Virtual Marriage

Lost Boy

Legally speaking, if the other legal niceties have been observed, including securing a marriage license . . . Why not?  I imagine the person solemnizing the marriage would have to be in the same state that issued the marriage license; but I suppose the two parties could probably be wherever the officiator was OK with them being.  The key is just that the officiator has to be willing to sign the marriage certificate and return it to the vital records bureau.

Obviously this may vary from state to state; but AFAIK my jurisdiction has no explicit bar on the parties participating virtually (phone, videoconference) versus in-person. 

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Shouldn't be something people are able to do.

I met my 1st husband online... ha! We lasted 7 1/2 years married (cause he got silly). My sister actually also met her husband online, and they're still married (like 12 years I think)

It is possible for people to develop romantic feelings for people whom you have never met personally. I did. and I've met other people who also have. BUT as I look back I think: What the heck was I thinking?? haha I wouldn't do it again, and I would discourage my kids from doing it, just because you cant really get to know someone online, even when you're talking all the time. There are just every day situations that you have to experience with someone by being together  at the same time in the same place.

So... Online marriage... is stupid.

Edited by Chilean

50 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Y’know, it did just occur to me that the return of marriage usually requires the signature of the married parties as well.  

Hmm.

But electronic "signatures" of clicking a box and typing your name are legally valid, correct? Could that be extended somehow to signing the marriage documentation?

1 hour ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Legally speaking, if the other legal niceties have been observed, including securing a marriage license . . . Why not?  I imagine the person solemnizing the marriage would have to be in the same state that issued the marriage license; but I suppose the two parties could probably be wherever the officiator was OK with them being.  The key is just that the officiator has to be willing to sign the marriage certificate and return it to the vital records bureau.

Obviously this may vary from state to state; but AFAIK my jurisdiction has no explicit bar on the parties participating virtually (phone, videoconference) versus in-person. 

This would be possible in India but I’m thinking, US law would require them to at least have personal, physical knowledge of each other.  For example, in Florida, you are required to attend pre-marriage counseling together before you are issued a license.  Also, immigration sponsorship will go through interviews with possible questions being... “what’s the color of his toothbrush” and the like.

1 hour ago, SilentOne said:

But electronic "signatures" of clicking a box and typing your name are legally valid, correct? Could that be extended somehow to signing the marriage documentation?

Only if there was a law establishing the rules whereby an electronic signature could be considered equivalent to a handwritten signature.  (E.g. 21 CFR Part 11 allows people to electronically sign records required by FDA (unless the law about a particular record explicitly forbids electronic signatures), and establishes the requirements for a valid electronic signature.  I assume something similar would be required before a government could accept an electronic signature anywhere.)

13 minutes ago, zil said:

Only if there was a law establishing the rules whereby an electronic signature could be considered equivalent to a handwritten signature.  (E.g. 21 CFR Part 11 allows people to electronically sign records required by FDA (unless the law about a particular record explicitly forbids electronic signatures), and establishes the requirements for a valid electronic signature.  I assume something similar would be required before a government could accept an electronic signature anywhere.)

I don’t understand.  I thought the CFR says it has to be signed with a fountain pen?  

Legally speaking, if the other legal niceties have been observed, including securing a marriage license . . . Why not?

I don't want to start an immigration debate, I wonder how this would work immigration wise?  

Right now, unless a marriage is proved fraudulent, or if there is a past criminal history, or past immigration violation, spouses who marry a US citizens are granted green cards.