A question about modesty and exercising

Opal

I’m not endowed but when I am endowed I plan to take off my garments while I exercise out of respect for the garment.

What I’m wondering is this: Is it appropriate to wear short shorts and a tank top while exercising?

I live in Arizona and getting my heart rate up makes me feel too hot to bear.

Typical workout clothing is not breathable enough fabric to me.

I know this is a bit of a personal decision but I need some advice and doctrine about this topic.

When we swim we wear swimsuits that show off a lot of skin but that’s appropriate?

Is wearing short shorts and a tank top while exercising still inappropriate?

Should I err on the side of caution?

Let me know your thoughts.

Edited by Opal
Correct mistakes in writing

53 minutes ago, Opal said:

I plan to take off my garments while I exercise out of respect for the garment.

I used to say the same sort of thing. It was an excuse. It's not valid. It's not true. Working hard in the garment does not, in any way, disrespect it.

Welcome, @Opal!

1 hour ago, Opal said:

When we swim we wear swimsuits that show off a lot of skin but that’s appropriate?

Some, but not all, swimwear is appropriate for swimming.  The question is not how much "skin" we show, but what constitutes modesty in a given situation.

1 hour ago, Opal said:

In my experience, even naked wouldn't be sufficient to keep one from feeling hot, sweaty, and generally uncomfortable while exercising.  Also in my experience, the body adapts.  My mind tells my body to get over it.  (I suppose a scientist could do a controlled study and show me evidence that garments / clothing of those dimensions make a significant difference, but I doubt they'd find that.)

Nonetheless, I think this is a situation that warrants you deciding what's right for you.  Ponder why we have the garment.  Ponder what's appropriate - not just for you, IMO, but the impression you give as a disciple of Christ and a Latter-day Saint.  Question your own motives to ensue they are appropriate.  Make a decision, take it to the Lord.  Ask him to help you endure the longer shorts or to feel at peace with the shorter ones - whichever.

I keep my garments on when exercising (of course, I exercise in my house (my neighbors are grateful, even if they don't know it), and first thing in the morning).  But that's me (and I have no issue with you being you, whatever that looks like).

Church members who have been clothed with the garment in a temple have taken upon themselves a covenant obligation to wear it according to the instructions given in the endowment. The garment provides a constant reminder of the covenants made in a temple. When properly worn, it provides protection against temptation and evil. Wearing the garment is also an outward expression of an inward commitment to follow the Savior.

Endowed members should wear the temple garment both day and night. They should not remove it, either entirely or partially, to work in the yard or for other activities that can reasonably be done with the garment worn properly beneath the clothing. Nor should they remove it to lounge around the home in swimwear or immodest clothing. When they must remove the garment, such as for swimming, they should put it back on as soon as possible.

Members should not adjust the garment or wear it contrary to instructions in order to accommodate different styles of clothing. Nor should they alter the garment from its authorized design. When two-piece garments are used, both pieces should always be worn.

https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/selected-church-policies?lang=eng#21.1.42

Edited by zil

58 minutes ago, Opal said:

I’m not endowed but when I am endowed I plan to take off my garments while I exercise out of respect for the garment.

What I’m wondering is this: Is it appropriate to wear short shorts and a tank top while exercising?

I know this is a bit of a personal decision but I need some advice and doctrine about this topic.

I should clarify having made the previous comment I did.

I don't think that removing garments to work out is specifically wrong. Particularly related to heat. I remove mine still to do cardio on my own treadmill in my own home. It's a personal decision. I just think the "respect for the garment" thing is bogus.

I have never had a problem with girls wearing "short shorts" and tank tops as long as they're not too tight and sexy.

Just my view.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

I don't know that my practices make any sense to anyone.  So, I completely understand if you don't try to copy me.  I wear or don't wear the garment based on exposing the garment.  We're not supposed to expose the garments.  I don't take that so far as making huge strides to avoid incidental exposure.

I wear a t-shirt rather than a tank top for a workout.  So, I wear my garment top.  If I wear workout shorts for my workout, I wouldn't wear garment pants.  If I wear sweatpants that cover my garments, then I'd wear the garment bottoms too.  I choose my workout clothing to be as modest as possible/practical for the function at hand.  Then I wear or don't wear the garment based on exposure of the garment rather than my skin.

I do find it interesting that so many people complain about heat because they're wearing one or two more square feet of very thin cloth.  A t-shirt vs a tank top?  How on earth does that do anything for heat?  I work out in my yard in the Texas summer.  I find no difference if I were to take my double shirt off vs. a full t-shirt and non-mesh garment shirt.  No difference.  Hot is hot.

15 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I do find it interesting that so many people complain about heat because they're wearing one or two more square feet of very thin cloth.  A t-shirt vs a tank top?  How on earth does that do anything for heat?  I work out in my yard in the Texas summer.  I find no difference if I were to take my double shirt off vs. a full t-shirt and non-mesh garment shirt.  No difference.  Hot is hot.

Filipino tip - where hot is only a few latitudes from hell.  If you think Arabs, you think long flowy robes in the heat of the desert.  You don't think of Arabs wearing tank tops and sunscreen.  So, in the Philippines - where modesty is still a cultural thing - hot is not t-shirt versus tank top.  It's tight vs loose.  So, when working out, loose outfit is cooler than tight outfit.  Unfortunately, this is not practical for men's bottoms or women's tops when you're bouncing up and down.

I have never understood the idea that sweating in the garment is somehow "disrespectful" to it. Why? That's what underwear is for, to absorb sweat and keep the outer clothing clean. How could merely perspiring in the garment be considered disrespectful in any context?

