New 2 hour block to start in January 2019

pam

As was just announced, Sunday schedules will change to a 2 hour block.

Sacrament meeting will be 60 minutes and will focus on the Savior and the Sacrament.

Classes will be 50 minute and will alternate each week.

Sunday School will be the 1st and 3rd Sunday.

All other organizations besides Primary will be the 2nd and 4th Sunday.  Primary will meet each Sunday.

5th Sunday under the direction of the local leader.  

27 minutes ago, zil said:

Thank you. That FAQ page is really helpful.

16 minutes ago, SpiritDragon said:

I'm curious if this will do away with the "Teaching in the Saviour's Way" classes, or if they will also alternate Sundays to accommodate when teachers are not teaching?

See #10 on the FAQs page from the link zil posted.

3 hours ago, pam said:

I don't want to say " I told you so" to those that thought I was crazy to even suggest that they would announce this.  

Pam you need a big "I told you so" with a side order of smug ;) 

Any predictions for the pm session....or do we need time to calm down again?

6 hours ago, KScience said:

Pam you need a big "I told you so" with a side order of smug ;) 

Any predictions for the pm session....or do we need time to calm down again?

I still have 2 more predictions but these 2 are only predictions.  The 2 hour block I knew about officially.  Just not how the structure would be.

8 hours ago, Midwest LDS said:

Wow it actually happened. I'm excited to try out the new home study Come Follow Me!

This may be a small thing, but I am glad to see 'Individual' along with 'Family' in the title of the new guide. We aren't all in families and it only takes a little bit to exclude someone - or a little bit to include them. As a single person, I look forward to the new guide, just to see what the Church is focusing on.  This is exciting news. I'm waiting for tomorrow when I'm sure they will announce 20 new temples and a new missionary age of 16.  :D

Just now, dahlia said:

This may be a small thing, but I am glad to see 'Individual' along with 'Family' in the title of the new guide. We aren't all in families and it only takes a little bit to exclude someone - or a little bit to include them. As a single person, I look forward to the new guide, just to see what the Church is focusing on.  This is exciting news. I'm waiting for tomorrow when I'm sure they will announce 20 new temples and a new missionary age of 16.  :D

Agreed I'm glad they were thinking of single brothers and sisters too. We are all in this together☺.

1 minute ago, Midwest LDS said:

Agreed I'm glad they were thinking of single brothers and sisters too. We are all in this together☺.

Yep I always feel a bit left out of things being single...but this new program makes me feel included.  Because they talk about the individual.

8 hours ago, Midwest LDS said:

Wow it actually happened. I'm excited to try out the new home study Come Follow Me!

My ward was one of the test wards for the program.  They never told us it would be implemented as part of a two hour block, though.

That said, it is very, very easy to use the materials they provide for teaching at home.

Edited by person0

9 minutes ago, person0 said:

My ward was one of the test wards for the program.  They never told us it would be implemented as part of a two hour block, though.

That said, it is very, very easy to use the materials they provide for teaching at home.

That's great. I have a new daughter, so I appreciate the fact they are providing these materials to support my wife and I. I've got to make sure my daughter grows up with a strong testimony of Christ.

Edited by Midwest LDS

38 minutes ago, person0 said:

Tell us more!

This is interesting (I'm quoting from the FAQ page).... and this is a completely rambling post: 

"Aaronic and Melchizedek Priesthood holders will no longer meet together but will gather in their respective quorum meetings.

Does that mean they are having a YM completely separate from the adult men, like YW and RS are structured?  (Forgive me if I'm getting something totally wrong here, I have limited knowledge of how the men's side of things are structured).  It says that Aaronic priesthood and YW are both supposed to meet on the 2nd and 4th weeks.

Also: "First-Sunday council meetings will be discontinued" .  ????  We just started those... This seems abrupt, and I'm curious as to the reason why.  

Also "Relief Society meetings will not begin with an opening hymn or prayer but will conclude with a closing prayer. "      Strange.  I felt that YW coming into RS for a brief period (we had them join for opening exercises once a month) helped ease the transition.   

Also "Relief Society sisters and young women will not meet together for opening exercises but will gather in their respective meetings."      I get they're going for a big picture thing here, but at least for my corner I felt that YW coming into RS for a brief period (we had them join for opening exercises once a month) helped ease the transition.   

Actually there seems to be a trend for just having things always more broken up into smaller groups, like "All young women will no longer meet together but will gather in their respective classes. "  Perhaps to simplify/expedite logistics?

"Beginning in January 2019, the Gospel Principles class will be discontinued. "  WHA!?!?!  Sad day... that was the one part of structured church time my non-LDS husband enjoyed.  And Chapter 3 of Preach My Gospel doesn't go nearly into the breath/depth of basic doctrine that the "Gospel Principles" manual does.  Like it has no section on pre-mortal life.  And diving straight into GD... can be a big jump for investigators who lack the background to understand things.  

38 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

"Beginning in January 2019, the Gospel Principles class will be discontinued. "  WHA!?!?!  Sad day... that was the one part of structured church time my non-LDS husband enjoyed.  And Chapter 3 of Preach My Gospel doesn't go nearly into the breath/depth of basic doctrine that the "Gospel Principles" manual does.  Like it has no section on pre-mortal life.  And diving straight into GD... can be a big jump for investigators who lack the background to understand things.

Maybe the new curriculum will be easier for new members?

This has been in the works for several years. Pretty sure they wanted to complete the curriculum before making the move.

I was a bit bummed there wasn't a big cheer with then new 2-hour block was announced... so I went ahead and made a GIF to celebrate. :D :D :D

giphy.gif

And for those of you who want the full audio/visual experience.... I have uploaded the original video file as well.... :D