The 11 Most Interesting Things About LDS Temples You Might Not Have Known

Temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints serve as important symbols for the worldwide Church. Many temples sit on hilltops and mountains, overlooking the valleys they serve and providing beacons of light and faith to millions of Latter-day Saints. Every day, Latter-day Saints gather in to worship Christ and serve both the living and the dead. Latter-day Saints treat the ordinances performed inside the temple as sacred rather than secret, as these ordinances are among the highest and most important performed within the Church. That said, there are many things about LDS temples that you might not have known. Here is my completely subjective list of the 11 most interesting things about LDS temples. 11. You Don't Need a Temple Recommend to Go Inside That's right, I said it. A temple recommend is not required to go inside—that is, up to a certain point. You do need a temple recommend to get past the front desk and enjoy all the blessings of the temple, but every temple has a...

View the full article

On 10/5/2018 at 7:16 PM, Just_A_Guy said:

The article says Moroni always faces east.  This is *usually*, but not *always*, true.  See, e.g., the Nauvoo temple, in which Moroni faces west.

Or the Seattle temple. The official story is that Bellevue hadn't been built up like it is now, so President Kimball said, "let him face the people". Unofficially, I think he's turning his back to @Vort.

(am i doing this right, @MormonGator?)

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the open house in the parking lot tent when the lightening struck the Oquirrh Mountain temple.   I have before and after photos of the statue to prove it.  The storm was so loud you couldn't hear the video presentation, or even talk to your neighbor.   Inside the temple, it was quiet and peaceful.  The Temple literally and figuratively is the calm within the storm.