General Conference: A New Structure for Sundays

Prophet Russell M. Nelson opened the Fall 2018 General Conference with a bang by announcing the full transition to a family-centered, church-supported method of teaching and living the gospel and changing the structure of Sunday meetings to fit the new guidelines. Quentin L. Cook of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles explained the new program. “The Sunday meeting schedule will be adjusted in the following ways, beginning in January 2019,” Elder Cook said. “The Sunday Church meetings will consist of a 60-minute sacrament meeting each Sunday, focused on the Savior, the ordinance of the sacrament, and spiritual messages. After time for transition to classes, Church members will attend a 50-minute class that will alternate each Sunday. Sunday School will be held on the first and third Sundays. Priesthood quorums, Relief Society, and Young Women meetings will be held on the second and fourth Sundays. Meetings on the fifth Sunday will be under the direction of the bishop. Primary will be held each week during this same 50-minute period and...

View the full article

3 hours ago, Grunt said:

It's going to be tough on those, particularly children and young adults, without strong home programs.

Those group were my initial concern as well.  On one hand, perhaps retention with shorter classes?  I was happy to here they were keeping both 'hours' of Primary, which should help some.  

Thinking though, it is going to be rough on kids without strong homes... but then again when was it not rough?  I don't say that to dismiss the struggle-- no no!  But it sounds like a great opportunity for a strong ministering family to help these individuals out.  Perhaps invite a child to your family study time?  (With the parent's blessing of course).  Heck, perhaps invite the whole family!  Yes, that is putting more on each member rather than the corporate 'they' but... aren't isn't each member supposed to each be serving our fellow man?  A time to step up and serve?

Guest MormonGator
4 hours ago, Grunt said:

It's going to be tough on those, particularly children and young adults, without strong home programs.

My thoughts as well.

15 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

On one hand, perhaps retention with shorter classes?

I'm not sure it'll help with retention. If you won't go to three hours, you probably won't go to two either. 

22 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

I meant maybe kids would remember more with a shorter lesson.  Thinking of my 4 year old...

I think my kids will be disappointed.  They like church for the same reasons I do.  Having Dad teach them more than he does now isn't the same.

Regardless, it's done.  It's now become my responsibility to figure out how to make this work for my family.

16 minutes ago, Grunt said:

I think my kids will be disappointed.  They like church for the same reasons I do.  Having Dad teach them more than he does now isn't the same.

Regardless, it's done.  It's now become my responsibility to figure out how to make this work for my family.

I get you there.  My 4 yo begs me many days a week to go to Primary.  And I honestly get more out of SS and RS than Sacrament talks.  This will be an adjustment.