How do you watch General Conference? What snacks do you eat?

Guest MormonGator

Guest MormonGator

Light hearted thread-what snacks do you eat during General Conference? Do you have friends over? Do you use the computer while watching? Are your pets near you? Do you watch at the ward building? 

All of the above over the years. I've watched conference on my computer, I've gone to friends places and had friends/family over. I've watched at church buildings, I've caught up later because I had to work. I've had a cat snuggled on my lap, but currently have no pets.

As far as eating goes conference often lands on Thanksgiving weekend for those of us who are Canadian and so I expect I'll be eating a turkey sandwich with leftover pumpkin pie at some point Sunday, but I can't say for sure that it will be during the conference. I tend not to eat while watching conference as it seems a little disrespectful from my perspective, but I have on occasion grabbed some munchies because I was really hungry and/or falling asleep. Staying awake through conference has always been a challenge for me. It's just so conducive to putting me to sleep, not because the content isn't interesting, but the reverent tone and the fact that I'm just sitting there not up and doing while my mind is not racing thinking of everything else that I need to get done is a recipe for sleep.

I think I watched at church buildings for general sessions when I was very young, and I've been to the Conference Center or Tabernacle a handful of times, but mostly I've watched at home, relatives' houses, or friends' places. I avoid eating or using the computer during sessions because I find them distracting and because I like to take notes during the sessions, which is slightly more difficult when one hand is occupied with moving food from bowl, plate, or bag to mouth.

Normally I watch at home, either via streaming or BYU TV. 

I generally have one or more newspapers out in front of me to read so that I can stay awake. If I get caught up on the newspapers I have, then I move on to something else. 

Guest LiterateParakeet

Snacking during conference was a lot more fun before I changed my diet, LOL I'm not complaining though.   I'll be watching at home with my family.  My family will be munching on all sorts of finger foods, mostly unhealthy ones.  :)  I will be doing my sketchnotes....graphic recording.  

Pets?  I don't know if my dog will join us, the guinea pigs only care about food...there is a reason they are called "pigs".  :)  But now that you mention it, the bearded dragon, Leo, would probably enjoy sitting on my chest and watching.  So yeah, Leo will be there.  I can't speak for the other animals though.  

Will be watching in the chapel (our ward is the stake centre and so travelling not an issue). RS having a breakfast and looks like a fiar number of sisters attending.  I am giving lifts to a number of singletons to the chapel so we don't all sit home alone.  I would invite people over but dont have entertaining space and we would struggle to watch from my laptop.  Think I may have to go shopping for a picnic so we can have a nice lunch together

Here in the great southern land we get a delayed satellite broadcast one week after the event, beamed into the stake house. For the Saturday morning and Saturday afternoon sessions we get about 40 - 50 people attending, about 20 or more of whom are missionaries. For the Priesthood session we'll get about 60. For Sunday morning, we'll get between  1/2 and 2/3rds of what we get for Stake Conference, and then for the Sunday afternoon session its down to 30 - 40, with about half of them being missionaries. People dress and behave as if they are at a Stake Conference. Numbers have declined over the years as internet speeds and connectivity have improved. I don't get as much out of watching when I just do it online at home, it doesn't feel the same for me.