Brainstorming - Sabbath a Delight

So I have been thinking about the new change to church time, it's purpose, my own shortcomings, etc.

I've also been thinking about post on here that I've been searching for and cannot find (apologies to whoever's post it was that I cannot find it or remember who it was by) where someone stated that their children love primary and shortening it would be sad in that regard (or something along those lines).

That got me thinking about ways that I can both make home study/church exciting for my children so they are excited about it (like whoever's (apologies again) children) and engaged, but also ways that I can make it exciting and engaging for me and Sister The Folk Prophet.

Of course the FHE go to for making it exciting for kids (as I recall from my childhood) was always dessert. So there's idea 1. Dessert.

One of the other ways my wife and I have tried to set the sabbath apart is by staying in our Sunday clothes throughout the day. This helps remind us that it is a special day. So there's idea 2. Dress differently.

I remember once, recently, when my mother was teaching a lesson in church on keeping the Sabbath day holy that in discussion the previous evening when we were visiting them that she had realized the connection between holy day and holiday -- and had the epiphany to think of the sabbath as a weekly holiday. In consideration of that, what appropriate other ways might the Sabbath be celebrated to be special a la Christmas/Easter/Hallow...er...um....Martin Luth....no...….well, let's face it...there are only 3 good holidays and one of them is evil. ;):D

J/K. I love Halloween and think it can be quite wholesome and can strengthen family, etc.

Anyhow...so with that as a springboard...go. Let's brainstorm on the matter a bit.

How can the Sabbath be made a delight?

2 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Christmas/Easter/Hallow...er...um....Martin Luth....no...….well, let's face it...there are only 3 good holidays and one of them is evil. ;):D

I’m slightly offended thanksgiving isn’t mentioned!

6 minutes ago, Fether said:

I’m slightly offended thanksgiving isn’t mentioned!

Ah...darn it. I am too! Whoops!

Edit: To be fair, Thanksgiving is really just Christmas: Day 1. :D

Edited by The Folk Prophet

2 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

How can the Sabbath be made a delight?

This is a good brainstorm, and I am wondering how do we change mental constructs in our selves and our children that Sabbath is boring? My thoughts stem from this:

1. Change cultural traditions (family of origin traditions) that prevent Sabbath from being a day of worship (continued worship).

2. Study "Come Follow Me" as a family

3. Desserts is always good :D

4. Invite young men and young women over to have study groups or to complete Duty to God/Personal Progress

5. Invite other families to come over to study "Come Follow Me"

6. Discuss how to serve ministering families, minister to less active, minister to friends/neighbors

7. The Church, its stakes, and its ward can discuss how to bless Anddenex's life (donations accepted) ;)

8. Family History (how to help children/adults understand its importance even if they feel it is boring)

9. Plan out temple attendance for those who can attend

10. Impromptu lessons on Church topics

19 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

Discuss how to serve ministering families, minister to less active, minister to friends/neighbors

How about actually ministering? As a family I mean. 

14 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

I'm curious how others feel about this.  The EQP asked us (the RSP) to inquire of the sisters who came for ministering interviews what they looked for in ministering brothers (the EQP were asking the brothers the same question).  One of the most common responses was that they did not want ministering brothers to come on Sunday.  They always volunteered with that an explanation that they wanted either (a) to spend that with immediate family (those who have kids at home) or (b) to travel to visit nearby family.

In short, they don't want people from the ward coming to see them on Sunday.

8 minutes ago, zil said:

I'm curious how others feel about this.  The EQP asked us (the RSP) to inquire of the sisters who came for ministering interviews what they looked for in ministering brothers (the EQP were asking the brothers the same question).  One of the most common responses was that they did not want ministering brothers to come on Sunday.  They always volunteered with that an explanation that they wanted either (a) to spend that with immediate family (those who have kids at home) or (b) to travel to visit nearby family.

Because this is the church of hermits?

1 hour ago, Anddenex said:

This is a good brainstorm, and I am wondering how do we change mental constructs in our selves and our children that Sabbath is boring? My thoughts stem from this:

1. Change cultural traditions (family of origin traditions) that prevent Sabbath from being a day of worship (continued worship).

2. Study "Come Follow Me" as a family

3. Desserts is always good :D

4. Invite young men and young women over to have study groups or to complete Duty to God/Personal Progress

6. Discuss how to serve ministering families, minister to less active, minister to friends/neighbors

7. The Church, its stakes, and its ward can discuss how to bless Anddenex's life (donations accepted) ;)

8. Family History (how to help children/adults understand its importance even if they feel it is boring)

9. Plan out temple attendance for those who can attend

10. Impromptu lessons on Church topics

We are thinking of revisiting the Teachings of the Presidents of the church manuals.

1 hour ago, zil said:

In their minds, Sunday is a day to spend with family, and they don't want that interrupted / shortened by visits from ministering brothers (and /or, presumably, sisters).

But why? Where does this thinking come from? 

So I'm considering some kind of tradiation(s) akin to orthodox Jew sabbaths or passover. Special meals. Special lighting (candle light?). Special music. Special meals. Not as 'rules', obviously. As tradition by way of choice.

4 hours ago, zil said:

My response would easily be, "If Christ were in town would you allow him to visit on Sunday"? If so, why then wouldn't you allow his servants to visit you on Sunday?

Another question, "If you had a best friend in town, would you allow them to visit you on Sunday"? If so, aren't we supposed to become great friends with our ministering brothers and sisters?

If a ministering brother/sister, receives an impression to come to my home on Sunday, the servants of my master are always allowed in my home no matter what day.

Having friends (this includes my ministering brethren) or family come over to study "Come Follow Me" would be a great time to increase spiritual learning together.

First off - "Fun is an attitude, not an activity" - C. Tuttle

Since Sharing Time has been cut - look up what those have been in the past and do them at home. There are also great object lessons and games that teach Gospel Principles you can do.

Serve! I especially recommend secret service - in the home, neighborhood, whatever. Who doesn't like trying to be sneaky and not get caught?

To add a surprise element, put all sorts of ideas in a jar and do what is chosen (ie read a story about an ancestor, play geneopardy, make treats and take to a widow, write thank you notes...)

My kids love Church.  They’ve long graduated from Primary now but they thought Primary was like going to playdates on steroids.

Anyway, we spend Sabbath with family so I think what’s gonna happen is we’re gonna have an extra hour with family.  We’re more than likely gonna end up studying Come Follow Me for FHE.

We’re in choir and it’s super awesome way to spend Sabbath too.  So if you’re not in it, try joining with your entire family and see if they like it.  My ward choir don’t mind if you can’t sing.  I mean, my husband can’t hold a tune to save his life and he has a deep bass voice that carries.  He’s in the choir anyway making us sound interesting. Haha.