Thinking About Coming Back

BlondeMormonBoyAdam

Hi there,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Adam and I am 34. I grew up in Florida and was baptized when I was 22 but fell away from the church 5 years after my baptism and since then I've been building my career and moved to Cali. Was curious if anyone suggests I should return to church? Or am I too old to return? And why or why not would you suggest it? 

Just wanted some input since i've been pondering it alot and still have my BOM and bible and everything but not sure if I should based on my age and since I was inactive for so long and believe they removed my records because Ive been so inactive.

Thank you and it's lovely to meet you all!

I agree, it's never too late to return, but don't put it off.  The Gospel is a way of life that positively impacts the quality of your life and  every major decision you make.  The only things we take with us when we die are our relationships and our knowledge. The earlier you return, the more time you have to learn and grow.

Alma 34:32 For behold, this alife is the time for men to bprepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of cthis life is the day for men to perform their dlabors.

Hi, from one who has returned I can say it was a whole lot easier than I expected. I am older than you and had been inactive for a while longer than you, but was very much welcomed into my new ward and feel very much at home.

I never lost my testimony of the gospel, but lost faith in my ability to live according to my covenants; which now sounds rather daft.

The hardest part was walking back into a chapel and forgiving myself.

Best of luck  and if you need some virtual hand holding I am here for you.

On 9/30/2018 at 10:34 AM, BlondeMormonBoyAdam said:

Was curious if anyone suggests I should return to church?

Yes. i would absolutely recommend it. I imagine most forum members would as well.

Or am I too old to return?

Not a chance. This life is the time for God's children to prepare for the eternities. It's not over till it's over, and at 34 you hopefully have more than half your life left to live.

why or why not would you suggest it? 

First and foremost because you are missing out on blessings. Not all blessings are for the hereafter, but several for the here and now. 

Just wanted some input since i've been pondering it alot and still have my BOM and bible and everything but not sure if I should based on my age and since I was inactive for so long and believe they removed my records because Ive been so inactive.

I can't help but think the fact you've been pondering it a lot isn't an indication of your spirit knowing what's right and trying to convey to your mortal mind what you need to do. Unless you've requested your membership be removed you are almost surely still on the church records. Records are only removed by request and excommunication, so I suspect you'd know if they were. Satan is more than happy to put doubts in your mind and use things like your age and status in life against you, but remember that Jesus suffered for us because we are not perfect and we need Him to save us. We show our love for Him by keeping His commandments and we are promised blessings for keeping our covenants.

Please feel free to reach out to us here with any questions that you may have, but also be aware that your local ward or branch will be happy to help you understand the importance of returning to the fold and how much you can help others as well.

Might I suggest contacting the missionaries at https://www.mormon.org/missionaries and letting them help you find your local congregation and work with your ward missionaries to have a group of brothers and sisters who can offer not only advice, but real support physically, mentally and emotionally.

All the best, and welcome to the forums.

Edited by SpiritDragon

Well, I left after a devastating breakup and felt too much pain/hurt after it ended and felt that I needed to mend myself by being away from the church since it was my ex-gf that introduced me to it and her brother along with her family and missionaries that baptized me. After 4 years of being in the church I did however have my name removed from the records. What would happen now if I decided to come back?

On 10/2/2018 at 10:46 PM, BlondeMormonBoyAdam said:

Well, I left after a devastating breakup and felt too much pain/hurt after it ended and felt that I needed to mend myself by being away from the church since it was my ex-gf that introduced me to it and her brother along with her family and missionaries that baptized me. After 4 years of being in the church I did however have my name removed from the records. What would happen now if I decided to come back?

I'd venture to say your local Bishop will know all the details, but the short answer is that there's always a way back.

On 10/2/2018 at 8:46 PM, BlondeMormonBoyAdam said:

You'd be welcomed with open arms.  Just walk through the door.

If you do decide to rejoin formally, you'll be once again baptized, same process as before.