A question about modesty and exercising

Opal

STATEMENT: "I don't like to wear the garment when it's hot. I prefer to take it off and go without."
RESPONSE: "Whatever."

STATEMENT: "I don't like to wear the garment when it's hot. I want everyone to acknowledge this as a righteous choice."
RESPONSE: "Now, wait a minute..."

See the difference?

11 minutes ago, jerome1232 said:

I have to say I just don't get the "garments are too hot" thing.

I live in a place with high of around 115 degree summer temps. I live in a hot place. I've also lived in Phoenix Arizona and while it was a little bit hotter there, it wasn't much hotter.

I wear garments, long pants almost every day, and occasionally I've even worn long sleeved shirts during the summer. While I work indoors, I work in a huge distribution center, it is not cooled by a/c and it gets hot in there, particularly as you get close to the roof in equipment. I sweat a lot at work. What I do (did, I work in the office now, with an a/c, it's nice) is fairly difficult manual labor. The thought never crossed my mind to remove my garments for this sweaty 12 hour workday of mine.

Personally I'd just work out in a loose shirt and shorts. Wear the nylon mesh garments if you like, they are fantastic for sweaty situations. They are barely there!

Some more pro-tips:

Humidity makes 90 feel like 110.

Nylon mesh is great in Colorado - no humidity - killer in Florida - high humidity.  Yes, it doesn't make sense at first blush because Nylon-mesh is light and breezy.  But, from experience, this is great in Colorado where sweat dries lickity-split.  Killer in Florida because the nylon is water-repellent so with the high humidity you just stay wet and chaffy and irritating.

So, in heat+humidity situations, loose cotton garments are more comfy.  They absorb sweat and stays cooler.

@Opal

Hi! You are authorized to take them off while exercising. My wife and I use ours 24/7 when we are romantic we simply wash up when we are ready and jump back in our armor. I love wearing mine and use them if not swimming. To me it's just what I like to do and yes even when I visit Arizona.

18 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Some more pro-tips:

Humidity makes 90 feel like 110.

Nylon mesh is great in Colorado - no humidity - killer in Florida - high humidity.  Yes, it doesn't make sense at first blush because Nylon-mesh is light and breezy.  But, from experience, this is great in Colorado where sweat dries lickity-split.  Killer in Florida because the nylon is water-repellent so with the high humidity you just stay wet and chaffy and irritating.

So, in heat+humidity situations, loose cotton garments are more comfy.  They absorb sweat and stays cooler.

Adimittly I do live in a dry area however I do recognize that humidity sucks! I am surprised about you perfering cotton in high humidity, I actually found it, as you stated, absorbed sweat. But I also found that it held onto the sweat and just turned into a damp swamp in unsavory places.

Maybe when I visit a high humidity place myself I'll have to put your words to the test and see what I think.

Edited by jerome1232

4 minutes ago, jerome1232 said:

Adimittly I do live in a dry area however I do recognize that humidity sucks! I am surprised about you perfering cotton in high humidity, I actually found it, as you stated, absorbed sweat. But I also found that it held onto the sweat and just turned into a damp swap in unsavory places.

Maybe when I visit a high humidity place myself I'll have to put your words to the test and see what I think.

Not related to cotton, but: When I was on my mission (in the Philippines) about half way through I learned that wearing long sleeved shirts instead of the standard short sleeves that all other missionaries wore, was SO much more comfortable. Why? It absorbed the sweat and dried out. Much nicer than the sticky arms sticking to the back pack, etc.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

2 minutes ago, jerome1232 said:

Adimittly I do live in a dry area however I do recognize that humidity sucks! I am surprised about you perfering cotton in high humidity, I actually found it, as you stated, absorbed sweat. But I also found that it held onto the sweat and just turned into a damp swamp in unsavory places.

When you're in a high humidity place, wet doesn't become dry... so you have 2 choices - wet on your body or wet on your clothes.  The reason you have underwear is so that something absorbs the fluids from your body so it doesn't end up on your outer clothing.  When your underwear repels the fluids instead, it stays on your body causing it to remain hot as well as causing chaffing and rashes and stink.

I think it depends what kind of exercise you're going to perform.  At the end it's your choice to do whatever you want, and whatever feels right in your heart.

