What is your take on the role of our works at Judgment Day?

Telemantros

Greetings! A question for your lot!

So in the last moment in history before we enjoy God forever is the judgment seat. The bible is pretty clear that all of us (e.g. Mt. 12:36, Rom. 14:10, 12; 2 Cor. 5:10; Heb. 4:13), believer and non-believer, face some sort of judgement for what we have done with our lives. But it also seems clear (to me anyway) that Christians will not be judged pertaining to our salvation (e.g. John 3:16, 18; 5:24; Romans 8:1). So it seems that our lives/actions are being judged here. If this is all correct so far, here's my question I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on: If we/Christians are judged according to our works, and this is not for salvation, then what is it for? Is it to determine rewards? Is it just to count the evidence that indicates we where believers in the first place? Is it to fulfill justice and balance the divine ledger officially?

Assuming this question is making sense, what do you guys/gals think?

Peace, Tele

Edited by Telemantros

35 minutes ago, Telemantros said:

If we/Christians are judged according to our works, and this is not for salvation, then what is it for?

It is to finalize how shiny our resurrected body will be and which mansion we get to go to.  (forgive my flippancy, however, the statement is technically accurate)

I think most of us are inclined to view Judgment Day as the day of formal consignment to one of the kingdoms of heaven (aka “degrees of glory”—see D&C 76), though if you really dig into Latter-day Saint soteriology it becomes apparent that peiole can have a pretty good picture of where they’ll end up long before that day due to factors like the Holy Spirit providing an “earnest” of our eternal reward, the possibility of having one’s calling and election “made sure”, and the event of the resurrection itself (in LDS teaching, the resurrection occurs over a thousand-year span; with the righteous generally coming forth towards the beginning and the wicked generally coming forth towards the end of that time).

There is also, as you say, an element of balancing the divine ledger of justice and mercy in the LDS view of the final judgment; though I would characterize that more as a final accounting for the purpose of righting of past wrongs, reconciling past estrangements, and finally healing any lingering old wounds. 

On 10/6/2018 at 10:54 PM, Telemantros said:

Greetings! A question for your lot!

So in the last moment in history before we enjoy God forever is the judgment seat. The bible is pretty clear that all of us (e.g. Mt. 12:36, Rom. 14:10, 12; 2 Cor. 5:10; Heb. 4:13), believer and non-believer, face some sort of judgement for what we have done with our lives. But it also seems clear (to me anyway) that Christians will not be judged pertaining to our salvation (e.g. John 3:16, 18; 5:24; Romans 8:1). So it seems that our lives/actions are being judged here. If this is all correct so far, here's my question I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on: If we/Christians are judged according to our works, and this is not for salvation, then what is it for? Is it to determine rewards? Is it just to count the evidence that indicates we where believers in the first place? Is it to fulfill justice and balance the divine ledger officially?

Assuming this question is making sense, what do you guys/gals think?

Peace, Tele

I am a Messianic Gentile.... not a Latter Day Saint yet......

but I think that quite a few LDS may agree that this is a pretty insightful description of 

the Life Review..... and how painful it can be to go through life in a selfish and irreligious manner.  

And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

https://www.near-death.com/experiences/notable/howard-storm.html#a03 

3. The Life Review of Howard Storm

.... What they responded to was how I had interacted with other people. That was the long and short of it. Unfortunately, most of my interactions with other people didn't measure up with how I should have interacted, which was in a loving way. Whenever I did react during my life in a loving way they rejoiced.

Most of the time I found that my interactions with other people had been manipulative. During my professional career, for example, I saw myself sitting in my office, playing the college professor, while a student came to me with a personal problem. I sat there looking compassionate, and patient, and loving, while inside I was bored to death. I would check my watch under my desk as I anxiously waited for the student to finish.