More Fun with Words

zil

I got a spam email today from "Concealed Ankle Holster" and a subject line suggesting I could get one for free.  My thought was: why would anyone want one free sock?

(Spam email, even though I only read the subject and sender "name", can be a good source for learning how not to use language. ;) )

Please share your fun (whether from spam or elsewhere). :)

19 minutes ago, Vort said:

You read your spam?!

I get plenty of entertainment from reading discussion forums...

When I'm at work, I use a webmail client to access my personal email, therefore, the spam is in the inbox with all the good stuff.  Therefore, yes, I read the sender name and subject to determine if I should delete it or read it.  (At home, Thunderbird does a fabulous job of just tossing it in the junk folder and I never go there unless I have a reason to suspect that a desired email has been erroneously junked.)

But come on, making fun of "Concealed Ankle Holster" was worth it.

Sometimes I think it would be fun to attempt to string together the sender names and subjects into sentences and make a story.  But when I try, I end up with outsourcing sales agents with high blood pressure looking for Asian (or sometimes Russian) women, and that's just not a story I want to extend.

18 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

My university had no spam filter for about a year.  During that time, I discovered that there are many opportunities to change the dimensions of one part of the anatomy. Quite a revelation! 

I took a peak on my spam the other day and from on of the titles I learned there were Russian women in my area interested in dating...

Well I do door to door sales and have yet to come across any Russian women. I’m not interested in dating, but I’m just curious where they are all at. It is honestly pretty concerning 😕

Edited by Fether

22 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

My university had no spam filter for about a year.  During that time, I discovered that there are many opportunities to change the dimensions of one part of the anatomy. Quite a revelation! 

21 hours ago, Fether said:

I took a peak on my spam the other day and from on of the titles I learned there were Russian women in my area interested in dating...

Well I do door to door sales and have yet to come across any Russian women. I’m not interested in dating, but I’m just curious where they are all at. It is honestly pretty concerning 😕

I actually have a separate email specifically designed for spam.  When I buy something from a new location online, I use that email.  

That also means that whenever I buy something new, I have to check that email.  And... Yeah... a lot of the same thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Today's word comes from a slight weekend panic about prerequisites. Let us parse... "pre" is a prefix (hee hee) meaning "before".  "re" is a prefix meaning "again".  I'm not sure what a "quisite" is, but how do you do one again before?  Or am I supposed to do it before I do it again?  If that were the case, why not just say requisite, which implies first quisiting and then requisiting? If that were what they meant, the "pre" would be redundant.  Maybe I'm supposed to quisite, then do something else, then requisite?  Before you again quisite?  This seems more reasonable and less redundant.  But then what exactly am I supposed to do between my two episodes of quisiting?

Maybe someone should quit letting these weird words into our language...

(Yes, I'm aware the "re" in this case isn't "again".  Get off my lawn, party pooper!)