I sometimes wear the garment when exercising, some other times I only wear the bottom part. But as soon as I'm done taking a shower I put them back on. I don't go walking around to run errands without garments, some members like doing that after working out...

Edited by Chilean

When you're in a high humidity place, wet doesn't become dry... so you have 2 choices - wet on your body or wet on your clothes.  The reason you have underwear is so that something absorbs the fluids from your body so it doesn't end up on your outer clothing.  When your underwear repels the fluids instead, it stays on your body causing it to remain hot as well as causing chaffing and rashes and stink.

Explained that way, I can understand it.

I guess it makes sense, many men, even non-latter-day saints choose to wear a cotton undershirt for the same reasons. 

Edit: I realized it was confusing who I was responding too sans quote, but I can't for the life of me figure out how I'm supposed to quote a specific person in edit mode. I don't even see a way to view as plain text and write the bbc code for the quote like we used to be able to.

Edited by jerome1232

Just now, Overwatch said:

Approved by church leaders.

Do you understand or believe that one could have "approval" from church leaders and still have disapproval from God?

1 minute ago, Overwatch said:

You are not breaking your covenants by removing during exercise.

This statement by itself is misleading and incomplete.

You most certainly CAN break your covenants by removing them during exercise if the motivation for doing so is unrighteous.

Wow, so many opinions.

I guess I'll throw mine in.

If you are trying to justify wearing a tank-top and short shorts because you think you look good in them, then I would say that isn't good justification.  Showing skin to get attention is not what we should be about.  If however, it is just of convenience of exercise, then go for it.

You need to figure out your motives and decide if they are in tune with what your father in heaven would have you do.

Guest MormonGator

I think some of us are missing the bigger issue. That the OP even wants to wear garments is a HUGE positive and one we should all be proud of. Many, many people just say "Eh, I'm not going to wear garments for this or that reason." @Opal, you are to be commended for all the thought your put into this issue. 

ultimately this is between you and the lord, if i was in your position i would take it to him. personally i cant wait to be able to wear garments and i plan on wearing them all the time once endowed, even when i hike in the Arizona summers.

On 9/27/2018 at 12:16 PM, Opal said:

I’m not endowed but when I am endowed I plan to take off my garments while I exercise out of respect for the garment.

What I’m wondering is this: Is it appropriate to wear short shorts and a tank top while exercising?

I live in Arizona and getting my heart rate up makes me feel too hot to bear.

Typical workout clothing is not breathable enough fabric to me.

I know this is a bit of a personal decision but I need some advice and doctrine about this topic.

When we swim we wear swimsuits that show off a lot of skin but that’s appropriate?

Is wearing short shorts and a tank top while exercising still inappropriate?

Should I err on the side of caution?

Let me know your thoughts.

I am not the type of person who goes around quoting scripture. However, in the beginning, shortly after the fall of mankind (you are likely aware) God called out to Adam, he hid himself. He did what he could to cover his nakedness in some sort of sinful shameful state. We were all borne without clothes on our bodies. The point I am trying to make is "if you wear a modest dress or an exercise outfit, or a swimsuit, God sees you as you are" from the heart. The general public might see you from a sinful state they reside in. It's not your fault others reside in that sinful place in their heart. If they lust anything dark, it is in their heart, not yours.

You have my Blessings

Styln

4 minutes ago, Styln said:

I am not the type of person who goes around quoting scripture. However, in the beginning, shortly after the fall of mankind (you are likely aware) God called out to Adam, he hid himself. He did what he could to cover his nakedness in some sort of sinful shameful state. We were all borne without clothes on our bodies. The point I am trying to make is "if you wear a modest dress or an exercise outfit, or a swimsuit, God sees you as you are" from the heart. The general public might see you from a sinful state they reside in. It's not your fault others reside in that sinful place in their heart. If they lust anything dark, it is in their heart, not yours.

You have my Blessings

Styln

Why do modesty discussions always have to turn to this, it's not always about others.

Modesty is about respect for your body, it's sacred nature, and that it isn't for everyone's eyes. My that sounds like we are talking about a temple, I wonder why.

47 minutes ago, Styln said:

The general public might see you from a sinful state they reside in. It's not your fault others reside in that sinful place in their heart. If they lust anything dark, it is in their heart, not yours.

The mantra of strippers everywhere!

51 minutes ago, jerome1232 said:

Why do modesty discussions always have to turn to this, it's not always about others.

