Predictions for General Conference

pam

These are my predictions for announcements to be made this coming weekend of General Conference:

1.  Change to a 2 hour block

2.  Missionaries in Mainland China

3.  No more temple marriages. Sealings after a civil ceremony only.

We'll see what happens.  :)  

10 minutes ago, Maureen said:

Please explain this statement. What has Ireland got to do with it?

M.

One of Ireland's rules at one time was that the ceremony had to take place in a publicly accessible place but...there may have been exceptions but...I don't think there is a temple in Ireland anyway so...church building would have been publicly accessible anyway...shaggy dog story basically.

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

People always dream.  But for things to be remotely this rampant?  Twice: Spring 2018 and Fall 2018.  

Thanks @Jane_Doe. In my four years in the church I've never seen this much speculation and gossip about a general conference. Part of my hopes nothing changes at all just to see the reaction of everyone who predicted so many changes. 

2 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Thanks @Jane_Doe. In my four years in the church I've never seen this much speculation and gossip about a general conference. Part of my hopes nothing changes at all just to see the reaction of everyone who predicted so many changes. 

President Nelson really stirred the pot in April. Very fun times in the Church now.

3 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Haha.  I'm inclined to agree.  For me, here's my predictions:

- There will be a couple of sermons on Christ, temples, ministering, and repentance. 

Admittedly, I would be thrilled for the policy change of allowing US couples to not have to wait a year between civil marriage / sealing.  But I'm not remotely holding my breath.  Honestly, the thing I need to hear the most right now is a fantastic talk on God bearing our burdens with us.  

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Jane_Doe said:

Haha.  I'm inclined to agree.  For me, here's my predictions:

- There will be a couple of sermons on Christ, temples, ministering, and repentance. 

Admittedly, I would be thrilled for the policy change of allowing US couples to not have to wait a year between civil marriage / sealing.  But I'm not remotely holding my breath.  Honestly, the thing I need to hear the most right now is a fantastic talk on God bearing our burdens with us.  

My predictions? 

Announcement that @mirkwood has been excommunicated, and that @MormonGator is the latest apostle. 

You are welcome, LDS. Your prayers have been answered. 

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

Lifelong members: How often do you hear rumors like this about General Conference? 

Well considering that the social media rumor mill is a relatively (relatively) new thing in the world, one would not expect the same level of rumors when I was young. Facebook only started in 2006, for example. So in the 80s and 90s, rumors had to spread via old fashioned telephone/church lobby gossip.

That being said, the rumors seem stronger this round. But they've certainly been around for many a year (exaggerated by social media now-a-days).

But I think partly why this conference is heavier on the rumor thing is because: A. Big changes occurred last conference immediately after getting a new President. B. Apostles have openly said more changes are coming.

It seems highly likely that changes will happen. That easily turns into speculation, some of it likely and reasonable, and some of it wild. With the big changes last conference, we may seem some "wild" things happen though...so it gives the rumor-mongers "license" to consider their wild speculations even more likely.

My predictions would be the same as they have been recently.

At least one talk addressing going to the Temple (more often) regularly, and at least one talk about studying the scriptures (more often).*

*Note, there may be MORE than one talk on these topics.

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

Lifelong members: How often do you hear rumors like this about General Conference? 

Not a lifelong member, but I have been a member longer than many have been alive.

:)

I haven't seen rumors about policy changes this prevalent or crazy since...well...ever in my memory (granted, my memory is not as great as it used to be).

Edited by JohnsonJones

2 hour church 
Temple Marriage to just sealing
Lots of temples announced
Removal of stake auxiliaries
Changes with missionary work
Focus on in home family study
Focus on temple work
Smaller wards and stakes

My big shocker: Halloween celebration banned. 

The other reason changes are expected is because a pattern has been set beyond last Apr Gen Conf.  There have been several changes since then - dropping scouts, church name reference, policy on interviews, update to Preach My Gospel, new curriculum, new history book released, no more paper mission calls, etc...

Change is happening.

I agree with Gator though...it would be awesome if nothing new was announce in General Conference. I would, honestly, laugh.

3 hours ago, MormonGator said:

I'm not a lifelong member, but nearly 1/2 my life (and probably longer than a lot of the young un's) .... and most I've ever heard is wish upon wish a nearby temple would be named.

I'm guessing that yet again, they will start with an opening prayer. And probably each session will finish with a closing prayer.I don't think that even President Nelson is at the point yet where he wants to start with the closing prayer. And there will probably be some singing and talking in-between the prayers, and maybe, by some, during the prayers. 

And wouldn't it be a lovely break with tradition if the prayers were said by ordinary members, or better yet, a child youth or Young Adult.