Ten Day Fast from Social Media

classylady

I've been thinking on this.  A lot.

There are some places online which are toxic for me, so obvious scrap them-- I've been trying to before, and going to use this challenge as a big external push in that direction.

Some things aren't really the place but more certain individuals / conversations.  They just aren't good for me.

The third thing would be moderation in the good things to focus on the great.

13 minutes ago, CV75 said:

Does this count as social media? C-yas!!!

I was thinking about it and if he asked the brethren to do the same, which I expect he will at some point and, as for me and this site, I'm here for one reason: to discuss the gospel on a daily basis. I stepped away for a time, being frustrated with the...um...garbage here (of which I am a part). But I found that without the daily gospel discussion that I was thinking about the gospel much less, etc. So I returned. So I don't know if I'd include this site or not. But I expect that if (by which I mean when) he asks the brethren to do the same that I will likely fast from the internet entirely (other than what's required for work, etc), and from tv/movies entirely (which I mostly consume on the internet anyhow).

18 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I was thinking about it and if he asked the brethren to do the same, which I expect he will at some point and, as for me and this site, I'm here for one reason: to discuss the gospel on a daily basis. I stepped away for a time, being frustrated with the...um...garbage here (of which I am a part). But I found that without the daily gospel discussion that I was thinking about the gospel much less, etc. So I returned. So I don't know if I'd include this site or not. But I expect that if (by which I mean when) he asks the brethren to do the same that I will likely fast from the internet entirely (other than what's required for work, etc), and from tv/movies entirely (which I mostly consume on the internet anyhow).

15 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

It seems that the goal is to give up the world for 10 days to see if we might invite in the Spirit to become our personal guide and friend.

I was joking... I don't consider a message board to be social media.

Social media are interactive computer-mediated technologies that facilitate the creation and sharing of information, ideas, career interests and other forms of expression via virtual communities and networks.

Not really much wiggle room to say mormonhub doesn't qualify.

For the past couple years now, we have done a 1 week tech fast the week prior to Conference.  That's why I hadn't participated this week. I actually forgot the first day. But my kids reminded me.

It includes any technology that is primarily electronics. So for us, this site counted. The only exceptions we're for items that involved external commitments.  My children who have college classes have to do work online and submit homework online, for example.

This isn't a commandment, so I'm not sure how important is to consider what Pres Nelson meant.  I believe it is important to catch the vision of what he's talking about.  It was worth it for us to be rid of electronics for a week.

This got the kids to stop gaming for a week. Any other week they'd weep and wail, but they don't gnash teeth 😁.  But this week, they simply give it up.  It has become tradition.

Edited by Guest

45 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

With our beloved sisters away we're sure to start World War III.

Well, if it's any consolation, I'll probably be so busy with work this week that you won't have me complaining so much.

33 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I joined the church largely because of social media. My first contact with the missionaries was via Facebook. I have mixed feelings about this. 

I expect most will come back, possibly (hopefully) making some changes in the way in which they use social media. I've believed for a long time that it would be to everybody's benefit to take regular social media fasts of this type.

Guest MormonGator
Just now, SilentOne said:

. I've believed for a long time that it would be to everybody's benefit to take regular social media fasts of this type.

Maybe. I don't claim to know what would benefit everyone else, I only know what would benefit me. 

I just logged off my Facebook early. It was good because ironically I got into a very emotionally painful discussion about the social media fast where I had to unfollow someone. I had gone off Facebook before for a time and it was lovely. I think this will be good for me.

I don't know if I'm going to remove all social media. Actually, that's hard for me. I'm an older millennial and I don't know what most of the stuff the young'ns are using these days. I sort of haunt this forum without posting much lately, but I have a teacher forum that is a good support. 

Some people use social media to track famous people, talk politics, compare themselves to others, etc.  I suspect the point of the fast is to escape this kind of thing.  President Nelson encouraged (a) including all media that "brings negative and impure thoughts" (which would include TV, movies, music, news, books/magazines, and the like, as well as social media), and (b) praying about what you should exclude during your fast.  For me, that's never a quick process, so I'm not worried about, for example, starting tomorrow and going for those 10 days.

I'd estimate social media to constitute about 90%* of my media intake and brings about 98%* of my stress and negative and impure thoughts lately, so I'm good to get started now. If I think of something to add, I'll increase the length of my fast.

*Numbers estimated while composing this post and thus may be slightly exaggerated.

Guest MormonGator

I enjoy my time on social media. I like being able to check the news, discuss/debate politics, music, etc. Some of my friends live far away and it's the best way to communicate with them, check up on their lives. It doesn't give me any stress at all. 

This definitely seems to be the most popular of his 4 challenges. Kind of a shame the ladies won't be around for the next 10 days. I was personally hoping to hear what plans anyone had made to fulfill the "participate fully in Relief Society" one.

2 minutes ago, Connie said:

This definitely seems to be the most popular of his 4 challenges. Kind of a shame the ladies won't be around for the next 10 days. I was personally hoping to hear what plans anyone had made to fulfill the "participate fully in Relief Society" one.

As of now, my plans are to read the recommended documents and ponder on how I can improve in that area. I should probably do that prayerfully.

I figured out how many pages I need to read per day to finish my current read-through of the Book of Mormon and then read it again by the end of the year and have written each day's chapter goal on my calendar. I'm going to finish up today's reading as soon as I sign off here.

I haven't figured out my temple schedule yet, but do plan to do so.

So I, at least, plan on following through on all of them.