New 2 hour block to start in January 2019

pam

Okay, I need some perspective. Typical church activities for an engaged Evangelical: Sunday School: 1.0; Church: 1.5; Sunday night service: 1.25; Wednesday Night/Family Night/Small Group: 1.25; 5.0 hours of church a week (6.5 for choir/worship band members, due to practice).

I'm guessing you have us beat, but someone lay it out for me.

2 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

Okay, I need some perspective. Typical church activities for an engaged Evangelical: Sunday School: 1.0; Church: 1.5; Sunday night service: 1.25; Wednesday Night/Family Night/Small Group: 1.25; 5.0 hours of church a week (6.5 for choir/worship band members, due to practice).

I'm guessing you have us beat, but someone lay it out for me.

It depends on the unit really.

Our unit at the moment: 3 hours on Sunday, 1.5 hours mutual for youth and leaders during the week, 1.5 hours of institute for young adults, 30 minutes of seminary on weekdays for high school children, then there are usually ad-hoc activities or service projects. Ministering (formerly home teaching) takes time too, and since about everyone hasa calling of some sort there's usually some kind of meeting or interview once or twice per month to attend.

I've never (well once, briefly and tragically) been involved in any sort of choir so I'm only vaguely aware of their practices.

So it could be roughly 5 hours per week, on average, for active members.

4 hours ago, JamesZA said:

It depends on the unit really.

Our unit at the moment: 3 hours on Sunday, 1.5 hours mutual for youth and leaders during the week, 1.5 hours of institute for young adults, 30 minutes of seminary on weekdays for high school children, then there are usually ad-hoc activities or service projects. Ministering (formerly home teaching) takes time too, and since about everyone hasa calling of some sort there's usually some kind of meeting or interview once or twice per month to attend.

I've never (well once, briefly and tragically) been involved in any sort of choir so I'm only vaguely aware of their practices.

So it could be roughly 5 hours per week, on average, for active members.

I add just  a little @JamesZA 😉
Seminary = 30/40 minutes x 5 days = 2.5 - 3.0 hours

@prisonchaplain
Typical Youth (hrs)

3.0 - Sunday meetings
1.5 - Mutual (youth night)
2.5 - Seminary (early morning studies)
1.0 - Ad-hoc / lesson / talk / calling meeting / ministering / recommend interview / temple trip / etc.

8.0 hrs a week easily

14 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

"Beginning in January 2019, the Gospel Principles class will be discontinued. "  WHA!?!?!  Sad day... that was the one part of structured church time my non-LDS husband enjoyed.  And Chapter 3 of Preach My Gospel doesn't go nearly into the breath/depth of basic doctrine that the "Gospel Principles" manual does.  Like it has no section on pre-mortal life.  And diving straight into GD... can be a big jump for investigators who lack the background to understand things.  

I missed that part. I really enjoyed GP when I was investigating, but then, we had a wonderful teacher. There were days when I didn't want to go to church, but I did want to hear what was next in GP.  I think it's useful for investigators to be in class together, with a few seasoned members. Even though I've been a member for a few years, I don't know the Scriptures in depth the way a lot of members do. It is easy to get lost in a discussion where names from Scripture are being tossed back and forth and you don't know the story that goes with the names. I hope investigators and their questions will be welcomed in the new classes. 

14 hours ago, Dester Wallaboo said:

This has been in the works for several years. Pretty sure they wanted to complete the curriculum before making the move.

I was a bit bummed there wasn't a big cheer with then new 2-hour block was announced... so I went ahead and made a GIF to celebrate. :D:D:D

giphy.gif

And for those of you who want the full audio/visual experience.... I have uploaded the original video file as well.... :D

Oh, Ned Devine and his living friends would love this.

10 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

I add just  a little @JamesZA 😉

@prisonchaplain
Typical Youth (hrs)

3.0 - Sunday meetings
1.5 - Mutual (youth night)
2.5 - Seminary (early morning studies)
1.0 - Ad-hoc / lesson / talk / calling meeting / ministering / recommend interview / temple trip / etc.

8.0 hrs a week easily

Not to mention the large number of adults who get 2-years credit for their missionary service. :twothumbsup:

16 minutes ago, HereAmISendMe said:

Can anyone speak...erm...WRITE to the rumor that, at year's end, the branch/ward mission leader calling will be eliminated?  And if so, what of the branch/ward missionaries?

Here's what the actual communication says:

Under the direction of the bishop, the elders quorum president may be assigned to oversee member missionary work and temple and family history work in the ward. Generally, the elders quorum president would delegate these assignments to his counselors.

When assigned these responsibilities, the elders quorum counselor responsible for member missionary work will act in the role of ward mission leader or will supervise a ward mission leader who is a Melchizedek Priesthood holder. Similarly, the other elders quorum counselor will act as the ward temple and family history leader or will supervise a Melchizedek Priesthood holder who is called to that responsibility. Whether a bishop calls a ward mission leader and a ward temple and family history leader or the counselors in the elders quorum presidency fill those roles is up to the inspired direction of each bishop.

...from a communication sent to those in leadership positions.  I don't know of a public link for it.

On 10/7/2018 at 6:51 AM, NeedleinA said:

For our kids, it's 6:10 - 7:00 am every morning, so 50 min x 5 days/week = 250 minutes/week or a bit over 4 hours per week of seminary for active high school students.

By the way, this is recognized as real, honest-to-goodness seminary training for ministers. My son is currently serving a mission in Brazil, and had to demonstrate to the Brazilian authorities that he had four years of seminary training in order to be given a visa as a religious minister.

On 10/13/2018 at 10:06 PM, Vort said:

For our kids, it's 6:10 - 7:00 am every morning, so 50 min x 5 days/week = 250 minutes/week or a bit over 4 hours per week of seminary for active high school students.

By the way, this is recognized as real, honest-to-goodness seminary training for ministers. My son is currently serving a mission in Brazil, and had to demonstrate to the Brazilian authorities that he had four years of seminary training in order to be given a visa as a religious minister.

That sounds much more inline with my experience. I remember it being an hour of early morning seminary, but 50 minutes is very close so it could have been the same. I was surprised to hear some were getting only a half hour.

Edited by SpiritDragon

On 10/13/2018 at 9:06 PM, Vort said:

How much time is that really? I believe there are about 35 weeks in the seminary year. If a young man or woman attends seminary daily, missing only for the occasional illness or being out of town (or oversleeping), it's reasonable to assume they will attend 30 weeks per year. (Our seminary program requires 80% attendance in order to graduate.) That makes 7500 minutes per year. Over four years, that's 30,000 minutes, or 500 hours of seminary class time.

That doesn't include individual scripture study time, of course, which would ideally be about the same, but realistically is probably more like an hour or two per week for most students. Still, that's well over 100 hours of personal scripture study, perhaps over 200 hours, in the course of the seminary program. That is no mean amount.