Dealing with a screaming child at church.

Lost Boy

A sacrament or two ago my 9 year old son actually remarked on the *absence* of screaming babies and how weird it was. Fortunately moments after he spoke a baby relieved of us of the burden of silence. We both shared a quiet giggle at that.

I don't think there's any good way to approach it. If it's a pattern then it needs to addressed.  A one time thing, well you had your bad experience and now it's over. As a parent I know what's it like to just want to be in sacrament but I can't because my child always screams so here I am all alone it out in the foyer sunday after sunday, on top of whatever other stresses they are dealing with... what should be their weekly spiritual break isn't. I guess I just emphasize *a lot* with parents dealing with difficult kids. But if there's 4 adults one child, are they new? Are they just not aware that usually people take screaming children out? Investigators? Something of that nature?

5 minutes ago, zil said:

What kind of weird ward do you live in?  We have people who are permanent fixtures in the foyer.  If they came into the chapel, the bishop would probably have a heart attack.  (And no, they don't have kids.)

A California ward? About the only population in the foyer is all of us late comers that didn't make it before sacrament has started to get passed. Or the occasional child wandering the halls with a parent.

I may have been a tad bit theatrical with the description, but I do remember it being difficult with our first child, a difficult child, trying to feel a part of the ward when we had to take him out of meetings constantly pre-nursery. I do remember feeling alone in our struggle with our kids, seeing other families with their perfectly still kids and wondering what was wrong with us etc... On top of other stresses. My heart just reaches out to parents struggling with their kids I guess.