off as NaNoWriMo meetings in Saturday nights in November. It just extends into a year round thing for many folks. It's only serious during November (sometimes for Camp NaNo in April and July) but there are always at least five or so people there. Enough that Village Inn lets us permanently reserve their party room from 7pm to close.