I agree with Carb. It's about exposing the garment, not sweating in it.

EDIT: In no way is this meant as a criticism of @Opal (whose username, fittingly enough, begins with OP). Just in case anyone thought I was trying to sneak a dagger between someone's ribs.

Edited by Vort

On 9/27/2018 at 11:14 AM, The Folk Prophet said:

I should clarify having made the previous comment I did.

I don't think that removing garments to work out is specifically wrong. Particularly related to heat. I remove mine still to do cardio on my own treadmill in my own home. It's a personal decision. I just think the "respect for the garment" thing is bogus.

I have never had a problem with girls wearing "short shorts" and tank tops as long as they're not too tight and sexy.

Just my view.

I personally think that sweating more than average and dirtying up the garments is what I find disrespectful. I'd rather exercise, shower, then put the garments back on.

On 9/27/2018 at 6:40 PM, Carborendum said:

How on earth does that do anything for heat?  I work out in my yard in the Texas summer.  I find no difference if I were to take my double shirt off vs. a full t-shirt and non-mesh garment shirt.  No difference.  Hot is hot.

It's about the breathability of the garment. Tanktops are more breathable then t-shirts. I've tried more breathable fabrics. It might not make a huge difference to you but I can definitely notice a difference. I care a lot about modesty which is why I made the original post in the first place. I don't find being modest in general too constricting. It's only when I'm working out that it becomes an issue. I have to work out right in front of the fans at the gym to try and lower my core temperature.

12 minutes ago, Opal said:

It's about the breathability of the garment. Tanktops are more breathable then t-shirts. I've tried more breathable fabrics. It might not make a huge difference to you but I can definitely notice a difference. I care a lot about modesty which is why I made the original post in the first place. I don't find being modest in general too constricting. It's only when I'm working out that it becomes an issue. I have to work out right in front of the fans at the gym to try and lower my core temperature.

I’m not trying to be snotty; just throwing this out for consideration:

Bare skin is even more breathable than a tank top.

But most of us don’t exercise like the ancient Greeks; because at the end of the day we have decided that *some* modicum of modesty takes precedent over physical comfort. 

Now, individuals might have specific health conditions or different temperature tolerances that might make working out in the garment hazardous.  I respect that.  But for the rest of us, when we’re talking about physical comfort, I think it really is a matter of priorities—either we change our habits to suit the garment, or we change the garment to suit our habits.  

2 hours ago, Opal said:

I personally think that sweating more than average and dirtying up the garments is what I find disrespectful. I'd rather exercise, shower, then put the garments back on.

It's a good thing you didn't live back in pioneer days then.

On 9/27/2018 at 11:16 AM, Opal said:

Is it appropriate to wear short shorts and a tank top while exercising?

There's a part of me that wants to say if you're not endowed yet, have at it. But, then I think to myself that modesty is modesty and should apply the same either way. The next thing that comes to my mind is that I find when anyone is needing to ask about something like this it is by definition questionable.

This is related to the point above. Now it appears the search for justification has begun. I mean, we don't where garments in the bath among other places, but just because we don't wear them in one context doesn't make it right to skip doing so in any other circumstance. It's going to be one of those between you and the Lord issues, but I would suggest that unless the garment is actually in the way of completing the task at hand that it should probably be worn. I will add to this that I wear my garments while exercising and I wear clothes that cover them as I also agree with others that keeping them covered is a very important consideration.

Almost always, yes.

If I chose not to wear garments when I exercise I'd not be wearing them five days of the week because it would be ridiculous for me to constantly change in and out of them throughout the day teaching various fitness classes and working out with clients. Even at that, I have made a far greater mess of my garments sweating while roofing, and getting dust and filth stuck to the sweat working in the deathly heat of an attic or painting my house. It is my choice to wear them at such times because I feel the covenant that I made encompasses wearing them *all* the time with the exceptions being very few and essentially requiring the garments to be removed. I didn't get the sense when making that covenant that if the garments were at risk of getting dirty or that I found them inconvenient that the wearing of them became optional.

Take that for what you will, it's simply my thoughts that you asked for and not meant to be a judgment against anyone else.

I wear the garments to exercise but...I would take the garment commitment one step at a time. If you really feel that you cannot take wearing a t shirt to exercise then just wear the tank top and don’t wear the garment. But...you will likely find that your attitudes to all kinds of things change once you are endowed. So don’t go buy new tank tops and try the tshirt maybe just once. 

When I started wearing garments, I could feel the Spirit whisper not to get discouraged and just try one step at a time. I had female issues to work out. I worked the issues out. Have faith and patience. We are here. You may also have some wrinkles to work out. Just post them here. We can help! 

I should also add to my above remarks that I realize you're not specifically asking about wearing garments yet, but asking about wearing clothes that would not cover the garment. I think an important step in preparation to wearing the garments is to already be wearing clothes that will cover them so you don't have a dramatic change requiring to get an entirely new wardrobe and possibly resenting the garment which should be a blessing and not a curse. I remember in preparation for wearing mine I started wearing undershirts all the time to get used to always having that extra layer and ensure that my shirts would cover the undergarment.

I will have to make one concession in my argument.  In Houston there are MANY days where it is hot, humid, and absent of any breeze.  "Breathability" simply is not a variable.  So, I guess I can see how it would have an effect on others in different climates.

At the same time, I'd argue that if we in Houston simply "put up with it" why wouldn't others?  The only difference I see is that we don't really have a choice.  But others do have a choice in the clothing they wear or don't wear.  I find that interesting.