Editorial: General Conference is About to Separate the Wheat From the Tares

General Conference is coming up this weekend, and the cup of rumors about the "big announcement" definitely runneth over. Maybe it's a two-hour block, maybe singles wards are getting the ax, maybe China is opening up to missionary work, the speculation goes on and on (and it sure is fun). I don't know exactly what's going to happen at General Conference, but I do have a general theory I'm going to run by you. Share your thoughts on it in the comments section, because I'd love to hear 'em. Here we go: A note on becoming (and then my prediction) https://www.instagram.com/p/BoY_lxngS8b/?tagged=generalconference We Latter-day Saints often get caught up in the "doing" of the gospel. We do our home teaching (well, we used to), we pay tithing, we go to church, and we hold the meetings we have to hold. But these "commandments," like all commandments, are much more than checks on a list. They're not just there to instill guilt when we fall short, and our motivation for obeying them should...

View the full article

There's a flaw in the theory in my opinion. Home teaching was never, ever a "rule" in any way similar to the Mosaic law. Didn't do your home teaching? What was the consequence? Any different at all than not doing your ministering?

Yeah...I don't buy it. We are, have been, and will continue to be a gospel of obedience. We're already living the higher law that Christ brought. The idea that home teaching was a lower law and now ministering is a higher law... I don't buy it. Nor do I buy that anyone who faithfully did their home teaching has now slacked off because ministering isn't as structured. Maybe one in million. But those who were faithful didn't suddenly abandon faithfulness because of the change.

So yes, I think we may see some separating the wheat from the tares. But I don't think it will be through the easing of programs. If we see easing of programs it will be, in my opinion, to help people re-focus/re-think about what these programs exist for. The point of home teaching was to minister. Renaming it ministering points to that more directly.

I also consider this paragraph...

"As the Meridian of Time moved ever closer, the Jews of ancient Jerusalem became more and more focused on the “doing” part of the commandments. When Christ came on the scene, He ushered in the higher law. He emphasized being good rather than just doing good. Most people freaked out. “What about our precious rules and traditions?!” For others, the message resonated and they embraced it."

...mistaken in several regards. The law of Moses was always focused more on doing (but to the end of being), and the "higher" law had more "doing" if anything -- a la turn the other cheek (doing), walk a second mile (doing), give your coat also (doing), etc., etc.

The Jews (particularly the Pharisees, Sadducee, Scribes, etc.) didn't have the problem of being too focused on doing. They had the problem of being too focused on doing the wrong things...things they made up and then prioritized over doing the things of God.

Moreover -- we "be" good by doing. To separate the two is flawed.

Ministering doesn't take away the importance of "doing" in any regard. If anything, it puts more focus on the doing.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

I found some wisdom here.

One thought.  We aren’t asked to become so that we’ll be “comfortable” in the presence of Deity.  We are invited to become so that when we’re invited by Deity to join them in their work (which is difficult and often thankless), what we have become will allow us to accept that invitation.