Modesty is about respect for your body, it's sacred nature, and that it isn't for everyone's eyes. My that sounds like we are talking about a temple, I wonder why.

I don't know why. I have never participated in a discussion of such content.

Styln

3 minutes ago, Styln said:

I don't know why. I have never participated in a discussion of such content.

Styln

I just realized that you aren't a Latter-day Saint, If my comment seemed rude I apologize. I tend to use sarcasm when I shouldn't and I forget how it can come off as.

We believe our bodies are God's temple. Our bodies are sacred, It's just a peeve of mine that many shrug off modesty standards as being all about not tempting the opposite sex when I believe it's so much more than that. Our bodies are sacred gifts from God and are to be respected. You just happened to land on something that people say that bugs me sometimes.

3 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Do you understand or believe that one could have "approval" from church leaders and still have disapproval from God?

This statement by itself is misleading and incomplete.

You most certainly CAN break your covenants by removing them during exercise if the motivation for doing so is unrighteous.

The church has not defined a specific set of workout activities that you can or cannot take them off. My Bishop told me I could take them off during sports. I asked him if I could keep them on and he said "of course". You accusing me of being misleading is inappropriate and you owe me an apology. 

3 hours ago, Chilean said:

I think it depends what kind of exercise you're going to perform.  At the end it's your choice to do whatever you want, and whatever feels right in your heart.

I sometimes wear the garment when exercising, some other times I only wear the bottom part. But as soon as I'm done taking a shower I put them back on. I don't go walking around to run errands without garments, some members like doing that after working out...

^This. I agree with your method.

5 minutes ago, Overwatch said:

The church has not defined a specific set of workout activities that you can or cannot take them off.

I didn't say they have.

5 minutes ago, Overwatch said:

My Bishop told me I could take them off during sports. 

You can. Never said you can't, or even implied you shouldn't.

You don't seem to be following what I did say very well.

10 minutes ago, Overwatch said:

You accusing me of being misleading is inappropriate and you owe me an apology. 

I did not accuse you of being misleading, I accused your statement of being misleading, because it was -- which I then explained exactly why and what I meant. You didn't address that. Would you care to? Do you believe that two people can remove their garments for the exact same activity and one is breaking their covenant and the other is keeping theirs?

I accused neither you nor your statement of being "inappropriate". Maybe read a bit closer, this time with your indignation in check?

1 hour ago, jerome1232 said:

I just realized that you aren't a Latter-day Saint, If my comment seemed rude I apologize. I tend to use sarcasm when I shouldn't and I forget how it can come off as.

We believe our bodies are God's temple. Our bodies are sacred, It's just a peeve of mine that many shrug off modesty standards as being all about not tempting the opposite sex when I believe it's so much more than that. Our bodies are sacred gifts from God and are to be respected. You just happened to land on something that people say that bugs me sometimes.

No offense taken to any sarcasm or intent of discourse. I am a visitor in this place. I must respect the LDS teachings and members here. Although I do not completely agree with your views, I do share the intent to be pure, Spiritually speaking of course, not in the flesh. I realize my corrupt flesh will go to the ground and that is a matter of sinful nature whereby mankind fell in the garden. However, trust & Faith in Christ, my spirit prevails in eternity, hopefully. 

Styln

🙋‍♂️

Can I say something???

The Church was totally ok with me biking 5-10 hours a day in the 90 degree humid and the idea that it was disrespectful to the garments never once even crossed anyone’s mind...

🤷‍♂️

So I guess I’m a little confused when I see people justifying taking their garments off out of “respect” for an hour work out.

5 hours ago, Styln said:

No offense taken to any sarcasm or intent of discourse. I am a visitor in this place. I must respect the LDS teachings and members here. Although I do not completely agree with your views, I do share the intent to be pure, Spiritually speaking of course, not in the flesh. I realize my corrupt flesh will go to the ground and that is a matter of sinful nature whereby mankind fell in the garden. However, trust & Faith in Christ, my spirit prevails in eternity, hopefully. 

Styln

Hopefully this isn't too off topic, but that almost sounds like you don't believe in a literal resurrection, is that your belief? I'm not familiar with Mennonite belief's. Forgive me if I am mistaken about your religion, I'm on mobile and it doesn't display it next to your name like it does on a computer so I am going off of memory.

Edited by jerome1232